• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Love it. Super fast, great handling, superb build quality!

Yes, the feeling of quality is palpable. Unshakeable chassis and precise controls go a long way.

I continue to be amazed by how comfortable the ride is. Very compliant and well-damped. Not even Manhattan potholes unsettle the car. You feel the bumps but never any aftershocks or lateral to-and-fro.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the feeling of quality is palpable. Unshakeable chassis and precise controls go a long way.

I continue to be amazed by how comfortable the ride is. Very compliant and well-damped. Not even Manhattan potholes unsettle the car. You feel the bumps but never any aftershocks or lateral to-and-fro.

I too was amazed by how modern Ferrari's like the 458 Spider, 599, 612, California and FF handled Central New Jersey roads. Like New York we too have a serious pothole problem, thanks to brine, road salts and the amount of construction vehicles use our roads. I was expecting a teeth jittery **** ride and I was left with something more structurally sound then my Honda.

Speaking of Ferrari. Hopefully the names don't trigger anyone ;) . His later works are pretty cool, which includes BMW M-Cars, Lamborghini, McLaren. Just wish the Ferrari one (his most viewed video) has the attached exhaust notes.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I too was amazed by how modern Ferrari's like the 458 Spider, 599, 612, California and FF handled Central New Jersey roads. Like New York we too have a serious pothole problem, thanks to brine, road salts and the amount of construction vehicles use our roads. I was expecting a teeth jittery **** ride and I was left with something more structurally sound then my Honda.

Speaking of Ferrari. Hopefully the names don't trigger anyone ;)

I've heard that of modern Ferraris too. As in the case of Porsche, a lightweight, extremely rigid chassis pays dividends.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard that of modern Ferraris too. As in the case of Porsche, an extremely rigid chassis pays dividends.

I know what you mean. The Scuderia, 16M, GTO, Stradale were all pretty rigid and taxing on the body.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
What are you talking about? Most of the people in this thread are talking about changing their oil more often than the manufacturer recommends.
Most?

Not to my eyes. 3,000 kilometers is the standard oil change interval.
7,500 miles?
remotely close to proper car care? hope so.

Porsche recommends 10,000 mile oil changes, with Mobil 1?

Okay, take out your wallet. throw it on the ground. pour thinners on it. and light it with a spray can of brake cleaner and a lighter.

Or, get better oil, and change it yourself. regularly.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know what you mean. The Scuderia, 16M, GTO, Stradale were all pretty rigid and taxing on the body.

I mean the opposite. Since the chassis on these cars are lighter and more rigid, their suspensions work more efficiently. Hence, Ferraris and Porsches are much more comfortable than people might imagine.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Most?

7,500 miles?

Okay, take out your wallet. throw it on the ground. pour thinners on it. and light it with a spray can of brake cleaner and a lighter.

I literally posted a link to Porsche's recommendation for the GT3 which is 12,000 miles. Most modern cars are either 5k or 10k miles using synthetic oil.

I'm glad you know more than the engineers at the manufacturers though.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Most?

7,500 miles?

Most manufacturers have very long oil change intervals. They are appealing to the broader market, which wants the least hassle and isn't likely to own the car for more than five years / 60,000 miles.

However, as you know, this isn't what's mechanically optimal. I'm going to change every 2-3,000 miles going forward.

The conundrum is that I'm stuck using warranty-compliant oil as opposed to high-end stuff that is better for my engine.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Maybe you could get Porsche to sign a waiver if you explain to them you want to actually use better oil than warranty?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I literally posted a link to Porsche's recommendation for the GT3 which is 12,000 miles. Most modern cars are either 5k or 10k miles using synthetic oil.

I'm glad you know more than the engineers at the manufacturers though.

See above post. Manufacturer instructions are for common consumers who want the least hassle and short term expense. However, the "right" answer is actually different a lot of the time. Porsche engineers themselves recommend (unofficially) a completely different oil change process than what it says on paper--which is to change both the oil and filter every 2,000-3,000 miles (assuming predominantly street use). They also recommend high quality race oil over the common stuff approved on paper. The latter has all sorts of detergents that improve emissions but are very harsh on the engine internals and prioritize oil stability (less frequent changes) over performance (superior engine cooling and maintenance).

Also, you should read what you posted more carefully. Officially, Porsche says the replacement engine in those cars needs an oil change after the first 6,000 miles, not 12,000. There were a lot of problems with the 3.8L engine in that car--so bad that Porsche had to replace all of them and provide a massive 10-year / 100,000 mile powertrain warranty to make up for it.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe you could get Porsche to sign a waiver if you explain to them you want to actually use better oil than warranty?

Interesting thought. I assume not possible. My only solace is I now have direct info from some of the top engineers at the company that the "better" oil is in fact better for the car. They just aren't allowed to say so on paper.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'm surprised this has not been said yet given the legit double entendre: peak oil.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most?

7,500 miles?

That translates to less then 2,000 miles per interval, can you see how that might seem like overkill when most dealership service centers recommend 5,000 miles? I've had a master certified Ferrari technician state to my face that 7500 miles is completely fine for my engine, oil type, and in the manner I drive (like a grandma most of the time). He even stated I could go 10K if I so chose to. Not everyone can or wants to change their own oil, myself included. The way the drain plug is situated causes the oil to drip all over the frame, so having it up on a lift makes it easier using brake cleaner to mop up the mess.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
10k? Bro, you want to risk it like that? I don't think so.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads