• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Because it sounds good to politicians.

Well, that is part of the point I'm trying to demonstrate, yes. It is astonishing how little diligence people do on the causes they are passionate about. People care more about caring than being right.

Of course, if someone wants to show where the analysis is astray, please do so.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The M1 today is appreciated in the same light as the Countach, Testerossa and Slantnose. It's a beautiful car...unlike the I8 which is an ugly duckling

The M1 for me is the coolest BMW of all time. Its history is cool, designed by Italdesign/Giugiaro, contracted to Lamborghini to build, Lambo goes belly up and BMW people essentially have to steal the machinery/dies from Lamborghini to build the cars, as the factory was going to be shuttered and there was concern some assets could be sold off. The loss of the machinery would have been a big financial loss for BMW and killed the M1.

The racing series BMW was going to enter the M1s into gets killed off, so BMW creates the BMW M1 Procar series. F1 drivers like Niki Lauda, Nelson Piguet, Hans Stuck, Clay Raggazoni etc. compete in the series. I was a little kid but remember seeing some of those races on cable tv.

The road car could compete with a 512BB or Countach and showed more than a decade before the NSX, that a company could build a mid engine supercar that was comfortable, well built, and didn't have the compromises that most extreme cars required.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
M1? Meh. Coolest BMW ever in my book:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, that is part of the point I'm trying to demonstrate, yes. It is astonishing how little diligence people do on the causes they are passionate about. People care more about caring than being right.

Of course, if someone wants to show where the analysis is astray, please do so.

If you look at this chart for the US vs the rest of the world it proves your point further.

The only thing a politician can arguably poke at is particulate matter produced by car exhausts at near face level can lead to respiratory issues, but that has nothing to do with Global Warming.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you look at this chart for the US vs the rest of the world it proves your point further.

The only thing a politician can arguably poke at is particulate matter produced by car exhausts at near face level can lead to respiratory issues, but that has nothing to do with Global Warming.

People conflate air quality with climate change quite readily, it seems.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great engine, the rest of the car for me... meh. I had read the build quality on them was questionable, and while its good looking, it doesn't really do much for me. Its sort of from that time period when manufacturers were giving us modern retro cars like the modern VW Bug and the Thunderbird. To me the most impressive thing is the price of them today. Its never been on my list of dream cars, but clearly it appeals to some people.

As the kids are saying these days...That interior "though"

z8.jpg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve not been alive for all of BMW’s history, but i think that they made four true halo cars in their history - the 507, the M1, the Z8, and the i8. The first three being legendary, and the fourth one...well let’s forget about that.

The greatest BMW ever built:

Still amazes me how good this car looks 25 years later. My favourite car of all time, no question.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
M1? Meh. Coolest BMW ever in my book:

View attachment 1194593

To me, that is the prettiest BMW of all time, although I don't like those wheel on it. Sadly, like the M1 the 3.0CSL's were never officially sold in the US. My uncle had its US sibling a 3.0CS when they were new in the early 70s. I rode in it as a kid a few times. It's also a car that one has to do a nut and bolt restoration on (or buy one that has had a nut and bolt restoration) and have every body panel rustproofed. Those cars are notorious for rust everywhere. People even joked that they were rusting in the showrooms when they were brand new. Still a beautiful and very collectible car.

As the kids are saying these days...That interior "though"

View attachment 1194620

For me that interior though...in a bad way. Not of fan of centrally mounted gauges etc, be it in a 250 Lusso or a Z8. Even the original 507 didn't use centrally mounted gauges.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ran some numbers based on greenhouse gas emission percentages (EPA) and the relative 100-year global warming potential of each greenhouse gas (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration).

Punch line is that the U.S. transportation sector (including commercial vehicles, airplanes, etc.) comprises only 0.5% of the country's hypothetical global warming impact. Passenger vehicles are responsible for about 40% of that amount.

According to government data, the main culprit of anthropogenic global warming is refrigeration and air conditioning, which is responsible for 82% of the U.S.'s hypothetical global warming impact.

What is my math missing? Why do we care about reducing automobile emissions when the benefit of cutting them to zero would be a rounding error?

View attachment 1194584
Paging @Gibonius

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me, that is the prettiest BMW of all time, although I don't like those wheel on it. Sadly, like the M1 the 3.0CSL's were never officially sold in the US. My uncle had its US sibling a 3.0CS when they were new in the early 70s. I road in it as a kid a few times. It's also a car that one has to do a nut and bolt restoration on (or buy one that has had a nut and bolt restoration) and have every body panel rustproofed. Those cars are notorious for rust everywhere. People even joked that they were rusting in the showrooms when they were brand new. Still a beautiful and very collectible car.

For me that interior though...in a bad way. Not of fan of centrally mounted gauges etc, be it in a 250 Lusso or a Z8. Even the original 507 didn't use centrally mounted gauges.
So that must mean you didn't like this either? Speedo is in the center of the dash.

2006 GT.jpg

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So that must mean you didn't like this either? Speedo is in the center of the dash.

View attachment 1194634

No not a fan of that either. In an actual racing car, all the driver really depends on is the tach, so where they put the speedo doesn't matter if they give it one at all.

Ferrari 512S from around 1970

Another layout for gauges I don't like....Lamborghini's 1970's Urraco...a design they ditched in subsquent baby Lambos such as the Silhouette and Jalpa.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No not a fan of that either. In an actual racing car, all the driver really depends on is the tach, so where they put the speedo doesn't matter if they give it one at all.

Ferrari 512S from around 1970
View attachment 1194639

Another layout for gauges I don't like....Lamborghini's 1970's Urraco...a design they ditched in subsquent baby Lambos such as the Silhouette and Jalpa.

View attachment 1194640

To each their own. For me as long as both the speedo and tach are mounted together I have no issue where they are. With in reason of course, obviously if they're mounted on the ceiling or on the floor I have an issue with that lol.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads