• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
new Lexus '24 GX

FyM0xF4WIAw2moD

grill is getting better
Increase the peace crease!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
There's two things about Subaru:

1) that phucking "variable transmission."
2) Insane demand. They go for way over MSRP based on my shopping a couple of years ago. I mean, you can get into a BMW 3 series for the cost of a Outback.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

2) Insane demand. They go for way over MSRP based on my shopping a couple of years ago. I mean, you can get into a BMW 3 series for the cost of a Outback.
Well the Blooming Onion is pretty good at Outback.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Corolla GR is hard to find and +$40K.

A friend in Berkeley got one last month at MSRP
I'd love to drive the lightweight Corolla GR Morizo Edition w/Cup 2 tires, tiny little 1.6L turbo with 300HP & 295 lb ft of torque. It even comes in a manuel and AWD. Looks fun as hell. I remember seeing dealers asking $30K ADM (for a corolla). Not practical but for a 20 something auto enthusiast with no kids, this would be a fun car capable of track days and getting to work.

corolla.png

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Outback demand isn’t what it once was but these $45K outback’s make me look elsewhere. The transmission leaves a lot to be desired.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So the SA that we used for like 20 years at MB is now at an Audi dealership owned by the same company. I just texted to see if they own a BMW dealership in a nearby city and if he can lease me one.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very sad showing at the Denver hertz president’s circle lot today (and literally zero cars in the Gold and five star lots, so they were just sending everyone there). DEN was also the busiest I’ve seen an airport since COVID.

New ford edge was the best thing on the lot by far. Perfectly good car, but was hoping for something “fun” on this trip.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m Hertz PC but have not rented from them since I heard this bullshit about them reporting cars stolen because of their bookkeeping errors, causing customers to be arrested and jailed.

I’m going to Norway (Aalesund) in September and they don’t even have any cars. I have a reservation at Sixt for a BMW 2-series but am hoping to find a proper sports car for rent. I’ve heard the Norwegian driving roads are amazing

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I prefer National and their executive aisle, but Hertz was half the price so…National pretty frequently has mustangs/mustang convertibles which would have been a good option for June mountain roads.

Related note: who doesn’t have a car booked before they arrive at the airport?

I guess you always see people waiting in line (especially at night if there have been cancellations/blown connections) but there were two people on the shuttle bus trying to book cars on their phones…one lady got off because she said she couldn’t get one.

From their dress and luggage they looked like leisure travelers (and this was 9AM on a Saturday). Did they not know they were coming?
Clearly know how to use the app…why not book it as soon as you decide to fly (or at the airport before you leave) rather than show up and risk them not having cars and/or gouging you to ****.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Corolla GR is hideous in person. A Civic Type R is a sensible option

I put them both in the hideous category. They perform well but I'd never buy one. I drove the last gen Civic Type R and have to admit that the gearbox is fantastic and it's probably the best in that category. Sadly the Honda gearbox feels miles better than the Golf R, GTI manual.

So the SA that we used for like 20 years at MB is now at an Audi dealership owned by the same company. I just texted to see if they own a BMW dealership in a nearby city and if he can lease me one.
During/after covid, lease numbers were horrible. Are they any better now? We've been putting off car shopping for my wife and given the low miles she drives, I'm finally ready to consider a lease just so she's always in a warranty. Looking at mid size SUV/Crossovers like the Volvo XC60 size. We haven't driven anything yet. She just spots stuff on the road like, "that Genesis seems nice."

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m Hertz PC but have not rented from them since I heard this bullshit about them reporting cars stolen because of their bookkeeping errors, causing customers to be arrested and jailed.

I’m going to Norway (Aalesund) in September and they don’t even have any cars. I have a reservation at Sixt for a BMW 2-series but am hoping to find a proper sports car for rent. I’ve heard the Norwegian driving roads are amazing
Have you tried using corporate codes (assuming your company has them)?

I discovered during the COVID car shortage that booking through Concur (or digging in and finding the code that Concur uses) would magically make inventory appear at sold out locations for semi reasonable prices.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you tried using corporate codes (assuming your company has them)?

I discovered during the COVID car shortage that booking through Concur (or digging in and finding the code that Concur uses) would magically make inventory appear at sold out locations for semi reasonable prices.
Fellow Concur user and can concur that this worked for me as well. I try to book direct (hotel or airline app) whenever possible but so many airports had no cars available until I went into Concur and then was able to book.

giphy.gif

Attachments

• giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    13.5 MB · Views: 103

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

cvt is why we passed on a subaru but they offer manual option on a couple models

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads