• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone else. I have four kids, so anything but a full size SUV would be too small.
How much more space do you have in that full size SUV? If you still have an empty seat then might as well go for one more to fill up the vehicle.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much more space do you have in that full size SUV? If you still have an empty seat then might as well go for one more to fill up the vehicle.

That third seat in the second row makes it a pain in the butt to get into the third row. With young kids, it’s necessary for mom or dad to sit in the back, and the middle of the back row is the best place to be.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Having four kids is hardly eco-friendly.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do cars get better or worse gas mileage at altitude? I recently was next to one of the newer Suburbans...those things are massive.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do cars get better or worse gas mileage at altitude? I recently was next to one of the newer Suburbans...those things are massive.

Based on a quick Google search, it appears that you get better fuel efficiency, but lower power at altitude.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Someone else. I have four kids, so anything but a full size SUV would be too small.
I don’t recall whether you have towing requirements, but minivan…

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t recall whether you have towing requirements, but minivan…

Yeah, towing was the dealbreaker for the minivan. We have a 2012 Sienna that has served us very well through years of ultracycling and road trips.

A hybrid Sienna (or electric if they’re doing them any time soon) would be a possibility a few years down the road. The Suburban is definitely not going to be the daily driver.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, towing was the dealbreaker for the minivan. We have a 2012 Sienna that has served us very well through years of ultracycling and road trips.

A hybrid Sienna (or electric if they’re doing them any time soon) would be a possibility a few years down the road. The Suburban is definitely not going to be the daily driver.

The problem is that you bought the wrong camper!

This new (possibly vaporware, but they claim it is entering production next year) option has an electric drivetrain so you can tow it without taxing the vehicle:

1679675397809.png

Collapses downwards for aero:
1679675637481.png

This particular model is probably too silly (the size is pretty limited and the downward collapsing design probably becomes way too complicated/heavy/design limiting)...

But I could see this idea making a lot of sense in the future. Obviously has extra costs associated, but building an RV on top of a simplified electric skateboard that only needs drive wheels and brakes could help alleviate the need for a full size truck (or larger) just to tow the camper.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem is that you bought the wrong camper!

This new (possibly vaporware, but they claim it is entering production next year) option has an electric drivetrain so you can tow it without taxing the vehicle:

View attachment 1925629

Collapses downwards for aero:
View attachment 1925631

This particular model is probably too silly (the size is pretty limited and the downward collapsing design probably becomes way too complicated/heavy/design limiting)...

But I could see this idea making a lot of sense in the future. Obviously has extra costs associated, but building an RV on top of a simplified electric skateboard that only needs drive wheels and brakes could help alleviate the need for a full size truck (or larger) just to tow the camper.

That’s a cool concept, but I wonder how the environmental cost of using two power trains to go anywhere compares to just having one vehicle with lower efficiency.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That’s a cool concept, but I wonder how the environmental cost of using two power trains to go anywhere compares to just having one vehicle with lower efficiency.

I think the winner will be whoever figures out how to do it using reclaimed powertrains from old Teslas and other EVs.

Those cars hit a point in their life where the battery pack (or the replacement battery pack) is EOL and the rest of the car is showing its age. Busted up exterior/shabby interior/outdated tech/normal wear components like suspension are shot.

The electric drivetrains at that point probably have quite a lot of life left in them, but nobody is going to spend the money on new batteries for a shitbox. Rip them out, slap them underneath a camper, hook them up to a lower-cost battery bank (since it has less size/shape restrictions) and away you go.

Also, I believe a big part of their target market is people who are driving EVs already. There's clearly an environmental cost to the second powertrain, but is it worse than buying an F250 for road trips because your electric car only gets 150 miles to a charge when towing the camper?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Yeah, that doesn't sound too eco-friendly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads