• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any northerners have experience with the Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus? They are performance all seasons. I was 99% certain I'd get snows (255/35/19) but I've been reading online reviews and they seem to be decently well rated even in snow. Tirerack has them leading the pack in ultra-high performance AS segment.

Never felt I needed anything other than decent all seasons in my previous AWD SUV's but your standard Ford Edge fleet car is as far from 'performance' oriented as one can get.

One other consideration is that I drive far less for work post covid. I previously drove 20K mi/year and these days it's half that at most.

I've always had terrible luck with Contis. I'd never buy another set. Bubble in a sidewall with 500 miles on a new car (didn't curb it). Dealer nicely replaced it even though not under warranty. Several leaks that could never be found. Had tires taken off no punctures found, had them put back on the rim, continued to leak. Replaced rim as they thought there might be a small crack. Tire continued to leak. Several sidewall bubbles, again not curbing the wheel/tire. I know people who like Contis, maybe I just get all of their lemons, but I'd never buy another set regardless of ratings or price. I'd only buy Michelin, Pirelli, Bridgestone, or maybe the occasional Goodyear.

Living in the Northeast I always ran all-seasons on my past Subies. My Hybrid Rav 4 came with Michelin all seasons. I'll probably change them out before winter with a better rated set of all season tires, from Michelin or Pirelli (most all seasons that come with a new car even from good brands, aren't the best ones for snow). On the MB C43 sedan I have dedicated snows for winter. Even though the car has AWD, it has more power going to the rear wheels than prior AWD MBs (plus it was a more expensive car than the Subies or Rav).

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always had terrible luck with Contis. I'd never buy another set. Bubble in a sidewall with 500 miles on a new car (didn't curb it). Dealer nicely replaced it even though not under warranty. Several leaks that could never be found. Had tires taken off no punctures found, had them put back on the rim, continued to leak. Replaced rim as they thought there might be a small crack. Tire continued to leak. Several sidewall bubbles, again not curbing the wheel/tire. I know people who like Contis, maybe I just get all of their lemons, but I'd never buy another set regardless of ratings or price. I'd only buy Michelin, Pirelli, Bridgestone, or maybe the occasional Goodyear.

Living in the Northeast I always ran all-seasons on my past Subies. My Hybrid Rav 4 came with Michelin all seasons. I'll probably change them out before winter with a set of better rated set of all season tires, from Michelin or Pirelli (most all seasons that come on the car even from good brands, aren't the best ones for snow). On the MB C43 sedan I have dedicated snows for winter. Even though the car has AWD, it has a more power going to the rear wheels than prior AWD MBs (plus it was a more expensive car than the Subies or Rav).
Thanks for the feedback. Since these are virtually new, I'll run them until they wear out. If I find they aren't suitable in the winter, I'll get snows. I've always run AS's in my daily drivers so I'm not terribly worried. I'm amazed at how well these conti's are reviewed, especially in the snow. I'm hopeful they are suitable.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It will be a van for everyone to ride in, plus gear (basically, seating for all of us, with storage and bike racks on the inside (I’ve sent messages to a few different conversion van shops around here to see what it might cost). We’re planning to get a camp trailer as well for other trips. The Sprinter passenger van would be perfect if it had better towing capacity.
#vanlife

Would love updates on this project. This was my dream that i explored seriously for a few minutes (a luxurious-by-my-standards Sprinter conversion was like $110k when i priced it out), until reality (and wife) kicked in and reminded me that I’m way too soft for that ****

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
#vanlife

Would love updates on this project. This was my dream that i explored seriously for a few minutes (a luxurious-by-my-standards Sprinter conversion was like $110k when i priced it out), until reality (and wife) kicked in and reminded me that I’m way too soft for that ****
was that with or without the $30k ADM

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No ADM back in 2019, thankfully. There’s a couple of outfits down here that build out a Sprinter pretty nicely, although they more want to sell you a rolling office concept than a camping/overlanding rig

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have looked into buying a Sprinter and using it to carry our motorcycles around (instead of having a trailer). With the current prices that's just not going to happen.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have looked into buying a Sprinter and using it to carry our motorcycles around (instead of having a trailer). With the current prices that's just not going to happen.

If you don’t need more than five seats, have you checked out the Ram Promaster? I imagine that the crew van would hold a couple of motorcycles.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
#vanlife

I could see you with a YT channel on #vanlife in south Florida.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don’t need more than five seats, have you checked out the Ram Promaster? I imagine that the crew van would hold a couple of motorcycles.
So far most of my "checking out" has been online, but yes. I have also looked into the Ford Transit(?), which also looks pretty good. I think any of them can be configured to hold the bikes and still have a bit of room for us to throw down some sleeping bags.

EDIT: unfortunately, it doesn't look like the Promaster comes in 4WD or even AWD.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah it’s too hot down here and I wouldn’t end up using it IN Florida. Too infrequent a use case to actually invest in. There are some rental companies around here as well.

Re: options, I think the basic idea here is to buy the vans that Amazon uses. Which I think are all Sprinters and Promasters. If 4wd is needed, then it’s Sprinter

I didn't realize he was a meth addict. cook

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
992 GT3 RS official announcement/release.

How long before it's deemed less than peak?

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amazingly that wing (and the front spoiler) are fully active just like a DRS system. That has to be peak, no?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Smalltimers…

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads