• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure did!

Sure was and sure is!!

Here is the closest to what I bought, I have the old model of course :/

I think this is why I want the 4 post. I like the idea of storage as well and functional things. The quick jack givea me everything I need for tires/brakes and such. But I hate being on my back. Hate it so much

You can still park under a raised 2 post lift, just make sure the safety lock is engaged.

The floor space a four poster takes up just ain't worth it unless you need them for specific types of work.

Once you get used to spotting the car and positioning the arms under the lift points it's almost as quick, but the underside of the vehicle is just so much more accessible!!

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can still park under a raised 2 post lift, just make sure the safety lock is engaged.

The floor space a four poster takes up just ain't worth it unless you need them for specific types of work.

Once you get used to spotting the car and positioning the arms under the lift points it's almost as quick, but the underside of the vehicle is just so much more accessible!!
Maybe I don't trust them because I have never used them. I am sure they are safe, or they wouldn't be sold lol I just struggle a bit conceptually with them!

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How can you afford that making less than $62.50 an hour when you’re not an elevator helper?
Well, to be honest, My wife and kid weren't thrilled with the bread and water rations for the month, but they did understand the value to the family overall.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I don't trust them because I have never used them. I am sure they are safe, or they wouldn't be sold lol I just struggle a bit conceptually with them!

I can totally understand that, but after 30 odd years of using them I would definately advise it's the best route to go for a good general purpose lift.

Like everything the more you pay the better they are, we used Rotary Lifts and they were excellent, reliable sturdy and good parts and service back up

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There’s a school of thought about how long term storage on a two-poster could cause chassis droop, but I never bothered to get a definitive answer on this. The four poster fit my garage so I just didn’t think about it too much
But I hate being on my back. Hate it so much
that’s not what I heard !

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sure did!

Sure was and sure is!!

Here is the closest to what I bought, I have the old model of course :/

I think this is why I want the 4 post. I like the idea of storage as well and functional things. The quick jack givea me everything I need for tires/brakes and such. But I hate being on my back. Hate it so much
That's not a floor jack, you knucklehead. That's a lift. We use one for our race car, but there's also a pit beneath it, so with few exceptions, we can stand underneath it.

I wouldn't worry about the safety of a two-post lift at all if properly installed. At both the independent and dealership where I worked we would put cars on the lift and park more beneath them overnight. And we're in earthquake territory. If I could only have one lift, it would definitely be a two-post. Even for alignments, you can buy stands to put the plates on.
Were you a Technician??
For five years, which was probably three years too long. It was sort of an early mid-life crisis.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For five years, which was probably three years too long. It was sort of an early mid-life crisis.

$62.50/hour wasn’t good enough for you?

I played bike mechanic today. Hopefully my rear brakes are set now…

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My FIL had a new garage built a few years back for his collection of old Model A and Model Ts (as well as a couple other random cars) and had a 2-post lift put in so he could work on more stuff without bending down to do so. The lift was an afterthought though so it doesn't raise up high enough to be able to park another car below it. Looking back, he says his biggest regret with the garage was not making it a few feet taller so he could raise the vehicles up a bit higher.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The dealer I worked at for a little bit had something like 50 2-post lift bays and a handful of 4-posters for quick-lube bays
1656347903284.png

Was a sight to behold

And yeah....cars left up on the lift all the time, other cars stashed underneath, etc.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The dealer I worked at for a little bit had something like 50 2-post lift bays and a handful of 4-posters for quick-lube bays
View attachment 1807080
Was a sight to behold

And yeah....cars left up on the lift all the time, other cars stashed underneath, etc.
That is a massive dealership. Holy ****

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I may have slightly overestimated. Actual total might "only" be 42 bays.

At the time it was the largest VW service center in the country (probably still is?). 3 story parking garage across the street basically dedicated to housing vehicles being serviced.

And yeah...they were pretty much always full. I think each non-lube tech had their own lift (not sure if that's standard) so they wouldn't be in use on days off, but none of those lifts just sat idle for any period of time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads