• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This one is in fact pretty jaw dropping:
1652975290098.png

I'm always dumbfounded that there are so many people who refuse to wear seatbelts.

brokencycle

Reaction score

We have had posters here decry very modest design changes to things like bumper heights that will save lives because it reduces the peakness of the automobile.

This one is in fact pretty jaw dropping:
View attachment 1793673

I'm always dumbfounded that there are so many people who refuse to wear seatbelts.

I was going to post the same thing.

NHTSA says over 90 percent of Americans use a seatbelt when they’re in a car. The remaining 10 percent make up nearly half of those who die in crashes.

Reactions: otc

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been in some cars with larger individuals and they don't wear seatbelts because it is uncomfortable. This can't be all of it as I'd assume some of the fatalities are drug/alcohol related and not wearing a seatbelt.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The comments on that article are a dumpster fire, but the top comment makes a fair point that this article ignored...there are other countries with FAR lower rates that don't have these technologies. There's a couple more things that could significantly improve traffic safety that there is *zero* will to do in the USA:

Stricter licensing/comprehensive training requirements.
Vehicle safety inspections.

The latter would probably impact jacked up pickup trucks with too-high bumper heights, so you know it will never happen since the pickup truck has more political power than any inanimate object besides guns.

brokencycle

Reaction score
The comments on that article are a dumpster fire, but the top comment makes a fair point that this article ignored...there are other countries with FAR lower rates that don't have these technologies. There's a couple more things that could significantly improve traffic safety that there is *zero* will to do in the USA:

Stricter licensing/comprehensive training requirements.
Vehicle safety inspections.

The latter would probably impact jacked up pickup trucks with too-high bumper heights, so you know it will never happen since the pickup truck has more political power than any inanimate object besides guns.

Safety inspections, in my experience, are a joke and just a grift as implemented here: service shops get a bunch of inspection revenue and pass people anyway. I have never seen more people driving without functioning brake lights than where I live now which requires annual inspections. I also know people with illegal tint who will happily tell you the guy they go to who will pass your tint inspection for an extra $20.

We should use things like narrowing lanes for slower speed roads. Did I post that article a few months back about all the ways that European engineers design roads to force safer driving behavior?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Safety inspections, in my experience, are a joke and just a grift as implemented here: service shops get a bunch of inspection revenue and pass people anyway. I have never seen more people driving without functioning brake lights than where I live now which requires annual inspections. I also know people with illegal tint who will happily tell you the guy they go to who will pass your tint inspection for an extra $20.

We should use things like narrowing lanes for slower speed roads. Did I post that article a few months back about all the ways that European engineers design roads to force safer driving behavior?
There are some roads inside Houston city limits that are really narrow. Ppl with big ass trucks and SUVs are usually driving over the line. I come by in my Mini and purposely drive as close as I can too them to force them over before passing them.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

FWIW, the fact that we have ineffectual inspections (because there's no political will to strongly enforce) is not exactly a argument against using them. Almost seems like an intentional strategy to undermine them (do ****** inspections then point to places with no inspections with similar stats as evidence that the inspections don't work).

Also for the most part, illegal tint isn't much of a safety issue. If anything it is pitched as a safety issue for cops when they pull people over....you have to be well past "legal" tint before you create a safety hazard. Not to mention the stupidity of tint laws that allow SUVs and Vans to have unlimited tint on rear windows/windshield but then claim it is somehow dangerous for a sedan to go below 35%.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the seatbelt thing is Darwinism, so watevs. Let’s do the breathalyzer interlock because that’s for my safety
We have had posters here decry very modest design changes to things like bumper heights that will save lives because it reduces the peakness of the automobile..
It me

i get it but it spelled the end of those gorgeous pre 2000’s designs

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since a lot of lifted trucks end up being Super Duties, don't they have different laws they follow? There is that emissions piece but I'd assume bumpers as well. Make them all put the bumper extender on like the G-Wagen 4x4

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Any vehicle exempt from passenger vehicle safety and emissions laws should require much stricter—and expensive—licensure to drive. We also need the equivalent of TUV to get rid of the ridiculous lift kits, giant tires, and ****** exhaust components.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peak Lada.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice ride. Underrated, technically adept with fine fit & finish. Loving the drive. 2021 BMW X2 28i. BMW Victoria. Exceptional service.

B84583DE-2ADD-49F2-97B3-E92C3DB13E3A.jpeg
5D42B3F5-86DA-42AA-9309-FCCE409644C3.jpeg
1852CAB1-64D5-4BFC-9D1C-53CA9B8A04A1.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads