• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just filled out an entertaining survey from Porsche NA to get my take on what the future of the 911 should be.

half the survey consisted of getting me to tell them when i was willing to let the 911 go electric (NEVAR!). Including giving me all these scenarios about getting taxed higher, not being able to drive ICE in city centers, gasoline no longer being available, ICE cars being banned outright….

through it all I never agreed to buy an electric 911. In the comments I said in all those scenarios I’ll keep the 911’s I already have, which will easily outlive me. I will let you guys sell me a Taycan, though.

How long do you think we have realistically until this happens? I don't believe the manufacturing, maintenance, and infrastructure of electric cars is as clean as everyone is making it out to be.

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How long do you think we have realistically until this happens? I don't the manufacturing, maintenance, and infrastructure of electric cars is as clean as everyone is making it out to be.
Honestly, i don’t have any clever insight and my guess is as good as yours. Porsche, however, is very well-informed and is putting considerable resources towards getting this transition right. As well they should, given that this is an existential problem for them.

I really got the sense that they were asking for my ‘permission’ (sorry that sounds arrogant but it really did feel that way) to electrify the 911 without driving me to jump ship. I think if enough of their core customer/survey respondent base said they were ok with it, we would see hybridization/electrification as early as next generation.

As for infrastructure and legislation, Porsche is a European company and by and large Europe has already set the timeline for the death of ICE. To your point, just legislating something doesn’t just mean that all the infrastructure appears at your convenience, though.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I had a slow puncture today. Just after leaving home, I got a 'low tyre' pressure warning from my Giulia QV (front driver side) - it was 29 when I normally run 36. The car felt okay, and I drove carefully for a while and it crept up to 30. At least it wasn't getting worse. So I took it to tyre shop and they found a nail, they repaired it and the pressure seemed to be fine. However there was a 'Slow' message on the dashboard. I thought that this was perhaps a 'limp home' mode/ warning sign activated by the low pressure. I restarted the car to try and 'reset' it but it was still there. I was worrying if there was still a problem with my tyres, or if I needed to properly reset. Then the message changed to 'Diamond Stuff', and I realised that it was the 'media centre' showing the song name (I was listening to the Cavalcade album by Black Midi). LOL.

Last edited:

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mmm 35 profile tires in winter

also **** potholes

20CE2E1D-912A-44A9-B8B6-664873C10115.jpeg

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update: Just tire damage, phew. $1300 for a set of new winter tires yaaaaaay

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Update: Just tire damage, phew. $1300 for a set of new winter tires yaaaaaay
Ouch. I'm about to get a new set of tyres for my QV. Deciding between Pirelli P Zero, Michelin Pilot Super Sports and Bridgestone Potenza Sports. Probably going to be between the first 2. Want to try the Michelins even though they're 15% more expensive, but I've had PZeros for the past 10 or so years on my Maseratis so am sort of just feeling the inertia.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ouch. I'm about to get a new set of tyres for my QV. Deciding between Pirelli P Zero, Michelin Pilot Super Sports and Bridgestone Potenza Sports. Probably going to be between the first 2. Want to try the Michelins even though they're 15% more expensive, but I've had PZeros for the past 10 or so years on my Maseratis so am sort of just feeling the inertia.

Michelin I find are quiet all around. My moms Audi has Pirelli and they’re quite grippy too. Haven’t heard bad things about PSS.

for me I got Continental IceContact XTRM for my winter tires and thinking about 4S for summers

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all - haven't dipped into this thread before. I'm currently car shopping - though I wish I wasn't.
Historically I have been allergic to buying new simply because it felt wasteful, but considering how expensive used cars are these days, new is making more sense.
I'm thinking of going after a 540i - and I'm weirdly tempted by the Jag XF (though I'm not super in love w/ turbo 4's and wish they hadn't ditched the sportier 6 cyl model).

Anyone have any insight on recent years 540's? Or anything else I should look at? (back seat space for kids seats etc is a necessity).

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all - haven't dipped into this thread before. I'm currently car shopping - though I wish I wasn't.
Historically I have been allergic to buying new simply because it felt wasteful, but considering how expensive used cars are these days, new is making more sense.
I'm thinking of going after a 540i - and I'm weirdly tempted by the Jag XF (though I'm not super in love w/ turbo 4's and wish they hadn't ditched the sportier 6 cyl model).

Anyone have any insight on recent years 540's? Or anything else I should look at? (back seat space for kids seats etc is a necessity).

i wouldn’t bother with Jags; infotainment system sucks in those

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Genesis G80? I don't love the looks but it's been a hit with reviewers and buyers and you get a lot for your money. There's a twin-turbo V6 model.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Genesis G80? I don't love the looks but it's been a hit with reviewers and buyers and you get a lot for your money. There's a twin-turbo V6 model.

Yaaaaaa, I was thinking about it. I really am not sure I love the look at all. I hate the grill.
The base MSRP on the V6 model is higher than a 540i.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The base MSRP on the V6 model is higher than a 540i.
Yeah but once you option the Beemer up comparably it'll be well ahead I'd guess?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads