• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This needs to stop.

it hasn’t escaped my notice that in the trend of stupid grills, tesla is actually the voice of reason

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
E58E357B-3476-4AE5-A27B-37C7661F136F.jpeg

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So the Chinese market ******* loves grills, hub?

that's the "excuse" but I don't think that's true, you can talk to M owner in Asia, they might be more ok than North America buyer with the new M3/M4 grill (though based on bimmerforum, looks like new grill hasn't stop sale either, but probably too early to tell). but pretty sure they would have been happier (as in instant reception) if the grilled looked more like M340.

7 series big grill might be more legit in the sense that X7/7 series needed more "presence", but don't think that was the complain anyone I knew on 3/4 series.

p.s. starting seeing a lot more 4 series, that big grill coming to you is definitely very noticeable, a lot more so than Audi or Lexus for whatever reason?

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welp, looks like we need a new car, at about the worst moment to buy one. Is MSRP the best we can hope for?

my wife's older RX350 was running like a champ but what seemed like a minor bumper repair has escalated into a total loss. I am going to go down to the bodyshop on Monday to take a look at it, might just keep it awhile as it was running fine. Bodyshop is being kind of a dick, refuses to reassemble the bumper.

Anyhow not much inventory to look at, kind of all over the map but likely a midsized SUV or Outback in her future. Weeeeeeee

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Prolly best to find something in dealer inventory and see if they’ll come down from MSRP, and be willing to walk to the next dealer if you don’t like what they say. Once it’s on the lot, it’s holding up working capital just like always, so unless you’re fighting over a Telluride or paint to sample GT2RS so still have some bargaining power.

Stay away from the ordering and supply chain shenanigans at this point

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
actually given how empty lots are now I'm not sure this still holds, ordering might be better

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
someone backed into you?

Nope, she managed to clip a concrete pillar at low speed pulling into a parking lot, front passenger side. Didn't look bad, original estimate was $1k. In fact kept driving it while putting off repair. Now bodyshop says the passenger rail is bent, safety issue, and will need to pull the motor and transmission to fix it etc. ?

Prolly best to find something in dealer inventory and see if they’ll come down from MSRP, and be willing to walk to the next dealer if you don’t like what they say. Once it’s on the lot, it’s holding up working capital just like always, so unless you’re fighting over a Telluride or paint to sample GT2RS so still have some bargaining power.

Stay away from the ordering and supply chain shenanigans at this point
So there's hope great! Will know more once she narrows it down but Telluride is already a hard no, so we are good there.

brokencycle

Reaction score
A dealer near here is advertising you pay something like 1% over invoice on any ordered car.

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope, she managed to clip a concrete pillar at low speed pulling into a parking lot, front passenger side. Didn't look bad, original estimate was $1k. In fact kept driving it while putting off repair. Now bodyshop says the passenger rail is bent, safety issue, and will need to pull the motor and transmission to fix it etc. ?
Did you put it through insurance? It’s not uncommon to for what appears to be cosmetic to actually cause frame damage. Bumpers can look ok, but the damage underneath can be bad or a safety issue.

If an adjuster came out, saw the car and agreed there’s a passenger rail problem, then you should move on. I won’t drive a car after there’s frame damage.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh wow, did they show you a picture?
Nope. They did invite me down to look at it, I am going to do that tomorrow.

A dealer near here is advertising you pay something like 1% over invoice on any ordered car.
Nice, mostly seeing right at MSRP or eveb above around here during online search.
Did you put it through insurance? It’s not uncommon to for what appears to be cosmetic to actually cause frame damage. Bumpers can look ok, but the damage underneath can be bad or a safety issue.

If an adjuster came out, saw the car and agreed there’s a passenger rail problem, then you should move on. I won’t drive a car after there’s frame damage.
I did put it through insurance. Adjuster did not come out, he relied on the shop description. The write up is super vague, does not even mention the rail, however shop mentioned it when I called to ask about if we could do some of the more cosmetic repairs (like original estimate) out of pocket if safe to drive.

My plan was to keep the car while we look for a new one over the next couple weeks/months. Then trade it in or sell it.

The adjuster did not know any more than the write up description. Sounded like hey it's big repair so total loss, next.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welp, in case anyone is interested here is the small crumble that killed the venerable RX350. Drives great, still kind of surprised to hear that safety is compromised so greatly but better safe than sorry. Waiting on a revised value from the insurance, I doubt it will go high enough for them to fix instead of total it out.

Meanwhile the car search is slooooooow, gotta get out and have her drive some vehicles to narrow this thing down.

Oh and XC90 was deemed too large, definite maybe on the XC60!

Disassembled, bad side.

20211018_174531.jpg

Bad side rail end
20211018_172400.jpg

20211018_172304.jpg

Good side
20211018_172337.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads