• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Sucks, UnF.

Hey, I know where you can get a nice used, low mileage XC90 that you can probably get for just 3k over original MSRP.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a local Jeep dealer trying to sell the new V8 Wranglers for $100K.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The funny thing is they have been super persistent telling me that they tell everyone about their markup but I have dozens of texts / emails etc. and not a single one said anything about it. I have no doubt they are getting markups because they immediately went from excited to close the deal (the sales manager was going to drive to my house to have me sign docs because I said I couldn't drive down yesterday) to offering me my deposit back as soon as I said I wouldn't pay a markup under any circumstances.

I'm not sure it's worth going scorched earth since it won't get me the car. I am interested in something that would get me the car without markup so I will keep talking to them without being too much of a jerk.

There's a local Jeep dealer trying to sell the new V8 Wranglers for $100K.

According to leasehackr, you can do pretty well on Jeeps right now. The problem is that I need something that's MORE comfortable for my Tahoe drives and I'm not sure the Jeep is that thing.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The funny thing is they have been super persistent telling me that they tell everyone about their markup but I have dozens of texts / emails etc. and not a single one said anything about it. I have no doubt they are getting markups because they immediately went from excited to close the deal (the sales manager was going to drive to my house to have me sign docs because I said I couldn't drive down yesterday) to offering me my deposit back as soon as I said I wouldn't pay a markup under any circumstances.

I'm not sure it's worth going scorched earth since it won't get me the car. I am interested in something that would get me the car without markup so I will keep talking to them without being too much of a jerk.

If talking to the manager at the dealership doesn't help, contact Kia. I've done that in the past and it has resolved a few issues I had with dealerships/retailers. Wishing you lots of luck!

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I want to spend $100k on a ************* I’ll get a Maserati Levante or Jaguar F-Pace SVR

You forgot to add the Alfa Stevio.

Some new details into my Key Fob issue on the MB. My FIL gave me some batteries for the key which we kept in the house. These were the batteries I used when changing out the key fob. Mentioned this to my FIL and he told me, "I found out those batteries were counterfeit and only lasted a couple weeks. Sorry!" He them proceeded to give me the rest of the counterfeit batteries so I can change out the fob once a week for the next couple of months...

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You forgot to add the Alfa Stevio.

Some new details into my Key Fob issue on the MB. My FIL gave me some batteries for the key which we kept in the house. These were the batteries I used when changing out the key fob. Mentioned this to my FIL and he told me, "I found out those batteries were counterfeit and only lasted a couple weeks. Sorry!" He them proceeded to give me the rest of the counterfeit batteries so I can change out the fob once a week for the next couple of months...
"So these didn't solve my problem and they won't solve yours. Here you go."

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s too bad because the Stelvio Quadrifoglio, F-Pace SVR, and Levante Trofeo (now with the Ferrari 154 3.8L V8) sound amazing and are pretty good looking cars. However, that’s where the good ends.

Agree completely. A friend asked me to go with her husband to help him look at SUVs, and assist with negotiating price. We test drove several SUVs. The Levante sounded good, but quality and everything else about it was just sad. The best part of the test drive was when the Maserati salesman said, "When you buy a Levante, you get Maserati reliability!" I almost died laughing when he said that.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If talking to the manager at the dealership doesn't help, contact Kia. I've done that in the past and it has resolved a few issues I had with dealerships/retailers. Wishing you lots of luck!
Yeah just not sure how that helps. Markups are prevalent and dealers make no bones about it at this point. I'm not sure Kia will care that I claim that they never communicated the markup to me.

BlairW

Reaction score
Agree completely. A friend asked me to go with her husband to help him look at SUVs, and assist with negotiating price. We test drove several SUVs. The Levante sounded good, but quality and everything else about it was just sad. The best part of the test drive was when the Maserati salesman said, "When you buy a Levante, you get Maserati reliability!" I almost died laughing when he said that.
I do believe “reliable Maserati” is what you would call an oxymoron

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Regulatory capture at the state level by dealerships makes reform nearly impossible. Manufacturers should be able to sell direct if they want to.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah just not sure how that helps. Markups are prevalent and dealers make no bones about it at this point. I'm not sure Kia will care that I claim that they never communicated the markup to me.

I've never dealt with Kia before, so I have no idea if they would step in and make things right, or if they would just say too bad, so sad, ha ha! I can tell you with 2 other brands (one wasn't a car, and one was), each made the situation right with me. One was a difficult to get item, and they made an example available to me at the retailer of my choice at MSRP. Whether its worth your time to write and email and see if anything happens, is something only you can decide.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The fact that it is Kia is the only thing that actually gives me a little hope? And the fact that they clearly fucked you by not disclosing the markup when taking a deposit.

Like, now long does Kia think they will be able to get away with these markups? And are they able to get away with them on any other cars? I can't imagine people are lining up to pay over asking on a Soul or a Forte.

They might be sensitive to getting bad PR from an angry customer if it might scare away non-Telluride sales where people might get the impression that this particular dealer is particularly shady and that they should shop elsewhere.

Or not. Equally likely they don't give a ****. Car salesmen tend to not take a very long-run view...Making $6k today beats losing an unknown amount in the future. GMs are often former salesmen and probably only take a marginally longer run view...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads