• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMG_20210926_103203.jpg

Was a nice place to change a tire at least.

My wife actually thought I was pulling over to take pictures of the cars together... She knows me.

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was talking to a friend who went into Porsche to see what they could do if we turned in his 911 lease a few months early. They offered him $25k cash to take the car back early because the used car market is so absurd over the residual left on the lease. The used car price is the same as the MSRP was 3 years ago.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was talking to a friend who went into Porsche to see what they could do if we turned in his 911 lease a few months early. They offered him $25k cash to take the car back early because the used car market is so absurd over the residual left on the lease. The used car price is the same as the MSRP was 3 years ago.

Yes, a neighbor just traded in his 2017 991S (for a 992S), which he bought CPO'd in 2019. They gave him a little more than he paid for it as a traded in value, and their asking price is currently about $27K more than they offered him. Pre-owned prices are crazy these days.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welp, looks like I got burned by the 2021 car market. My Telly arrived today and the dealer informed me they were adding a "market adjustment" of $6k. I told them no and they immediately pivoted to returning my deposit. Given the market conditions, they don't appear concerned about the fact that they never mentioned a markup and said they definitely tell everyone about the markup. I was like "well putting it on the build sheet when you take a deposit is the right way to charge a markup on a special order" but they DGAF.

I'm just not going to pay a markup so the only question is whether it's worth getting worked up about or not.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Imagine working at a Kia dealership your whole career and finally ending up with some pricing power? They are giving each other handys over there right now.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Welp, looks like I got burned by the 2021 car market. My Telly arrived today and the dealer informed me they were adding a "market adjustment" of $6k. I told them no and they immediately pivoted to returning my deposit. Given the market conditions, they don't appear concerned about the fact that they never mentioned a markup and said they definitely tell everyone about the markup. I was like "well putting it on the build sheet when you take a deposit is the right way to charge a markup on a special order" but they DGAF.

I'm just not going to pay a markup so the only question is whether it's worth getting worked up about or not.

Did you tell them you were an attorney and that you golf with the AG?

BlairW

Reaction score
Yes, a neighbor just traded in his 2017 991S (for a 992S), which he bought CPO'd in 2019. They gave him a little more than he paid for it as a traded in value, and their asking price is currently about $27K more than they offered him. Pre-owned prices are crazy these days.
We have this situation happening daily where I am. Dealers have been plating cars then asking 15-25% more than MRP. And getting it..

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

At least get a little worked up enough to go scorched earth on whatever review sites and buyer surveys you can find.

Changing the price of a car after taking a deposit on the order is beyond ******. Make it clear to any future customers who see your review: don't trust a word these guys say, they will take your deposit and then raise the price on you.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
At least get a little worked up enough to go scorched earth on whatever review sites and buyer surveys you can find.

Changing the price of a car after taking a deposit on the order is beyond ******. Make it clear to any future customers who see your review: don't trust a word these guys say, they will take your deposit and then raise the price on you.
Today on Water Is Wet...

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:lurk:

I remember leasing my Highlander back in May (around Memorial day) and the sales girl saying "If you lock in now before the car arrives you'll get the $750 cash discount" that they were offering but the deal ends May 31. We had no idea when the car would arrive (It only took a little over a week) Well, just so happens that deal was basically all summer. However, I saw a commercial the other day and they lowered it to $500. Maybe Toyota is finally running out of cars as well.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's complete BS !!! Adding a $6K "Market adjustment" at the last minute is insane. Many years ago when my dad was ordering a Ferrari 348 (his would have been one of the first in the country) he was told on the paperwork there would be a 10K mark up over list price. Then months later the dealer, and maybe the company wanted dealers to get $15K over, then $20K or $25K over. The sales manager called my dad with each increased amount. When it reached $50K over MSRP, thankfully my told them to FO and return his deposit. The car ended up being a dud, getting lousy reviews, and depreciated to an insanely low amount, so thankfully he didn't buy that one. Also, my dad knew a guy who's paperwork either said $25 or 35K over MSPR. When the dealer tried to write in market value, over the original signed MSRP+$35K he sued the dealer and won.

Anyway, I'd contact Kia's customer service department and see what they think of this. Then if that isn't helpful, get your deposit back and consider writing a review of your experience.

Last edited:

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ford dealers are charging over MSRP on ordered Broncos right now. People custom ordered their build early this year and now are being told the have to pay $10-15k above the price they were quoted. They probably can do so because a deposit isn’t usually a contract, it’s an agreement to make an contract at a later date.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No surprise and this behavior has been around for decades as Dino just mentioned. It’s why I have trouble feeling sorry for dealers that go under during downturns (like just last year!).

they count on the fact that your cost of punitive action, or opportunity cost of finding a new deal, depending on how you look at it, isn’t worth the $6k. And they’re right. And they have thick skins because you can’t survive in the auto industry if you don’t.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads