• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Should have gotten credit card points at least
Oh, I did, I found out the max they would let my put on a card and subtracted that from the check.

Also it took so long for them to deliver the car from CA that their automated pricing system (it is one of those no-haggle one price places) automatically dropped the price $300 the day before because it thought the car was sitting unsold.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dammit. On the way home from buying my wife's car, I get my first ever flat in my car...

Middle of nowhere, no cell service, 110 miles from home. Probably not finally and any tire shop is closed anyways.

Luckily my spare is rated for 125 miles at 50mph...

Couple of hours of rural scenic highway at 50 is actually quite relaxing though. Everything is real quite and smooth and you can pay a lot more attention to the scenery.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bullshit. You bombed into every corner and I would’ve been disappointed in you if you didn’t :laugh:

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dammit. On the way home from buying my wife's car, I get my first ever flat in my car...

Middle of nowhere, no cell service, 110 miles from home. Probably not finally and any tire shop is closed anyways.

Luckily my spare is rated for 125 miles at 50mph...

Couple of hours of rural scenic highway at 50 is actually quite relaxing though. Everything is real quite and smooth and you can pay a lot more attention to the scenery.
What’s the car? If it’s a VW, their low profile tires are awful. Guy I worked with has to replace 5 or 6 tires in 2 years due to sidewall blowouts from ****** roads.

The spares are probably safe for over 125 miles, particularly when you don’t have a choice. Make sure you get a new spare though when you replace the tire.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What’s the car? If it’s a VW, their low profile tires are awful. Guy I worked with has to replace 5 or 6 tires in 2 years due to sidewall blowouts from ****** roads.

The spares are probably safe for over 125 miles, particularly when you don’t have a choice. Make sure you get a new spare though when you replace the tire.
Yeah, the spare is already pretty close to the wear bars, but could easily go a fair amount more on dry roads.

This was a puncture or something, not a sidewall, but I also have the 18" rather than the 19 the R gets so not quite as low profile. I wanted to replace the tires anyway... They aren't the greatest.

I might go for a full size spare (or close to full size). The gti donut is full diameter but narrow width... But you can fit a wider steel rim in the spare tire compartment without too much compromise. Given the distances out here, might not be a bad idea.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Where would you put the FS spare, though? Lash it onto the trunk floor? I’ve been trying to figure this out myself

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where would you put the FS spare, though? Lash it onto the trunk floor? I’ve been trying to figure this out myself

VWs usually have a double deck hatch, and you can remove the lower shelf to accommodate a full size spare, and lose some luggage space.

Personally I would just stick with a space saver, I've seen customers run them for months with no problem

If that's his first flat tyre in years, it's not really a problem!!!!!

We don't even have spare tyres In Europe anymore, they phased them out with TPMS and just carry an inflator/sealant

A rubber dead blow hammer is useful though, because the alloy wheels are a bastard for corroding onto the spigot!!!!!

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, with the trunk floor in the upper position, full size spare fits without issue and you barely lose any cargo space (many GTI owners keep it in that slot at all times).

And yes it was first flat in years... But also first flat in 2 months and maybe 1000 miles of living in Montana...

I doubt it is repairable but I will see. unfortunately I don't think there's much local inventory for my car so... Guess it is a good thing we just got another one.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, with the trunk floor in the upper position, full size spare fits without issue and you barely lose any cargo space (many GTI owners keep it in that slot at all times).

And yes it was first flat in years... But also first flat in 2 months and maybe 1000 miles of living in Montana...

I doubt it is repairable but I will see. unfortunately I don't think there's much local inventory for my car so... Guess it is a good thing we just got another one.

Is it worth running all weather tyres in Montana??

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have winter tires, but I think I will still go for the pilot sport all season 4.

I currently have the stock all season potenzas... They are... Fine.

If I were still in Chicago, I would go full summer tires, but...all season better here.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have winter tires, but I think I will still go for the pilot sport all season 4.

If I were still in Chicago, I would go full summer tires, but...all season better here.

I run all season Michelins on my Work Van

Regular Bridgestone Potenzas on my hot hatch (I barely use it)

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That’s a luxury these days that I would definitely take advantage of. Even crossovers these days (at least ours) only come with a very sus looking donut and no compartment for a full size option

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It’s not like they need a recommendation but the summer PS4S even on crappy New England roads are so good, especially in rain. My GTI runs coilovers and 18’s as well and they are far from uncomfortable.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I would go the ps4s route, but the weather here just doesn't seem compatible and I don't really *need* that extra performance.

Long shoulder seasons where nights are cold and there can still be snow in passes and stuff... But you can have daytime high temps that will eat through winter tires so you can't just keep them on longer.

On the flip side, I need to buy winter wheels and tires for the new car...

Studs are legal here starting October 1st, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick with studless. Studless winter compounds have gotten so good and I get the feeling a lot of the people saying "oh, you need studs" are just grounded in tradition.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads