• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You mean kids don't buy the only car the family owns and then have their mothers steal it from them anymore? This generation is so soft!

It's very rare nowadays, in the UK it is almost impossible for a teenager to get insured independently, they almost always have to be part of a family policy as the cost is so ludicrously high!!!!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
It's very rare nowadays, in the UK it is almost impossible for a teenager to get insured independently, they almost always have to be part of a family policy as the cost is so ludicrously high!!!!

And that would be how my car was stolen from me by my mother. Put the car in her name, as what 16 year old could afford 4k in the 1980s, and she says if you take it without permission she'll phone the police and say you stole "her" car.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My mom told me once that sometimes she would talk to other moms about raising teenagers. She told them " I don't know, Nine stuck his head under the hood of a car when he was 12 and didn't come out until he was 19 and went into the service" They made me a helicopter mechanic and later a crew chief. After I got out I worked for a couple years as a civilian mechanic on military aircraft then life happened and I moved on.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My mom told me once that sometimes she would talk to other moms about raising teenagers. She told them " I don't know, Nine stuck his head under the hood of a car when he was 12 and didn't come out until he was 19 and went into the service" They made me a helicopter mechanic and later a crew chief. After I got out I worked for a couple years as a civilian mechanic on military aircraft then life happened and I moved on.

My cousin followed a similar path, ended up with an engineering degree via the RAF and now pilots commercial jets.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And that would be how my car was stolen from me by my mother. Put the car in her name, as what 16 year old could afford 4k in the 1980s, and she says if you take it without permission she'll phone the police and say you stole "her" car.

Yep, I can definately see that happening

I would have probably disabled the car by pulling the rotor arm ?

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My cousin followed a similar path, ended up with an engineering degree via the RAF and now pilots commercial jets.
Some of the guys I worked with were working on getting their FAA airframe and powerplant mechanic and multiengine commercial pilot license. Corporate jets were becoming a thing at this time (late 60's) and jobs with those certs were starting out in the low 6 figures.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Waiting for paperwork on some new Skittles
PXL_20210925_005049750.jpg

Edit: why does it take so god damn long to buy a car when when you are paying cash for a car they shipped in for you where everything is already negotiated.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a cashiers check in hand, but they would have given me 2.99% which is the lowest I have seen by far on a used car loan!

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a cashiers check in hand, but they would have given me 2.99% which is the lowest I have seen by far on a used car loan!
Rates were crazy last year. I was offered 72 months 1.99% on my CPO. Dealers make money on financing. Sometimes it’s a set fee, other times it’s a percentage. Usually based on state laws. It adds up quickly for dealers so they always try.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Need pics of the wall tattoo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads