• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We test drove the Q8… which I really liked. I am not really an SUV fan but my wife finds them to be necessary with kids… i dont agree but that discussion is for another time and place.

If it was up to me we would have the Q8 but she really preferred the XC90… and given the difference in the leases (the Q8 was slightly less than double)… I certainly wasnt going to argue.

FWIW, I think the Q8 is one of the nicer looking SUVs out there and somewhat less common than most in its class.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Went out to Friday night dinner and was reminded that Miami is still the center for everything tacky and ostentatious.

but to keep this car related, I saw something called a Maybach GLS. It’s basically Piob’s old douchemobile with the Maybach treatment and managed to look tackier than the RR Cullinans it was parked with.

Mannion

Reaction score
For those of you who have had significant car appreciation, is anyone cashing in and buying a newer version?
No. My car is pretty boring and is worth £5k, its gained over £1000 in value this year. If I were to buy something newer I would pay a premium of more than the £1000 and have to deal with the hassle of finding a car when they are in short supply. Its only done 107k miles and while I would like more modern features and an automatic gearbox, I'll keep it and maintain it until the market settles down a bit.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For those of you who have had significant car appreciation, is anyone cashing in and buying a newer version?
Now that I live in a state with no sales tax, this might be doable.

Back when I was seeing people post carvana/vroom offers for more than I paid, it would have been impossible to come out anywhere close to ahead because:
A) I paid less than MSRP and finding another would cost more.
B) I paid like 10% sales tax so I'm still losing a lot even if I can get the prices close.

plus my car is special and I wouldn't really want a non-special 2 year newer one.

but if you had something like a 2019 rav4 hybrid, it seems like it would be a no brainer. If you can get your name on a list at a dealer and get one for MSRP, you really could walk away with a newer car, with improved features, and a few bucks in your pocket.

Last edited:

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand where elegance and style took a back seat to ostentatious???

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it’s because tasteless people actually think they are being cool and stylish.

also it seems like attention (of any sort) is the currency for more people nowadays, so the more garish and attention-getting, the more they are winning their game

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it’s because tasteless people actually think they are being cool and stylish.

also it seems like attention (of any sort) is the currency for more people nowadays, so the more garish and attention-getting, the more they are winning their game

Sad but true ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads