• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
3 month sounds crazy, don't they usually last like a year?

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got 5 years on the one I have now. Wife has 3 on hers.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My AMG lasted about 4 years. If it's being burned out every 3 months, then there's something wrong with your fob.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My AMG lasted about 4 years. If it's being burned out every 3 months, then there's something wrong with your fob.

Yea that was my worry. May tuck this key away and switch to the reserve. MB likely charges an arm and a leg for a new one and we are just keeping the car for another year or two until my wife finds an EV she likes and we can find one in stock.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there's something wrong with the fob, you can try to get it replaced for free provided the car is still under warranty.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this a separate fob, or an integrated fob/key? Most of the integrated ones are supposed to charge while you drive (with the key plugged into the car). Even if the fob is just a standalone, it should last waaaay longer than three months.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought most new ones are stand alone? People don't even do fake ignition these days

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
or you have Porsche? Think last time they were the only one who still do the whole put in column (on the left side of course...)

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Separate fob with a key piece that you can still use to open the door/start the car if the battery is dead.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can pop off the cap and put it in the ignition. The car is 10yrs old so thinking the FOB may just be old at this point. Oh well.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bought brand new XC60 December 2019. Since then, it has had 3 recalls, and I've needed to take it into dealer twice more for "service needed" notifications. If this is the norm, I think this will be my first and last experience with Volvo.

So got a service notification for the Auto-Start/Stop function yesterday :fu:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you're really damping my enthusiasm for potentially joining the Volvo crowd down the road

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My VW key seems to get low much faster than any other fob I've used, but it is also the first full keyless start and proximity sensing (door unlocks if you reach for the handle with the key in your pocket) key I have long term experience with.

That said, I'm probably only on my 3rd battery in 2 years. I think it is getting low though as my remote range is feels short.

Only time it actually stopped working on me was a pain ********** though. I hadn't gotten any dash warnings or anything, but I had it an a pocket while snowshoeing and it must have gotten cold enough for the voltage to completely die off. So there I am in the cold with frozen fingers (I was dressed for active motion, not standing around trying to get into my car) trying to pry off the plastic cover over the emergency key hole without scratching/marring anything.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
or you have Porsche? Think last time they were the only one who still do the whole put in column (on the left side of course...)
Yeah, I have a Boxster S. All my other cars have (gasp!) actual physical keys with teeth and everything.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads