• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know, what a tease!

On accident with animal, luckily nothing so far with car, but when I was a 8th grader I hit a bird who decide to T-bone my head when I was riding bicycle, I got helmet and it was a small bird (think he just flew away afterwards)…

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I just noticed something very un-American about Porsche Cayman. Most of the cars are offered with 2.0 4CYL. WTF has happened to my country? It used to be that Euros were getting all these loud overboosted moped engnies as a punishement. US dealers would not even get these base engines shipped to them. Base models in us for BMW, Merc or Audi would start from 6cyl. engines. Now this stupid 4cyl. trend is also in US. Arghhhh.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
emission and fuel economy so here goes the reality...

I mean all the BMW 230/330/530 are all 4 cylinder..., though other than the sound, today's 4 cylinder are pretty decent... I didn't bother to test drive 530 (because yes I still want my inline 6!), but from guys on bimmerforum it's more than adequate for day to day.

edit: the US still gets the more powerful engine, I mean there is 520 in Europe, which isn't sold here...

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
I thought the Cayman was always a 4-banger?
As for the wider trend? Well, i think it also has a lot to do with efficiency. new engines are fine for daily driving. it might also lower insurance and running costs?
I don't know, maybe people just want the brand and nice seats.

Over here, people get luxury 4's because they want to look rich. but don't want to pay high engine displacement tax. so most new euros i see are fully loaded models with the base engine. Like BMW 320, C200,Audi A4.etc.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
are you sure it's not tax? In Taiwan 540 would cost 1.5 to 1.75X of US? So most people would full load but smaller engine.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well, Taiwan import plenty used car from Japan and US (especially German ones, since they're still left hand drive), there is a whole industry around it.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Never did understand people who buy LHD cars and drive on the left side.
-Toll booths, parking. . . . i have seen a LHD tollbooth once. even more confusing.
We are RHD normally. so i just don't get the need to buy a new car LHD.

is Taiwan LHD normally?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Taiwan is same as US, driver on the left, drive on right side, I don't think you can even have RHD car in Taiwan legally.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just noticed something very un-American about Porsche Cayman. Most of the cars are offered with 2.0 4CYL. WTF has happened to my country? It used to be that Euros were getting all these loud overboosted moped engnies as a punishement. US dealers would not even get these base engines shipped to them. Base models in us for BMW, Merc or Audi would start from 6cyl. engines. Now this stupid 4cyl. trend is also in US. Arghhhh.

Originally Porsche used small displacement flat 4 engines like their Volkswagen cousins, it was always about light weight and handling

The Cayman GT4 has a flat 6

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cayman GT4 has a flat 6
And the Cayman GTS. Porsche updated the 718 Cayman GTS to have the flat 6 4.0L since the first version of the 718 GTS had. 2.5L 4 cylinder turbocharged engine that didn’t sell for ****. Now the GTS is basically an allocation car or ADM only at this point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics