• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saabs were once highly dependable/stylish, forward thinking cars that shared engineering design with the aircraft division and were very successful in rallying

It was a great Brand!!!!

The rot set in when GM got involved and the bean counters started designing cars for them, once the engineers are replaced with "business people" your basically ruined as a car manufacturer!!!!!

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The guy in the beach house next to ours has a Ferrari Portofino. This is the first I’ve seen one and it is quite the looked compared to the California. The only weird thing is the sound when he goes speeding down the road. On the gear shifts right before the crackle from the exhaust, it almost sounds like he has a waste gate or whatever the hell those guys used to put on their Evos/STIs. Such a weird sound but I haven’t heard many Ferraris. I wonder if this is normal?

Twin Turbo engine, more in line with the current F1 Powertrain and more environmentally friendly

The previous California used a naturally aspirated V8

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Think he is aware its a turbo car, just modern turbo pop and crackle rather than fast and furious style wastegate sound

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok, so Toyota is trying to stop ISIS from exporting a $100k LC to Syria and converting it to a technical??

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think he is aware its a turbo car, just modern turbo pop and crackle rather than fast and furious style wastegate sound

I don't know if you guys are familiar with Harry Metcalfe? He owned EVO magazine and runs a farm (the thinking man's Jeremy Clarkson) . His reviews are good and his taste in cars is interesting and varied

He just tested a Portofino

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so Toyota is trying to stop ISIS from exporting a $100k LC to Syria and converting it to a technical??
Toyota is trying to stop its customers from flipping the newest LC like a Rolex and using a flimsy excuse to justify it. A quick look at resale values in Australia - even an 80 series rust bucket approaching its 30s can still fetch 15-20k+ - shows they have good reasons to be worried...

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it would probably be flipped even more than those Porsche’s. These things are close to unobtainable in some parts of the world, yet very much desired by certain group. Flipping and exports would go through the roof.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
After a wash and tire shine. The B4.
sunsetfactory2.jpg
sunsetfactory3.jpg
sunsetfactory4.jpg
I would like to make it lower. but when you start customizing your daily. . .

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Me and my wife are thinking of getting a used sports car just for short trips around EU. Not more than 3 hours drive to destination.

We would prefer something special that provides not just fun ride, but real experience. So we are considering 2 door coupe or convertible. Has to be fast and reliable. Max budget 55K Eur

I searched on google and so far I see Cayman and Audi R8 recommended, are there other options?
What would you recommend ?

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Me and my wife are thinking of getting a used sports car just for short trips around EU. Not more than 3 hours drive to destination.

We would prefer something special that provides not just fun ride, but real experience. So we are considering 2 door coupe or convertible. Has to be fast and reliable. Max budget 55K Eur

I searched on google and so far I see Cayman and Audi R8 recommended, are there other options?
Has to be a euro car?

I'm thinking Toyota MR-S. The ultimate MR2.
Pros:
Chassis,engine,reliability, perfect for twisty roads,can carry day bags.
Cons:
Not fancy enough for some, bit of an ugly duckling stock.
Remedy:
A good wheel and tire package, top quality variable rate coilovers (like Tanabe Sustec) and a GT wing? = Super aggressive looking sports car.

Bonus:
Resale on JDM Hero cars is an investment at this point. and the ugly duckling MR2 is astonishing value.

I see one in dark blue/black top with Smoke black Wedsport Sa15R wheels and a GT wing around my neighborhood. it looks mean.

Last edited:

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Take a look at the Lotus range if it's going to be a second car just for fun, lightweight, fun to drive, good owners clubs and used ones tend to be well looked after/cherished, a bit more special than anything German and cheaper to maintain

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics