• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Hey @Purplelabel The Saab is a nice looking estate. but i got to thinking today.
So is the Legacy GTB.
2002-subaru-legacy-gt-b-touring.jpg

Twin turbo, frameless doors,mcintosh audio,fully loaded, with AWD and a nice interior. Super practical.
:hide:

Last edited:

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey @Purplelabel The Saab is a nice looking estate. but i got to thinking today.
So is the Legacy GTB.
2002-subaru-legacy-gt-b-touring.jpg

Twin turbo, frameless doors,mcintosh audio,fully loaded, with AWD and a nice interior. Super practical.
:hide:
Absolutely! Mums friend used to have the green one with gold trim, it was a monster.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
never realize Tesla does decent wading test (around 1:10, and looks like 50cm, which I would think is a lot higher than normal not really off road but suburb suv wading depth)

and I guess real life "application"..., might still not turn out well though

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
I like how "woody" is still an apprentice after all of these years. Al his boss still has some skills to add.
one of the most skilled teams on youtube.
They can build.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Bronco reviews are pretty good so far. I’d consider it if they make a Raptor version or a quick EV version.

My thoughts exactly. My wife drives a 2016 4dr Wrangler. She puts no miles on it and with the state of the used car market, it's worth a decent amount. I keep trying to convince her to trade it on the new Bronco. But we'd end up overpaying for it anyway. Maybe a lease?? We've never leased before.

I've got a 2014 4dr Wrangler Rubicon and I was playing around on Vroom and Carvana and they both offered me just about $2k less than I paid for it when I bought it new.

I've wanted a Gladiator for a while and was tempted to sell the Wrangler and get a Gladiator but now that I've started seeing a few of the 4dr Broncos on the road (not the new Bronco Sport which I don't find appealing), I'm a bit torn.

Hopefully the used car market stays hot long enough for the Bronco supply to catch up but considering the huge production delays right now, I'm not too hopeful.

FWIW, Vroom offered me close to $40k for my 7-year-old vehicle. A couple of years ago I almost sold it to my sister for $18k but decided to hold off. :lol:

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Aiming for one of these soon.

View attachment 1641179
Please for the love of your wallet , don't do it. I have made this mistake buying 900T in early 2000s when company was still around. What a POS that car was. 65,ooo miles, clean and shiny off the auction lot. Leather seats, 5 doors, turbo etc. Cost me pennies 7000USD -should have been a warning bell. No dealer at the auction wanted to touch that ****.

In the first year of ownership:
1. Warped disk loosing air, no puncture in the tire just warped disk from factory. MF ''Viking shield'' wheels.
2. Gas tank sensor died, got stuck at the beach with empty tank.
3. Idling pulley disintegrated one morning (made of plastic). Mechanic shrugged shoulders and had that incredulity look when I asked him WHY? His answer was , :''It is Saab''.
4. Hood Saab emblem cracked, discoloured and fell off in pieces.
5. Check engine light on intermittently.
6. Leaking head gasket.
7. Liquid crustal display unit lost 30% of its pixels and slowly becoming unreadable.
8. Transmission light is on, cannot shift into D. Saab mechanic advise: ''Let the car idle for 10 minutes on the cold morning until transmission liquid warms up, my response:'' But this is Swedish car!?!'', Mechanic: ''Exactly''.
9. B pillar plastic wrap bubbles up from water and condensation and slowly unglues from the body. Solution: ''Most customers with Saabs just use heat gun remove factory matte plastic and have their garage paint B-pillars matte black. Why Saab did not do it in the first place?

Those are the problems I could recall, but I am certain there were more. I sold it after 14 months to some crazy people who collected Saabs for 5000USD Total loss over 14 months in repairs and depreciation around 4500USD

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
He's right.
Get a Subaru wagon. :thumbs-up:

Depending on the model, you might need to do head gaskets. or replace a stuck brake caliper.
In the interest of honesty, the legacy wagon we had for some reason was a dud. but i think it was human error (Thrashing it) that caused the engine to cook itself.

Then the dealer under warranty put in a used engine that also ate itself. So 2 engines in one year?
We just got unlucky and bought a badly treated used car from a shady dealer. Which sucked, because it was the car for my wife after my son was born.
It looked like this one:
0faf9458ab0c8dd4bff624cb3d80b5e8_232559_10.jpg

Only it had dark bronze/black wedsport wheels. It was a really, really good car.
Comfortable. bordering on luxurious but sporty. And it was freight train in the snow. a great family highway hauler. we loved it.

Since then, we have been a Subaru family. We replaced her Legacy wagon with one of these:
maxresdefault.jpg

*Same colour but not the actual one.
A 2001 Forester St/B Sti. In the 4 years we have had it, it has only had one problem. -a stuck brake caliper. that is all. and that is amazing.

During this time i had owned,as most of you guys know.
Pikachu, the yellow monster. (I built and painted this exact car)
1019.jpg
And aside from the clutch giving up? This hero car just kept fighting. it never really quit on me.

But we all grow old. and want something that does the same thing but in a more mature manner. so i bought this:
temple3.jpg
A 2001 Legacy B4 RSK.
Interior shot:
temple2.jpg
The interior as you can see, is damned nice. just like the black GT/B wagon.
temple5.jpg
A subtle hammer. . . :cool:

It takes a *cough* "Special" owner to really enjoy the Subaru life. But if you get a well looked after one? And treat it well? You will have almost no issues. any sensible Subaru owner will tell you that they are dependable.

So consider a Legacy wagon or a forester. especially a JDM one as an import.
Great cars, with minimal issues. in the right hands.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Please for the love of your wallet , don't do it. I have made this mistake buying 900T in early 2000s when company was still around. What a POS that car was. 65,ooo miles, clean and shiny off the auction lot. Leather seats, 5 doors, turbo etc. Cost me pennies 7000USD -should have been a warning bell. No dealer at the auction wanted to touch that ****.

1. Warped disk loosing air, no puncture in the tire just warped disk from factory. MF ''Viking shield'' wheels.
3. Idling pulley disintegrated one morning (made of plastic). Mechanic shrugged shoulders and had that incredulity look when I asked him WHY? His answer was , :''It is Saab''.
6. Leaking head gasket.
7. Liquid crustal display unit lost 30% of its pixels and slowly becoming unreadable.
8. Transmission light is on, cannot shift into D. Saab mechanic advise: ''Let the car idle for 10 minutes on the cold morning until transmission liquid warms up, my response:'' But this is Swedish car!?!'', Mechanic: ''Exactly''.
9. B pillar plastic wrap bubbles up from water and condensation and slowly unglues from the body. Solution: ''Most customers with Saabs just use heat gun remove factory matte plastic and have their garage paint B-pillars matte black. Why Saab did not do it in the first place?

Those are the problems I could recall, but I am certain there were more. I sold it after 14 months to some crazy people who collected Saabs for 5000USD Total loss over 14 months in repairs and depreciation around 4500USD

that’s like comically bad…

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

6. Leaking head gasket.

Yes, these cars were a disaster. 2 people at work had them and they constantly had expensive problems. My Dad's friend bought one brand new and dumped it after 2 years because it had all sorts of issues. It was always going in for repairs, which was a real headache even though the repairs were still covered by a warranty.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The guy in the beach house next to ours has a Ferrari Portofino. This is the first I’ve seen one and it is quite the looked compared to the California. The only weird thing is the sound when he goes speeding down the road. On the gear shifts right before the crackle from the exhaust, it almost sounds like he has a waste gate or whatever the hell those guys used to put on their Evos/STIs. Such a weird sound but I haven’t heard many Ferraris. I wonder if this is normal?

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've got a 2014 4dr Wrangler Rubicon and I was playing around on Vroom and Carvana and they both offered me just about $2k less than I paid for it when I bought it new.

I've wanted a Gladiator for a while and was tempted to sell the Wrangler and get a Gladiator but now that I've started seeing a few of the 4dr Broncos on the road (not the new Bronco Sport which I don't find appealing), I'm a bit torn.

Hopefully the used car market stays hot long enough for the Bronco supply to catch up but considering the huge production delays right now, I'm not too hopeful.

FWIW, Vroom offered me close to $40k for my 7-year-old vehicle. A couple of years ago I almost sold it to my sister for $18k but decided to hold off. :lol:
I'm not a fan of the new broncos, it looks like a fat/fluffy wrangler.

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
that’s like comically bad…
Yes, these cars were a disaster. 2 people at work had them and they constantly had expensive problems. My Dad's friend bought one brand new and dumped it after 2 years because it had all sorts of issues. It was always going in for repairs, which was a real headache even though the repairs were still covered by a warranty.
You want to hear comical?

When visiting Saab dealership in Massachusetts I witnessed a customer of brand new Saab in a service department, visibly upset, and talking to the service manager about his rear view mirror falling off on a 4 months old car. I remember this because it was such a ridiculous thing to hear.

One day when parking a car my neighbour stopped in his Saab convertible and asked me straight up: How do I enjoy my Saab? I mumbled something. He made a sad face and told me that his daughter also rejected Saab and bought Toyota something. What can you say to the guy who is clearly in love with that awful thing? I did not do Cosmo Kramer thing and did not say : ''Your baby is ugly''.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You want to hear comical?

When visiting Saab dealership in Massachusetts I witnessed a customer of brand new Saab in a service department, visibly upset, and talking to the service manager about his rear view mirror falling off on a 4 months old car. I remember this because it was such a ridiculous thing to hear.

One day when parking a car my neighbour stopped in his Saab convertible and asked me straight up: How do I enjoy my Saab? I mumbled something. He made a sad face and told me that his daughter also rejected Saab and bought Toyota something. What can you say to the guy who is clearly in love with that awful thing? I did not do Cosmo Kramer thing and did not say : ''Your baby is ugly''.

That is hillarious!

Did you get your car serviced at the old Gaston Andrey dealership in Framingham? I remember going there in the mid 90s when they were an authorized dealer for Ferrari, Saab, and I think Alfa although Alfa wasn't brining in any new cars by then so they just serviced them.

My dad's friend who bought a Saab used to chat with my dad about cars. My dad was big into German cars back then (MB, BMW, Porsche). So when his friend told him that he bought a Saab my dad didn't want to hurt his feelings. He told him "Oh that's a great car, congratulations! I'm sure you'll enjoy it." When his friend went to sell it 2 years later, he offered it to my dad. My dad said, "I wouldn't buy that piece of sh*t if it were the last thing on the planet with 4 wheels." His friend said, "I thought you liked it," My dad said, "You're a good guy and I didn't want to hurt your feelings since you already bought it, But those cars are plagued with problems. Why are you selling it?" He said, "well it's having a bunch of problems." Later my dad said to me, I guess we aren't good friends if he want's to sell me his headache. ;)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics