• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out if I am going to do it. Selling a car like this has me a bit worried. Seems like they have incentive to simply change the offer once they have possession of my car

Anecdotal but if you skim the Reddit discussions people who've sold their cars to Carvana said they honor the internet quote (with no retrading) unless you materially misrepresented the car (not sure if Vroom is any different).

One thing I can say from my experience with Vroom is that their offer is negotiable. I ran a car I was looking to buy all the way through their quote system and got a daily calls from them basically begging me to buy it. Just for fun I told them I might consider selling said car (I didn't even own yet) if they came up $1,500 and sure enough they immediately resent me an offer for exactly what I had asked for.

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't pay attention to email from the various dealer I used to negotiate so not sure if this is a abnormal thing, but from memory sounds like it, guess used car market is really that hot?

edit: this is BMW of Greenwich, didn't see something like this from BMW Manhattan

1621392970746.png

brokencycle

Reaction score
I don't pay attention to email from the various dealer I used to negotiate so not sure if this is a abnormal thing, but from memory sounds like it, guess used car market is really that hot?

edit: this is BMW of Greenwich, didn't see something like this from BMW Manhattan

View attachment 1612050

That's a common ploy by dealers. They do it all the time. Maybe not BMW dealers, but pleb brands certainly.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm in the car industry; covid has massively disrupted new vehicle production for many manufacturers - and it's not just due to the chip situation. Additionally, rental car companies and others with large fleets dumped and/or stopped buying new inventory during covid and are all trying to restock now, taking even more new product off the market and eating into inventory for consumers. All this has made the used market incredibly hot and will likely be so for quite a while.

April was a record sales month for new vehicles: With 18.5 million annualized units sold, April 2021 is the strongest April sales in the history of the U.S auto market and the highest of any month since July 2005.

Try renting a car and you'll see inventory is low or even non-existent and pricing is through the roof.
Try buying a used car and you'll see pricing for vehicles high and climbing.
Try buying a new vehicle and, in many situations, what the dealer has on their lot (which is likely thin already) is probably your only option, regardless of how much more you're willing to spend.

You can likely get top dollar, possibly even more than you'd expect, on selling your vehicle to a dealer right now because the market is so tight. They're happy to turn around and resell at a markup because customers just don't have the choices they normally would. Also, covid improvements, still cheap loans and stimulus money in some situations is getting customers moving.

As an aside, I tried to buy a moderate, good but entry level - read: aluminum, not carbon fiber or exotic - $2.5k road bike recently and the factory lead time is for next February. It's the sort of purchase that, previously, would have been no more than 30 days and likely 14.

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an aside, I tried to buy a moderate, good but entry level - read: aluminum, not carbon fiber or exotic - $2.5k road bike recently and the factory lead time is for next February. It's the sort of purchase that, previously, would have been no more than 30 days and likely 14.

I bought a new CF road bike this year. Upgraded from a 2008 model. I'd been looking on and off since last summer. Finally found the model/spec I wanted in a neighboring state and drove two hours to get it. On a positive note, bike tech has improved tremendously in the last 13 years.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought a new CF road bike this year. Upgraded from a 2008 model. I'd been looking on and off since last summer. Finally found the model/spec I wanted in a neighboring state and drove two hours to get it. On a positive note, bike tech has improved tremendously in the last 13 years.
I am sharking the manufacturer's site for availability - which my two local stores say is the right strategy - to see if one lands anywhere in my state but so far, no luck. You're right about the tech; amazing how fast/far bike stuff has progressed recently. And am just floored that there are consumer models in the $2k-$10k+ range. My sense was $4k'ish was the ceiling for off-the-rack bikes just 5 or so years ago, now you can easily double that.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like a Miata driver exceeded their competence on the coast road. Can’t tell if the top was down, or shredded in the rollover. Must have been an experience either way …

968D10A4-FF0E-4DDE-8732-B15828BEEF2F.jpeg

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1612050

It's just mass mailing to get you to come in and buy lease something newer. I used to get those all the time for my old Subie when it had almost 250,000 miles on it.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am sharking the manufacturer's site for availability - which my two local stores say is the right strategy - to see if one lands anywhere in my state but so far, no luck. You're right about the tech; amazing how fast/far bike stuff has progressed recently. And am just floored that there are consumer models in the $2k-$10k+ range. My sense was $4k'ish was the ceiling for off-the-rack bikes just 5 or so years ago, now you can easily double that.
That's exactly what I did. Kept checking and found nothing. I eventually realized the one sitting in the shop 2 hours away was my only choice. Thankfully it was still there a week or so after I saw it.

Join us in the bike thread:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

"The interesting thing is that the description in front of the car reveals that the SpaceX package of cold air thrusters is expected to go 0-60 mph in 1.1 seconds!"

so without roll out, 1.3, 1.5?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
just waiting for the sub 1 second 0-60 car to show up next...

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm sure we will see ridiculous fast ring time from electric car very soon (and road legal)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads