• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@RSS, drop the GLS like I did and grab an XC90. It has a nice "protection package" that comes with rubber mats that interlock and cover the entire back of the vehicle. Perfect for the pups, or in my case, a road bike.
I will admit that you and a few others have "urged" me in that direction. And there was that Saab convertible way back. I keep thinking "try Swedish again".

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will admit that you and a few others have "urged" me in that direction. And there was that Saab convertible way back. I keep thinking "try Swedish again".

I don't know if this fits with your preferences, but if I were getting an XC90 I would go certified pre-owned, and this is coming from someone who never buys used or CPO cars.

The XC90 has had incremental changes over the years but all of the things people like about it have been there for years (current model is the 2nd generation which came out in 2015). You can get a clean CPO with 30k miles coming off a lease for ~$40k with a 5-year unlimited mile warranty, which is better than the new car warranty. Given Volvo's reliability ratings, I would say that warranty has some value. Right now most CPO's off lease are 2018s but 2019s should be coming online in the next few months and the "big change" in that model year was an infotainment processor upgrade. I think the old ones were annoyingly slow, so I would have a preference for the 2019. I can't see coughing up $60k for a vehicle that has not seen substantial improvement since 2015 when CPOs in great condition are so easy to come by.

Obviously if you are leasing, it's a different calculus, but I think I recall you are a cash buyer.

Another one I would consider is the new Jeep Grand Cherokee L. It's a bit longer than the XC90 and the reliability is untested (I would assume it's poor) but I think it's an interesting option in the segment.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know if this fits with your preferences, but if I were getting an XC90 I would go certified pre-owned, and this is coming from someone who never buys used or CPO cars.
Good advice. Thank you.

That fits well with my preferences as I almost always buy pre-owned and certified (with few exceptions). I allow someone else to suffer that instant depreciation that comes about when driving off the lot. Moreover, we keep cars at more than one house ... so the savings is appreciated.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
From what I'm reading used cars are no deal at the moment, but then again, apparently neither are new. Can you put off the purchase 6-10 months in the thought that things will get normalized?

Reactions: RSS

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The current Range Rover has been around since 2013. You'd think they would capitalize on more frequent changes but I guess not.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this looks good (kind like Volvo+Porsche?)

brokencycle

Reaction score

The XC90 has had incremental changes over the years but all of the things people like about it have been there for years (current model is the 2nd generation which came out in 2015). You can get a clean CPO with 30k miles coming off a lease for ~$40k with a 5-year unlimited mile warranty, which is better than the new car warranty. Given Volvo's reliability ratings, I would say that warranty has some value. Right now most CPO's off lease are 2018s but 2019s should be coming online in the next few months and the "big change" in that model year was an infotainment processor upgrade. I think the old ones were annoyingly slow, so I would have a preference for the 2019. I can't see coughing up $60k for a vehicle that has not seen substantial improvement since 2015 when CPOs in great condition are so easy to come by.

Obviously if you are leasing, it's a different calculus, but I think I recall you are a cash buyer.

Another one I would consider is the new Jeep Grand Cherokee L. It's a bit longer than the XC90 and the reliability is untested (I would assume it's poor) but I think it's an interesting option in the segment.

Just to double down on this. I was starting to car shop, and I ultimately put it off, but Volvo was on my list (not an SUV), but you can also buy an extended CPO warranty up to 10 years past original in service date, and they are regularly rated as one of the best CPO programs.

I pay less attention to the SUVs, but with most luxury makes the depreciation from 3-10 years old is pretty steady and slow because they tend to bottom out, so if you bought a 3 year old model that is $40k, at the end of the CPO term, you could probably still sell it for $10k.

With that being said, a quick cars.com search shows 2020 XC90s being listed for $46k new, so 20% off MSRP.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From what I'm reading used cars are no deal at the moment, but then again, apparently neither are new. Can you put off the purchase 6-10 months in the thought that things will get normalized?
I can. Everything is fine at the moment ... even the PupMobile once the U-Joint is fixed.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I leased a 2021 XC90 back in December. I've really enjoyed it, even if it's wildly unnecessary for someone with no kids who lives in the city. Ended up getting it because leases were remarkably cheap. It had a $66k sticker and a 3-year, 30k mile lease shakes out to less than $500/month. Unsure if those deals are still floating around but I've been really pleased with it and would recommend.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Another member of the club.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads