• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a cars for plebs thread? Lease is up soon and I’ll probably move on a Highlander Hybrid. Probably think more for the wife as she drives more and the Subie is about half the mpg. Now, lease or purchase? I like this update of every 36 months or so but the pandemic screwed me out of like 8000 miles of usage. I think it would have been too tight (in b4 joak) if I would have been driving to the office daily.

I rather liked the MDX hybrid. Kinda bummed they aren’t bringing it back after the latest model refresh.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is pretty much the worst time to lease a car in a long while. Stock is so low (due to pandemic disruptions and now the chip shortages) that neither manufacturers nor dealers have much incentive to provide lease support. And with volumes down, finance departments are trying to make up their shortfalls by padding money factors.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Is there a cars for plebs thread? Lease is up soon and I’ll probably move on a Highlander Hybrid. Probably think more for the wife as she drives more and the Subie is about half the mpg. Now, lease or purchase? I like this update of every 36 months or so but the pandemic screwed me out of like 8000 miles of usage. I think it would have been too tight (in b4 joak) if I would have been driving to the office daily.

I rather liked the MDX hybrid. Kinda bummed they aren’t bringing it back after the latest model refresh.

My general opinion on lease vs buy: if you like getting a new car every 3 years or so, lease. If you are happy owning a car >5 years, buy. I'm a cheap bastard, so I'll probably buy a certified used next time.

I can't help much on the specific car other than my wife went and test drove a Rav4 and is getting that over her other options (Ford Edge, and Subaru Forrester). The Highlander seems huge to me, but I know you have multiple kids.

@UnFacconable was looking at SUVs recently.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

This is the correct answer. If you're leasing also make sure to get the Momentum and 100% not the Inscription. Residual is crazy better for the Mo and you can get everything on the Ins except the chrome trim.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am in perpetual indecision. I'm starting a new job soon that's expecting to return to office (eventually) about 1 mile from my current home but we are contemplating moving out of the city, or possibly just somewhere else in the city. Given the number of things in flight and the relative unimportance of cars to us, I've decided to hold off until things are more stable. The fact that it's a **** market to buy a car certainly is a factor.

I'm still giving plenty of thought to a Bronco when they become available to replace my decades old SUV but that's not an immediate thing. On the other hand, I'm still street parking that thing and not sure I want to street park a new car.

All of that said, there are still some deals to be had and leasehackr is a good resource. Audi eTrons seem to come up for a song every few months, but that might just be a California thing.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I second using leasehackr. Honestly, some of the luxury brands like Volvo have crazy lease numbers.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In what universe is an XC90 a “car for plebs?”

brokencycle

Reaction score
because of StyleForvm, I dropped word "pleb" into my casual everyday vocabulary. I thought I'd sound cool and worldly.

didn't sound so cool in front of my Naval Academy grad father in law.

That's because you used the wrong word. Plebe (long e) is a new cadet at a military academy. Pleb (short e) is short for plebeian, a commoner or lower class person from ancient Rome.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I know, at least later I learned about the differences in the 2 words. I still don't separate them since both classes are treated as "lower" and I get to throw in a "man, to go back to college, the fun we had" since i know college for him was 4 years of hell.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads