• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I had an LR3, when that model was a couple years in, without a single problem and I off-roaded it like crazy. Did rock crawling with it at a dealership sponsored event with pro-spotters. My critique would be they put all their R&D dollars into the drive train and suspension and forgot things like cassettes died with Kurt Cobain.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No ****. I hadn't thought about that. I have to assume Alan van der Merwe was driving the medical car that night too.

I have to say that I'm a bit surprised Grosjean is racing an indy car this year. After seeing the Drive to Survive episode where his [stunning] wife described what those two minutes were like before he emerged from the flames, I wasn't sure he'd ever get in a car again. I know the urge to compete is strong in a guy like that but he actually said that he couldn't do that to his family again if he were ever in another crash.

Either way, wish him the best.

Stunning wife for reference, when she rolled her eyes at his comment, "I'm the man that walked out of fire,"

View attachment 1594406
I did hear him say that, but still thought he really wanted to get back in a race car. Wasn’t he trying to figure out how to still get back before the end of the season?

the crash really softened my opinion of Grosjean. He infuriated me by being the worst kind of backmarker - erratic and overly crashy, and taking out the hopes and dreams of other teams while having no business being out there in my mind.

i haven’t changed my opinion of him being erratic, but I have a better appreciation of how he (and other borderline drivers) really do the best they can. And their competitive instinct refuses to let them roll over to the big dogs, which I respect.

i also for some reason saw him as overly arrogant, but in DTS he comes across as the exact opposite.

Anyway, maybe this is a good discussion to have in the F1 thread

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I did a thing after years of thinking about it.

Might have to hit up @Thrift Vader for some JDM headlights because these aren't LEDs...

Got peanuts for the acura TL in the trade but it had 167k and rust... I miss how smooth that motor was but man this thing makes me giggle with how surprisingly hard it pulls for an economy crossover.
God bless Toyota for throwing the v6 in here ???

Attachments

• IMG_20210412_081549.jpg
    IMG_20210412_081549.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20210412_080454.jpg
    IMG_20210412_080454.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 33

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I did a thing after years of thinking about it.

Might have to hit up @Thrift Vader for some JDM headlights because these aren't LEDs...

Got peanuts for the acura TL in the trade but it had 167k and rust... I miss how smooth that motor was but man this thing makes me giggle with how surprisingly hard it pulls for an economy crossover.
God bless Toyota for throwing the v6 in here ???
Where the **** you been?? ?
Didn’t know Toyota put a V6 in a RAV4...is there only one corporate V6 for the whole company? If so you prolly have the same engine that’s in the Lotus Evora

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Didn’t know Toyota put a V6 in a RAV4...is there only one corporate V6 for the whole company? If so you prolly have the same engine that’s in the Lotus Evora
Can you imagine that? An Evora engined ,fully tuned Rav4 grocery getter?
Peak Sleeper.

*gasps It's not the same engine that was available supercharged in the Toyota Crown's???? Now that could be a fun headache to have.

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Spent all winter chasing snow to try to keep myself sane. Residency's been wild and we do a ton of call our second year so there's that.

I listed the miata for sale and then pulled it because the car looks like trash. I'm going to go through everything and clean it up before listing it back up for sale. This father and son duo wanted to buy it but then in the 1-2 day period before the sale starting to try to haggle the price down further so I told them I wasn't interested in dealing with that anymore.

Hoping it'll sell this summer... I'm going to miss that silly thing, but I'm curious what I'll end up in after as a side car.

Re: V6
It was in the rav4 from 2006-2012. I bought a 2011 limited with a bit of cosmetic damage. I need to fix a door mirror and get the front bumper aligned since I think a tab is broken. But man... 85k miles for a 2011? Carfax has one accident in the history and it's listed as a minor fender bender. It's clearly been hit since then too with the door mirror and bumper being off. There's a gash on the bottom of the bumper as well

I basically did everything wrong when buying this car from the dealership (toyota dealer was selling it). I didn't even notice that the door mirror body was broken till I got on the highway. The dealership figured out I drove like 3 hrs to come look at the car so I was interested. Someone was trying to finance it when I got there and they had me wait till they figured out if that person was going to walk out or sign up for it. Well, I waited like 30 mins on a sunday to see it so they figured I was interested. Once they knew that, they didn't want to play ball on price or my trade in. I did almost walk out when they came up with a hilarious loan term, I ended up getting something like 4.x% which is low enough that it didn't make sense for me to try to pay it all off at once.

Should work fine through residency... maybe even a winter beater/snow car once I'm done training.
I found a black one further south that looked amazing and had only 75k miles on it, but I saw 2 other cars before seeing this one and both of them were awful. One had a huge crack on the windshield (not disclosed) and the second was being sold towards the high end of the price range and had a decent bit of damage, chips in the paint etc. The damage on mine is mostly fixable and very livable otherwise. It does have two different sets of tires F and R which is silly but whatever. I'll get something better when they wear out....

I just feel stupid that I waited this long to do it. I had posted something on a really good car group on fb about thinking about it and then decided to wait it out. Well, I got beached in the snow on a back road in the acura on the way home from snowboarding at 11pm on a work night and decided then that that was that. Used car prices are pretty wild right now so I wish I'd done it sooner, but I'm honestly stoked. I keep checking to see what else is out there and forget all about it when I get in this thing.

I def need to get a new headunit for it. This thing is hilariously old. Just need to do some research to see what will let me keep the steering controls.

Oh and the car also has a tow prep package. Should be good to tow 3500lbs!

Also also, I can dirtbag it when I go snowboarding. Planning to make a platform in the back so I can sleep in it for a night here and there because why the **** not.

The fb group is apex automotor -join it if you haven't already it's awesome I swear!

Can you imagine that? An Evora engined ,fully tuned Rav4 grocery getter?
Peak Sleeper.

*gasps It's not the same engine that was available supercharged in the Toyota Crown's???? Now that could be a fun headache to have.

And to answer both your and @HRoi 's question.
Yup... It's the same motor as the evora. Some modifications that toyota made for the lexus specific one but it's still the basic 2GR-FE. came supercharged on the lotus afaik. And yes, I think it was the same motor as the crown and a few others. Stateside, I think the highlander has them as well.

The V6 rav was actually the fastest car in their lineup for a year or two early on which is just plain funny to me.

Sorry for the long ass post, but yeah it's been a while.

I think I owed someone here a ride along in the miata... maybe I can make good on that if I still have it when everyone's vaccinated.

Last edited:

DubbyThaFerrgamoCZAR

Reaction score
^ I love how Doug wrote that article

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, if you are gojngt write articles like this, could you please just out your user name in the byline? It makes it easier to figure out which of you wrote this

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads