• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Agreed. I thought I would be ok with sofas on a Touring myself. Story time.

when i started to zero in on a GT3 last December, wife said ok but this time let’s get a Porsche that isn’t manual and doesn’t have the buckets. And for the love of god don’t delete the cats like you always do and stick me in this smelly and embarrassing car.

me: well the Touring doesn’t come in manual
Her: well, ok I guess
Me: oooh but I found the absolutely perfect spec Touring right in our city. But no sofas.
Her: ....

so now I just have to accidentally modify the exhaust while she’s not looking. I’ll keep the cats though, that would be impossible to hide. But she likes the car - I tricked her into driving it a few times and she’s comfortable with it. She categorically refuses to drive the 997 GT3 and the GT4

Akrapovic exhaust is awesome. Modular, so you can mix and match center bypass or muffler, side mufflers, side deletes, headers, etc.

Even if you do the full “race” setup that I have, which deletes center and side mufflers, and adds the race headers, you’d still have cats—though they are high-flow and technically not street legal.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should probably stop talking about cargo space because nobody gives a **** but I can't be the only one here who needs to jam bikes and scooters and other family gear into my car. @Piobaire could barely fit any cases of Paso wine in this thing!
Having a lot of cargo space is essential. Although not for bikes and scooters, but one or two dogs, a couple of dead geese, ducks and the occasional roe deer. Those cases of wine are easy, last summer when moving house I could fit two standard half pallets in the boot of the E Wagon I drive.

The whole concept of an e drive wagon slightly raised for country roads makes me very happy. Plus, the sheer size of em should make for ample battery capacity for longer drives.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having a lot of cargo space is essential. Although not for bikes and scooters, but one or two dogs, a couple of dead geese, ducks and the occasional roe deer. Those cases of wine are easy, last summer when moving house I could fit two standard half pallets in the boot of the E Wagon I drive.

The whole concept of an e drive wagon slightly raised for country roads makes me very happy. Plus, the sheer size of em should make for ample battery capacity for longer drives.

My wife's family has an E-Wagon in Germany with that nifty button that raises the suspension. They live on the top of one of the mountains in the Mosel wine region and their shared road with the wine growers is rutted all to hell. You press that button at the bottom and just drive on up no problems at all. Add electric to that and I would be in love though I couldn't afford the damned thing...

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife's family has an E-Wagon in Germany with that nifty button that raises the suspension. They live on the top of one of the mountains in the Mosel wine region and their shared road with the wine growers is rutted all to hell. You press that button at the bottom and just drive on up no problems at all. Add electric to that and I would be in love though I couldn't afford the damned thing...
Airmatic.
They now sell an e wagon all road that’s just perfect, but for the engine. Only sold in the 3 liter diesel. Which is an engine I love, but I just know my government is going to tax the hell out of it in the coming years.

I’ve resigned myself to knowing that the w212 diesel hybrid I drive now is the last diesel I’ll own. Next one is probably a gas plugin or full electric if I can swing it. I’ve still got around three years left in this car, so I’ll see what I’ll do by then.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Airmatic.
They now sell an e wagon all road that’s just perfect, but for the engine. Only sold in the 3 liter diesel. Which is an engine I love, but I just know my government is going to tax the hell out of it in the coming years.

I’ve resigned myself to knowing that the w212 diesel hybrid I drive now is the last diesel I’ll own. Next one is probably a gas plugin or full electric if I can swing it. I’ve still got around three years left in this car, so I’ll see what I’ll do by then.

That's it! Also theirs is a diesel as well. I think it is a 2012 as it is slightly newer than ours over here...

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Think you guys are missing the finer point I’m making.

No issues here with picking the Touring.

But if the point of the Touring is to be more subtle, Miami Blue defeats the purpose. The color is what attracts attention far, far more than the wing. It’s also a very contemporary-looking color. The Touring, particularly with its optional chrome trim, is best complemented by less loud or vintage-looking colors. Not a coincidence that Miami Blue Tourings are so rare.

The choice of black wheels and black door handles are also strange for a Touring. They are racy aesthetic features on a trim who’s entire reason for existence is to look less racy.

The sofas? Okay-ish on a Touring, but again weird with the other elements above. Jarring mish-mash between sporty/racy and subtlety/comfort.

In general, I think the CF buckets are the “right” seats on any GT3. They considerably increase road feel and place you lower in the car. Whether you want the car for its tactility on the street or its track worthiness, it is the better seat. Sofas can make sense for long distance comfort—but who is buying a GT3 for road trips? Also, the sofa seats are fugly as ****.
I had a notion of where you were going, but...I have a Touring with a loud color and black wheels. So I plead the fifth ?
Akrapovic exhaust is awesome. Modular, so you can mix and match center bypass or muffler, side mufflers, side deletes, headers, etc.

Even if you do the full “race” setup that I have, which deletes center and side mufflers, and adds the race headers, you’d still have cats—though they are high-flow and technically not street legal.
Remind me, did you get the center slip-on (the rectangular box) or the race slip-on (the tangle of pipes)?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I had a notion of where you were going, but...I have a Touring with a loud color and black wheels. So I plead the fifth ?

Remind me, did you get the center slip-on (the rectangular box) or the race slip-on (the tangle of pipes)?

I think Miami Blue in particular is a weird Touring color. Yours I don’t remember having an issue with.

Mine has the full race setup—headers, side delete, link pipe, center bypass. No center muffler or box.

^^^ But a shadow of the real-life experience and there is no going back!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don’t blame your wife, cat deletes are awful. They’re illegal, smelly, obnoxious and scream “I think I can pollute extra because of I want loud noises”.

Technically maybe not absolutely legal, but it is downright immoral to keep this masterpiece if an engine corked-up.

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Technically maybe not absolutely legal, but it is downright immoral to keep this masterpiece if an engine corked-up.
It’s a federal crime to modify catalytic converters. Again, saying your engine noise is more important than pollution is peak douche.

edit: you also subject everyone else to the ****** smell at lights and somewhat while driving. It’s the equivalent of playing your subwoofer at max volume and annoying everyone else.

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think Miami Blue in particular is a weird Touring color. Yours I don’t remember having an issue with.

Mine has the full race setup—headers, side delete, link pipe, center bypass. No center muffler or box.

^^^ But a shadow of the real-life experience and there is no going back!

So this center part, yeah?
72525F13-D971-4C99-8565-983377A75C4C.png

And not this one?
72EF6808-6D4C-43C4-8B42-68981D2F83CE.png

I should have just posted pics in the first place, sorry.

Akra’s also probably my top choice. They don’t have the highest advertised power claims. It can be debated whether they sound the best. They’re certainly not the loudest. But by god do they look the prettiest. The other choice is an exhaust from someone like Dundon that provides a much higher hp/tw delta but is uglee

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It’s a federal crime to modify catalytic converters. Again, saying your engine music is more important than pollution is peak douche.

FTFY

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So this center part, yeah?
View attachment 1568187
And not this one?
View attachment 1568188
I should have just posted pics in the first place, sorry.

Akra’s also probably my top choice. They don’t have the highest advertised power claims. It can be debated whether they sound the best. They’re certainly not the loudest. But by god do they look the prettiest. The other choice is an exhaust from someone like Dundon that provides a much higher hp/tw delta but is uglee

The bypass is the first pic, what I have. The second pic is a muffler.

The three top-end systems are Akra, Dundon, and JCR. Akra is the best made and the only maker that supplies Porsche itself. A friend of mind tried ordering from JCR but they sat on his money for months and were unresponsive until he finally forced them to refund. He wound up going with Akra. Dundon was super popular in the beginning but seems to have fallen-off in popularity. Most people who don’t pick the Akra are making the decision based on price.

I don’t believe any of their advertised power gains. AP says you can MAYBE eke out another 5-10 HP with exhaust mods, but that’s it. The only certain benefits are cutting weight and better sound.

And almost forgot! AP himself recommended the Akra, though in his opinion the best configuration is pairing the side deletes with the center muffler.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads