• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
not sure about the F series BMW though..., if you only need space occasionally, wait a bit for g20 GC to come out?

edit: though looks like you have a good chance to be be stuck with the 4 series grill as well, so...

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not sure about the F series BMW though..., if you only need space occasionally, wait a bit for g20 GC to come out?

edit: though looks like you have a good chance to be be stuck with the 4 series grill as well, so...

I actually don’t mind the grills when the car is black, which is my preferred color...:satisfied:

Still think I’d prefer a 330i wagon, though I’d have to think about it.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E46 330i wagon, rite? Actually why am i even asking, there’s no other right answer... :slayer:

Ha, no, this would be a 2017/2018 model... I know, blasphemy. Mea maxima culpa.

Though looking at the numbers, @clee1982, a gran coupe/Sportback might be the way to go. They do have a decent amount of room, and as far as performance goes, Audi has an RS 5, and I think BMW is coming out with an M4 GC to match it.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have heard about M4 GC rumor, but hasn't even seen anything confirmed for sure.

though if you're ok with GC, I guess not too far off just getting the Sedan?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ha, no, this would be a 2017/2018 model... I know, blasphemy. Mea maxima culpa.

Though looking at the numbers, @clee1982, a gran coupe/Sportback might be the way to go. They do have a decent amount of room, and as far as performance goes, Audi has an RS 5, and I think BMW is coming out with an M4 GC to match it.
Actually, I made a mistake earlier. The 2017/18 F3x and F8x are great looking autos, those are the last/sort of still current gen 3-series. The horrid looking ones are the 2020+ G-platform ones. The ones with the humongous front grilles, and in the case of the M-models, the prolapsed-rectum rear bumpers.

Is a sportback style car really an option for you? They have less utility than normal sedans because of the raked roof. If you’re looking for a wagon because of the people+cargo carrying ability then I’d steer clear. But if you just like that silhouette, the A5/S5/RS5 are special-looking cars. The RS7 is too, but that’s much larger than what you want. I also like the look of the 4-series GC (again, F-gen with normal grilles, not G). No M-model, but my neighbor just bought a 440i GC and it looks really nice. Gotta ask her how she likes it...

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yea, but the F series (other than the look) is where 3 series slide as a sport sedan.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the F80 was pretty much panned by everyone, and even BMW has effectively admitted it wasn't their best effort by saying that the G series is supposed to fix all the things people didn't like about the F.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s not so much that the incoming BMWs with the big grills are ugly, necessarily, it’s just that they’re not as attractive as the incoming MBs and Audis.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BMW has long since ceased to be a formidable competitor to Mercedes and Audi.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not sure about that statement, I took 5 series over E for a reason, now it's not AMG vs. M, just average BMW. BMW SUV is also very competitive.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I feel like fans of all three brands share the same complaint to some extent - “they ain’t what they used to be.”

Everyone says that about everything. Or the corollary: "they don't make things like they used to" because they have since small appliance that was made in the 80s still lying around.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like fans of all three brands share the same complaint to some extent - “they ain’t what they used to be.”
Not really. I would take any one of the newer Mercedes over mine, and I still like my e212 wagon a lot. The only ones that complain are the ones that miss the NA V8 engines (that they would never even utilize to 80%, let alone full).

And to be realistic, for me to hanker after those engines would be a double masochistic exercise with the gas prices in these parts. I’d be hurting myself to want something that would hurt my wallet even more.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Everyone says that about everything. Or the corollary: "they don't make things like they used to" because they have since small appliance that was made in the 80s still lying around.

The biggest complain with BMW is still steering feedback though, for the diehard, even styling was less of a concern (weight is pretty much everyone is heavier/bigger)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads