• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From a performance standpoint, pretty clear that the 992 GT3 is going to be a step up. Sounds like it's going to run in the 6's on the ring. We might just be getting to the point where the performance envelope of these cars is just so high, particularly on the latest and greatest tires, that the marginal enjoyment from additional performance is a bit irrelevant for most people. Sort of like performance on iPhones. They're all fast but the new ones have to be faster so they make them faster. I recently upgraded from a 7 to the new SE (4 generations newer processor) and haven't noticed any performance increase.

Will be interesting to see if you like it more than your 997. I feel like there are some people who have to have the newest and best but for most people you just get one and stick with it, rather than upgrading. When something is already too much, there's little point in upgrading for even more. Obviously the type of people getting GT3s are more likely the type of people who care about each small marginal improvement, whether because they have to have the best or otherwise, so perhaps it's hard to compare to prosaic items.
Both Andreas and Chris Harris also made the point in your first paragraph (Harris more extensively in his other videos/podcasts). It has to be incrementally better BECAUSE, but it’s pointless. It was good to hear that Porsche GT ticks the ‘better numbers’ box because they have to, but what they really focus on is the driving experience.

I’m excited to see if i like it too! It might be hard to expect to like it better than the 997, because there’s things that make that car special that simply just can’t be done anymore. But there might be space in the garage for something less special, but more modern, comfortable, but still capturing the essence of a GT

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Relevant comment by CH here:

CH: "Do we agree that the exhaust noise got out of control in the last 10 years with OEM's? The valved exhausts when open just got stupid."

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, the other relevant comment/factoid from that vid is that they showed me that my side mirrors can actually be manually folded! I am inordinately excited to learn this

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took my wife's 4Runner out to the local OHV park and put it through its paces this morning. I must say that I'm pretty impressed with it in stock form (with KO2s, but other than that). It went up/over/through everything I asked it to and we had a blast. There were lots of people out this morning and it was fun to watch some of the more heavily modified rigs go over the crazy obstacles they have there.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
4Runners are legit SUVs right out of the box. I have to admit they were on the list of possibles but the lease factors were for crap. The Highlander had great residual but about 8% on the MF which is outrageous. I think Toyota basically doesn't like leasing.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
When I looked at that new Hyundai/Kia SUV it was about the same cost of carry. If I remember right Subaru was around 5%. Just crazy and indicates to me who does and doesn't want leasing to be a material part of their business model.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4Runners are legit SUVs right out of the box. I have to admit they were on the list of possibles but the lease factors were for crap. The Highlander had great residual but about 8% on the MF which is outrageous. I think Toyota basically doesn't like leasing.

At least in our region vehicles like Highlanders, 4 Runners, Rav4s, etc sell and lease without any effort. The managing partner at our firm, his brother owns dealership and unless someone wants a stripped down base model, for the most part the minute they arrive they are out the door.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doing some research and it seems that BMW is putting out an M3 wagon... but not in the USA. It’s a shame because it ticks all of my boxes. Performance car, wagon, but not as long as an RS 6 Avance or E63S AMG wagon.

There are a few 330i wagons for sale in my area but they don’t have the performance factor I was hoping to get for my OneCar.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Albon crash in practice at the Bahrain GP.

40D53369-BF3B-4401-815C-5EDA598FB435.jpeg

This is why you always get track day insurance.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know what it looks like. I’m definitely not overcompensating.

Nothing to do with overcompensating. The AMG GT just reminds some of my friends of the car from that Saturday Night Live Cartoon with Ace and Gary. I wasn't a fan of its looks before, but after they mentioned that, I can't un-see it.

I'm a big fan of MB and AMG products...but for me the AMG GTC is a failure in the looks department. If you love it go for it.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love having a wagon now.

What did you get?

My problem is that I’ve gotten so used to the size of BMW’s 3 series. It’s so easy to find parking spots for it. That’s why a 3 series wagon would be nice (and an M3 wagon would be perfect.)

I know I’m in the minority but I think the Panamera Sport Turismo is really attractive.

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What did you get?

My problem is that I’ve gotten so used to the size of BMW’s 3 series. It’s so easy to find parking spots for it. That’s why a 3 series wagon would be nice (and an M3 wagon would be perfect.)

I know I’m in the minority but I think the Panamera Sport Turismo is really attractive.
I got a Volvo V60 PE. It’s essentially the hybrid T8 with tuning, big brembos, ohlins shocks, some fascia changes, and yellow seat belts. It’s 9 inches shorter than the E series wagon, so probably closer to a 3 series wagon in terms of size. It’s not as fast as an E63 or RS6, but 0-60 in 4.3-4.4 and 33 combined MPG is fine for now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads