• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
GLS S63 AMG ftw.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E63 Wagon is pretty much the best daily car if you’re limited to one.

That’s my reasoning.

-I live in NYC so it’s just one car for me.
-I don’t have room for winter tires so I would prefer AWD (I know it’s not as good.)
-I want an automatic (traffic sucks.)
-I don’t have kids but do like to have at least some room to store stuff for trips.
-There’s a ton of high performance AWD sedans but not many high performance AWD wagons, just seems to be a neat concept.
-The E63S wagon looks great but is also restrained.

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s my reasoning.

-I live in NYC so it’s just one car for me.
-I don’t have room for winter tires so I would prefer AWD (I know it’s not as good.)
-I want an automatic (traffic sucks.)
-I don’t have kids but do like to have at least some room to store stuff for trips.
-There’s a ton of high performance AWD sedans but not many high performance AWD wagons, just seems to be a neat concept.
-The E63S wagon looks great but is also restrained.
You’d have to get different tires than stock obviously, but you’d be ok if you got good all-seasons. NYC roads suck and the E63 is tuned fairly stiff, so test drive on some crappy roads to check.

I’m in almost the same situation as you. Had the M2, got sick of the ride quality, particularly in NY metro and wanted more space and AWD to stop swapping rims every winter. No kids, but my dog literally threw up from the motion sickness in my car every single ride (fine in other cars).

I love having a wagon now.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E63 Wagon is pretty much the best daily car if you’re limited to one.

Agreed.

I test drove one this time last year, and it lived up to the hype. I'm partial to the Sport Turismo, but for the city the ST is too big and wide and the E63, in my opinion, is a better daily.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right now I'm debating between a new E63S AMG or a used AMG GTC.

Go for the E63S AMG. An acquaintance has an AMG GTC, and I never thought it was good looking. Then one guy commented that it looked like the car from SNL driven by Gary and Ace...that's all I see when I see his car.

1606346943994.png

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
info here is very encouraging. The specs don’t point to any clear downsides. And the Speedster engine, ITB, slightly higher power, same weight, multi link suspension, larger brakes, hints at improved aero - all these are good things. I know some don’t like the increased size of the 992, but with that comes a wider track, so at least you get a performance benefit from it.

fitting the car with the Cup 2R tires is a cheat code and probably the reason why Andreas is grinning widely when he hints at Ring times. Someone will have to run the 991 on the same tires to get an apples/apples comparison.

Andreas saying that the wing, bumpers and diffusers are not in final form is probably the best news in this video. Those, along with the flat paint on the hood outlets were my least favorite parts of the car. If those will look different then that might be good news. (PS - the swan neck wing looks pretty good on the 718 clubsport)

still TBD: the drive, the sound (need GPF delete pronto) and the price. Andreas is saying “trust me” on the first two and he’s certainly earned my trust so far. So sure, I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt.

From a performance standpoint, pretty clear that the 992 GT3 is going to be a step up. Sounds like it's going to run in the 6's on the ring. We might just be getting to the point where the performance envelope of these cars is just so high, particularly on the latest and greatest tires, that the marginal enjoyment from additional performance is a bit irrelevant for most people. Sort of like performance on iPhones. They're all fast but the new ones have to be faster so they make them faster. I recently upgraded from a 7 to the new SE (4 generations newer processor) and haven't noticed any performance increase.

Will be interesting to see if you like it more than your 997. I feel like there are some people who have to have the newest and best but for most people you just get one and stick with it, rather than upgrading. When something is already too much, there's little point in upgrading for even more. Obviously the type of people getting GT3s are more likely the type of people who care about each small marginal improvement, whether because they have to have the best or otherwise, so perhaps it's hard to compare to prosaic items.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m in almost the same situation as you. Had the M2, got sick of the ride quality, particularly in NY metro and wanted more space and AWD to stop swapping rims every winter. No kids, but my dog literally threw up from the motion sickness in my car every single ride (fine in other cars).

I love having a wagon now.

The problem of mentally allocating money to an AMG wagon is that it also opens up the possibility of my childhood favorite, the 911. Which is the complete opposite of a wagon... but now comes in AWD/automatic as well. Logically, I know the lack of storage space (and a functional back seat) will drive me nuts once the thrill wears off, especially since it would be my only car. But it’s a 911. Do I really need a back seat that fits actual people? Friends are overrated!

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GLS S63 AMG ftw.
Stop posing as a douche driving a douchemobile or something like that.

Go for the E63S AMG. An acquaintance has an AMG GTC, and I never thought it was good looking. Then one guy commented that it looked like the car from SNL driven by Gary and Ace...that's all I see when I see his car.

View attachment 1504918
I know what it looks like. I’m definitely not overcompensating.

DubbyThaFerrgamoCZAR

Reaction score
"Ill see you in about 20 yrs"

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Production car looks slightly better than the test mule, but at the end of the day you can only put so much lipstick on a pig...

View attachment 1504487
Oof it does look unfortunate from that angle.

A lot more acceptable from 1/4 angle, eye level to fender, though:
7BCCE393-BEB4-4C20-9DD9-4B5016EDB497.png

From the rear angle, it looks...nice. Yes, better than the black mule car IMO. They really cleaned up all the **** on the rear bumper.
DC498E90-9C03-4111-8573-2744A27D29A2.png

But a lot busier than the 991 for sure. I can’t see enough of the wing to back up AP’s claim that it’s actually gorgeous. But i can see how the Touring version could look great with just the ducktail.

Another thing that i feel compelled to mention is that you need to live with odd aesthetic features if you want to be top dog with the almighty ‘Ring times. At this point in the game, the battle’s won by hunting every little aerodynamic advantage you can find. I find it brilliant how they thought of redesigning a wing so that the functional plane has a totally smooth surface unmarred by the turbulence the uprights create. Again, hunting every little advantage...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads