• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's amazing to think how far these cars have come:

That 911/964 Turbo must feel like a real handful on a track like that compared to a modern car, but so involving!

I got to ride in a 964 Turbo many years ago, as a friend who had been to Skip Barber racing school put it through its paces. It was a very memorable ride and a lot of fun!

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sounds like you're getting old :p

Same. I was heartbroken when I had to give up my own indulgence, but in this case, it was a growth spurt on the part of my children that was the final nail in that coffin..

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Same. I was heartbroken when I had to give up my own indulgence, but in this case, it was a growth spurt on the part of my children that was the final nail in that coffin..

Same. Still miss my R33 Skyline. as it was a rare "Rust free" example..
Hindsight sucks. Yes 4 doors is a better dad car. but when your kid is old enough to sit in a regular seat?
Should have kept it.

Last edited:

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chiming in late but couldn't miss the opportunity to weigh in again on the what a joke the G-class is at this point. I've never been a fan of the GLS and don't consider it a competitor in any real sense with the G-class, but it's silly to criticize the GLS which will work better than a G-class for everything a drive would reasonably do.

How many G-class owners need their trucks to do things they can't do in a GLS? Unless we're talking about fitting into slightly shorter parking spaces, the answer approaches zero. I guess it's cool that they have 3 locking differentials, but how is that meaningful in a world where all wheel drive and traction control are widely available? I don't off-road recreationally but I do regularly use my decades old AWD SUV (which also has 4-hi and 4-lo) and have almost never had to engage 4-hi. If my car had traction control, the answer would probably be never.

I have no problem with the original G wagons which were honest work vehicles but they long ago jumped the shark and the "new" one is more LARPer than genuine vehicle. The fake brush guard (which has been around for a while on these things) is a perfect symbol for what the modern G-class has become but the fact that they sell them exclusively with 19"+ street tires tells you all you need to know about how G's are bought and used. I have a lot of respect for old G's (like Defenders) which can be fun vintage cars but are not practical modern conveyances.

Having said all of that, I am strongly considering a new Bronco to replace my aging SUV and I recognize that a lot of the same criticisms apply but at least the Bronco carries the theme all the way through and has an interior designed to support the sort of work that the mechanicals are built for. I'll take the mildew-resistant interior over the G's festooned luxury in a box frame all day long.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Get a new Bronco and **** the haters. Drive whatever your personal calculus derives and never look back.

That said, how's the Bronco's time on The 'Ring? ;)

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a new Bronco and **** the haters. Drive whatever your personal calculus derives and never look back.

That said, how's the Bronco's time on The 'Ring? ;)

I'm not worried about haters - worst case scenario they key my doors but those are user replaceable on the Bronco. Obviously if I cared what e-bros think I would have different cars right now.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I finally got this thing out on a nice day and in its natural South FL habitat (hard parked in front of coffee shop).

6D8DB992-E5E9-4AB0-BC53-972E8FEC6475.jpeg

a bit of a frustrating story leading into a rant about modern cars. I had it serviced last month, and when I got home it informed me that my third brake light wasn’t operating. I knew immediately what happened - when you service these things you have to take off the rear deck, which the third brake light is integrated into. So the tech either forgot to reconnect the light when reinstalling the deck, or it came loose on the drive back.

On any one of my other cars, I’d unscrew a panel and plug it back in. Or it just wouldn’t be an issue because a tech would never touch it. On this one it had to sit for a couple of weeks until I had the time to drive it back to the dealer. ?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Running into a roadblock in regards to using the USB drive for my music (yeah, yeah, stream Spotify...**** that as bandwidth can be patchy here due to local conditions.) I have an iTunes directory off the root and then I have my dj sets in another directory off the root. Sensus doesn't seem to be able to see directories and just makes it all available in one huge alpha list. Anyone know if I'm just old and stupid and can't figure out how to access the music by /dir or if it just lacks that capability?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(yeah, yeah, stream Spotify...**** that as bandwidth can be patchy here due to local conditions.)
All of those services have download/offline options for paying customers...

I always keep some playlists/stations available for offline use.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Okay, but the USB issue?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Running into a roadblock in regards to using the USB drive for my music (yeah, yeah, stream Spotify...**** that as bandwidth can be patchy here due to local conditions.) I have an iTunes directory off the root and then I have my dj sets in another directory off the root. Sensus doesn't seem to be able to see directories and just makes it all available in one huge alpha list. Anyone know if I'm just old and stupid and can't figure out how to access the music by /dir or if it just lacks that capability?
Okay boomer.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Yeah, yeah, so tell this Gen X the answer, Millennial. After farting around I think it just can't parse the directory tree.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads