• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Goddamnit!!

:brick::deadhorse:

Shouldn't we be arguing about peak Porsche now.

With advent of the 992, my thesis on this is proving more correct, not less. It’s also not just my own eccentric view.

Anyway, the “argument about peak Porsche” is really a point made around the end of the naturally-aspirated engine and manual transmission. There will always be people who only like the air-cooled cars or those who think the 997 is the best balance of new and old, but the 991 or 992 is likely the last generation of 911s with that powertrain configuration.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With advent of the 992, my thesis on this is proving more correct, not less. It’s also not just my own eccentric view.
I don't think anyone is going to argue that the 992 is peak Porsche. The argument will probably be your GT vs older model Porsches.

The new 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 seems like it would be pretty close to peak Porsche.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is going to argue that the 992 is peak Porsche. The argument will probably be your GT vs older model Porsches.

The new 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 seems like it would be pretty close to peak Porsche.

Yeah, that’s what I’m getting at. It is not hyperbole to think or say that the 991.2-gen GT cars are likely “peak”. 992 is a step back or a step in the wrong direction.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's not the knee height that matters. It's the height at the bottom of your butt. You don't slide in with your legs bent at a 90-degree angle. You plant your butt on the seat and then swing your legs into the vehicle.

I'm 6'2 and I can comfortably slide into a full-size SUV (1994 RRC) without climbing at all. I have to crouch down to get into my Boxster or my 2002 or my ZHP (when I had it). It's simply easier for me to get into a higher car and it's 1000 times easier for me to load kids/stuff in and out of a higher vehicle because it's a straight-across load instead of having to lower the load into the car. But I recognize that people come in all shapes and sizes and things that are a good fit for me aren't necessarily going to be a good fit for someone else.

And this effect is doubled on getting out.

To get out of a car, you have to actually lift yourself (rather than just plop down), which is harder than getting out of a chair because you can't just go straight forwards/up. Taller cars let you swing your legs out and sort of slide out of the car rather than having to lift your bodyweight with the handle.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup my in-law is in her 70s, getting into the back seat of a sedan (and getting out) is definitely harder

My Dad is only 5"5 very thin, and in his 70s. When he was younger he drove BMWs, MBs, Porsches (back in the days before any them made SUVs). By his late 50s with some back issues he gave up on sports cars as found it too hard to get in and out. He has a 2016 MB E350 sedan and an MB SUV and he greatly prefers the SUV, just for his ease of getting in and out. Today he even finds sedans a hassle to get in and out of.

Another friend who is 5' 7" tall in his late 40s who owns a Porsche, Ferrari, Mercedes sedan, and a Toyota Highlander, suffered a bout with sciatica. He couldn't get in and out of his Porsche or Ferrari, couldn't use the clutch in the Porsche and even found his MB sedan tough to get in and out of. So for a few months all he could drive was his Highlander.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My women coworkers are mostly 40's and 50's stand between 5'2" to 5'7" and are heavy set. Not a single one drives a sedan. I drove them to lunch in my douchemobile and I had no problem getting out. They all struggled to lumber out of my car.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ass-to-mouth-to-seat, if you please.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ass-to-mouth-to-seat, if you please.
Havent you watched Clerks? You never go ATM unless she’s a dirty freak.

6CA043E5-DF69-47BD-84C0-CE5176DB0E8F.jpeg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Ankle and calf length is also an important metric.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Getting in and out of the car was the whole reason i instantly dropped the idea of getting a Honda S660 last year.
It was like sitting in a bucket. Swear i actually sort of rolled out of it.
Got out and looked at it. "nope"
-The dealer chuckled.
That was the end of that.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads