• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Okay everyone, get ready for a dozen pages of green Hermes breast car.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have heard this line of argument before, but it still does not add up. With higher ride and seat heights, you need to do more work to lift children, packages, your own mass, etc.

Honestly, sounds like a lot of post-rationalization of what everyone knows underneath it all is a fashion/image-driven decision.
Well you're not fat or old and you don't have to daily drive your kids to school. You're confusing SUV height with jacked up trucks or whatever. Most SUV's aren't that high and people can slide their ass into the car. Also with groceries, you don't need to bend to lower into your trunk. Again, you can just slide in and out of the trunk. This doesn't require bending your back.

It honestly sounds like you don't work with a lot of old fat people that daily drive.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well you're not fat or old and you don't have to daily drive your kids to school. You're confusing SUV height with jacked up trucks or whatever. Most SUV's aren't that high and people can slide their ass into the car. Also with groceries, you don't need to bend to lower into your trunk. Again, you can just slide in and out of the trunk. This doesn't require bending your back.

It honestly sounds like you don't work with a lot of old fat people that daily drive.
+1

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah...not everybody is Foo's height!

When my mom takes my grandpa to his doctor appointments, she would switch out her car for his ford escape (which he continued to own for a while after stopping driving) because he couldn't get in and out of her low car very easily. He's shrinking and I don't think he is above 6" anymore, but the escape is much easier.

That's half of the reason the compact crossover market is booming (especially the junky little 2wd ones that really have zero "sport" or "utility" benefits). Aging and fattening Americans can't get in and out of normal cars as easily. That extra 3-6" of height that many crossovers have is perfect.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Foo, not to be derogatory here, but maybe my COM is a bit higher than yours and I actually lower ****** to get into the seat of my ride? Hint: because I do and don't have to life my mass, I lower it.

7BA03100-13D4-45A4-AAAF-4343F5D2ED85.jpeg

Above is the 2020 GLS. Minimum ground clearance is 7.9 inches (per Mercedes). I can’t find height to the seat cushions anywhere, but it is easily 2-2.5 feet. Are your ankles/calves 2+ feet long?

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
I have heard this line of argument before, but it still does not add up. With higher ride and seat heights, you need to do more work to lift children, packages, your own mass, etc.

Honestly, sounds like a lot of post-rationalization of what everyone knows underneath it all is a fashion/image-driven decision.
My lower back is actually destroyed from farm work and manual labor. going from a 2 to 7 out of 10 on the pain scale daily.
My Subaru Legacy is low. Comfortable when there. though getting in and out of the car is a chore.

The Kei car i just had for 2 weeks? Gutless. but the seating was easy. it was decently comfortable. and i could get in and out easily. For some reason most Kei's have basic upright seating. You don't have to climb out of them.

The wife's forester is perfect. it's just like a regular office chair. but fast.

You can get immediate comfort from an SUV.
I intend however, to go for the infinitely adjustable bean bag style seating.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1485922

Above is the 2020 GLS. Minimum ground clearance is 7.9 inches (per Mercedes). I can’t find height to the seat cushions anywhere, but it is easily 2-2.5 feet. Are your ankles/calves 2+ feet long?
That seat looks like perfect ass height to not need to bend your knees. You can literally slide right into the seat without bending your waist or back.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The main thing is we despise personal choices that do not align with our own and create various ad hoc reasons why other people are incorrect in their strictly personal choices yet we are objectively making the right choices.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I think we're obviously going to need videos of people getting in and out of various cars.

brokencycle

Reaction score
The main thing is we despise personal choices that do not align with our own and create various ad hoc reasons why other people are incorrect in their strictly personal choices yet we are objectively making the right choices.

No! Marketing did it! It is marketing's fault!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No! Marketing did it! It is marketing's fault!

No, it’s consumers. Marketing is just giving them what they want. My point is that what people want is not always rational or based on utility.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Just FWIW, I did drive things like the BMW 300 series this time around. Yeah, pained the knee every time I got in and out and there was less room to swing my feet in. But keep in mind I'm wrong about this assessment because reasons.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just FWIW, I did drive things like the BMW 300 series this time around. Yeah, pained the knee every time I got in and out and there was less room to swing my feet in. But keep in mind I'm wrong about this assessment because reasons.

I can definitely see that, I'm not tall (5'7") and 540 is not low rider but I can see myself getting into a SUV easier...

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, it’s consumers. Marketing is just giving them what they want. My point is that what people want is not always rational or based on utility.
I know you live in NYC where people walk more and tend to be less fat but have you seen how fat Americans are where they drive everywhere? SUV is perfect for people that are overweight. Driving dynamics suck and off road capability suck but it gives them a lot of comfort and space.

I'm only 5-8, about 175 lbs, pretty fit, with good knees and back.

I test drove a Porsche 718 last year. Fun car to drive with great handling. Only reason why I didn't get it was because it was such a ******* pain to get out of the car once I pulled back into the dealership. I got back into my douchemobile AMG and was like there's no way I can get a 718 Cayman unless I keep my douchemobile.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads