• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brokencycle

Reaction score
We need to get Greenfrog back in here because you Volvo assholes are threatening the BMWBJ status of this thread
It lost BMWBJ status for Peak Porsche awhile back.

I can't remember why but that was ruled out. Basically it was tailored just to insult me, so of course being me, I just ******* claimed it and made it a point of pride.

Because MB is ashamed of Making the GLS but not the G wagon. Also there are no compromises with it. Obviously.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Then I guess Dubby ridin Douchey forever

View attachment 1485691
Yo Dubby, what are the plans for that going forward?
Match the odd color parts, or full respray?

If i remember rightly, you need interior parts? and the hood emblem?
I'm bored and searching the JDM auctions for the little things your car might need.

eh, you can browse it. And i can proxy anything you need.

Your car is just something different. Has character, sinister,badass. and a big saloon.

The world needs to hang onto cars like this. or we will all drive a hybrid.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because MB is ashamed of Making the GLS but not the G wagon. Also there are no compromises with it. Obviously.
I guess that’s why one is made in the US and the other in Austria.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s a freaking huge car too, so I guess it works.

but car factories in general are impressive to visit. The sheer amount of robotics, coordination and JIT logistics I find inspiring.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It’s simple isn’t it? G-wagen is a pure SUV with a real history to it. The GLS and the vast majority of other consumer/luxury SUVs are predominantly marketing-driven designs, meant to deliver the impression of rugged offroad capability and utility, but at the expense of on-road dynamics, comfort, and efficiency.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s simple isn’t it? G-wagen is a pure SUV with a real history to it. The GLS and the vast majority of other consumer/luxury SUVs are predominantly marketing-driven designs, meant to deliver the impression of rugged offroad capability and utility, but at the expense of on-road dynamics, comfort, and efficiency.
But I can see the appeal of them for older people, overweight adults, and people with young kids. They're easier to get in and out of and don't require you to bend your back to load/unload items.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
But I can see the appeal of them for older people, overweight adults, and people with young kids. They're easier to get in and out of and don't require you to bend your back to load/unload items.

For those functions, you’d want a lower, not higher car—like a sedan, wagon, minivan, etc.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Yeah, people with bad knees particularly appreciate the ease of getting in and out and the height any cargo is at. They are also comfy to drive if you commute to work and are not a weekend boy racer.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, people with bad knees particularly appreciate the ease of getting in and out and the height any cargo is at. They are also comfy to drive if you commute to work and are not a weekend boy racer.

1. If you have bad knees, why would you want to have to climb up into your car?

2. Physics (e.g. gravity, mass, inertia, etc.) is why a taller, heavier vehicle will always be less comfortable than a lower, lighter one when all else is equal. If comfort is your priority and your driving on roads, not trails, than you are far, far better off with an S-class than a GLS.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those functions, you’d want a lower, not higher car—like a sedan, wagon, minivan, etc.
Not really. I work with a lot of people that daily drive that are old, overweight, or have kids. They all tell me the same thing about SUV's vs cars. You don't want bend your back.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
1. If you have bad knees, why would you want to have to climb up into your car?

2. Physics (e.g. gravity, mass, inertia, etc.) is why a taller, heavier vehicle will always be less comfortable than a lower, lighter one when all else is equal. If comfort is your priority and your driving on roads, not trails, than you are far, far better off with an S-class than a GLS.

I'm glad you know how my body mechanics work more than I do. #2 is a straw man as I did not say they were more comfy than X other vehicle other than to indicate more comfy that sports oriented cars. Also, I use **** like the brakes to overcome inertia, etc.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not really. I work with a lot of people that daily drive that are old, overweight, or have kids. They all tell me the same thing about SUV's vs cars. You don't want bend your back.

I have heard this line of argument before, but it still does not add up. With higher ride and seat heights, you need to do more work to lift children, packages, your own mass, etc.

Honestly, sounds like a lot of post-rationalization of what everyone knows underneath it all is a fashion/image-driven decision.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm glad you know how my body mechanics work more than I do. #2 is a straw man as I did not say they were more comfy than X other vehicle other than to indicate more comfy that sports oriented cars. Also, I use **** like the brakes to overcome inertia, etc.

Lol can anyone else see why it’s ironic he’s calling #2 a straw man argument?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Foo, not to be derogatory here, but maybe my COM is a bit higher than yours and I actually lower ****** to get into the seat of my ride? Hint: because I do and don't have to life my mass, I lower it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads