• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Are these runs proliferating due to lockdowns and low traffic volumes? I figure that has to be it.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I think it has been a bit of a touchy subject because people started doing it back when there was limited covid-knowledge and so it both seemed not very safe and just kind of a dick move since it is clearly non-essential. Although the current record was set later in the pandemic when people realized it probably wasn't so bad since you don't really interact with anyone.

I do find this guy funny though. Everyone else (including the team that beat the record later this summer) thinks really hard about what car they are going to run. They choose euro sport sedans and cover up badges/trim to make them look extra generic. They often make various tuning and suspension adjustments to handle driving at those speeds while carrying a lot of weight. They install a whole suite of countermeasures...laser/radar jamming, night vision scopes, airplane detection systems, etc. They recruit spotters along the way and they have 2 drivers plus a dedicated lookout.

This guy just rented a 5.0 mustang and just drove from A to B by himself. Maybe he ran Waze. Yes, he added tanks, but it doesn't sound like he did anything else to the car. Did he even swap out the tires?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think it has been a bit of a touchy subject because people started doing it back when there was limited covid-knowledge and so it both seemed not very safe and just kind of a dick move since it is clearly non-essential. Although the current record was set later in the pandemic when people realized it probably wasn't so bad since you don't really interact with anyone.

I do find this guy funny though. Everyone else (including the team that beat the record later this summer) thinks really hard about what car they are going to run. They choose euro sport sedans and cover up badges/trim to make them look extra generic. They often make various tuning and suspension adjustments to handle driving at those speeds while carrying a lot of weight. They install a whole suite of countermeasures...laser/radar jamming, night vision scopes, airplane detection systems, etc. They recruit spotters along the way and they have 2 drivers plus a dedicated lookout.

This guy just rented a 5.0 mustang and just drove from A to B by himself. Maybe he ran Waze. Yes, he added tanks, but it doesn't sound like he did anything else to the car. Did he even swap out the tires?
Reminds me of the ****** car movie Need for Speed.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I mean...it says in the article. He ripped apart the rented mustang and installed an extra 111 gallons of tank to the trunk and passenger seat areas (in addition to the stock 16g tank).

Then instead of playing games like "try to park in between two pumps so you can fill two tanks at once" he just had buddies meet him in the middle with a pickup truck loaded with huge tanks and multiple high-flow hoses.

are we talking about the Mustang or Audi?

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m about $1k for 6 month, spotless driving record (because i never really drive since I got first license..., no car in college or grad school, then NYC/London doesn’t require car, until first born that is), garage parked (though not at home address so not sure if it’s net plus or minus), it’s GEICO

Well rates do depend on car and location, but also the amount of coverage one has for bodily injury, property damage, underinsured motorist coverage, med pay, some areas its extra for glass coverage. Also at least in our area if you want an umbrella policy, you have to carry at least 250/500K for BI to others.

I recently got a quote from Progressive and State Farm and both were much better. I'm thinking about making the switch.

I can't remember if it is Allstate or State Farm, but a very high end body shop around us won't touch your car if that is who it is insured by, because they nickel and dime them and want them to cut corners. The owner of the shop said it just isn't worth the hassle of trying to work with them and they won't compromise their workmanship.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
are we talking about the Mustang or Audi?

The Mustang.

My recollection is that the Audi simply refueled multiple times. They still had extra tanks, but they also had to carry 3 adult men so they just stopped normally and made up time by driving faster.

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't remember if it is Allstate or State Farm, but a very high end body shop around us won't touch your car if that is who it is insured by, because they nickel and dime them and want them to cut corners. The owner of the shop said it just isn't worth the hassle of trying to work with them and they won't compromise their workmanship.
Liberty Mutual tries to put used suspension parts in cars after collisions.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

When my X5 got hit, run, and totaled (by insurance company) while parked in front of my place in Philly, they were pretty good about giving me a reasonable value for it. I was expecting the worse, but they came in right at the top of KBB which surprised me. In all this, the thing that surprised me even more was the fact that they totaled it at all, since the body damage didn't appear extensive, but I assume maybe the frame was bent? I was parallel parked and in the city, so can't see how someone could have picked up enough speed and hit me at the right angle to have been able to knock the ***** on the sidewalk, but there it was.

PPA tried to write me a ticket for parking on the sidewalk. No word of a lie. My neighbor talked them out of it while he had me on the phone explaining what happened lol

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
there is a special place in hell for meter maids and office building security teams.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Even beyond that non-sense, I've seen them fight their own insureds/customers in order to not pay on an underinsured motorists claim. For those that don't know that is, it is when the driver who injures you doesn't carry enough insurance to compensate you for your injuries and then you have to make a claim on your own policy for the amount above the other guy's policy limit. We had to arbitrate the case to get him the additional funds that they should have paid. Although it was was nice to be able to tell the adjuster that if they had simply agreed to negotiate with us from the start, our client would have accepted far less than what we were awarded.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well, speaking of insurance, I can putting off getting an umbrella insurance, probably should do it at certain point...

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
If you wait a few months I hope to be able to sell you a nice umbrella policy from State Farm.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads