• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok please please don’t let anyone you love get a Samurai. This is probably the car I feel the most strongly about discouraging.

I think I told the story of why I feel this way - had a job as a lawyer’s dogsbody, law firm had a number of suits against Suzuki because they rolled over and killed the plaintiff’s loved one, got to view all the full-gore pics of crushed and decapitated bodies...

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Yah, don't be foolish and sharp turn a stock one under the lead foot.
I have seen one flip on it's side leaving a supermarket.
But the aftermarket has that sorted.
Wider wheel track, suspension mods. they are like goats.
The problem was "Kei" laws made them top heavy.

done right they are awesome. as evident they are everywhere.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok please please don’t let anyone you love get a Samurai. This is probably the car I feel the most strongly about discouraging.

I think I told the story of why I feel this way - had a job as a lawyer’s dogsbody, law firm had a number of suits against Suzuki because they rolled over and killed the plaintiff’s loved one, got to view all the full-gore pics of crushed and decapitated bodies...

that’s sad and sorry youhad to go through that

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That won't flip. looks legit.

Geo Trackers were the vehicles that flipped the most to my knowledge. We had an overweight grammar school teacher with one and she flipped hers twice. She was incredibly mean though, so we didn't care much :devil: (she survived both times btw)

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Naw, it was designed for a wide track. for military use?
but the rims had to not exceed the body. which had a high center of gravity, to meet Kei regulations.
Which you don't have, so you can get it right. as was intended.
Here they just put stock rims for inspection.
not uncommon for a Jimny / Samourai to blow past. with all the noises.
Coolness.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yah, don't be foolish and sharp turn a stock one under the lead foot.
I have seen one flip on it's side leaving a supermarket.
But the aftermarket has that sorted.
Wider wheel track, suspension mods. they are like goats.
The problem was "Kei" laws made them top heavy.

done right they are awesome. as evident they are everywhere.
We also have different driving conditions and higher average speeds than Japan. Also probably worse drivers

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that’s sad and sorry youhad to go through that
Thanks, I don’t mean to act traumatized by it. Had the job when I was younger and our reactions in the office were more like “gnarly dude!” than actually triggered. But it did make me really wary of Samurais.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Father and brother in law actually both have a samurai for off-roading. Those things can go where nothing else goes, with wide mud tires, a relocated radiator, even higher up on springs and of course a roll cage.

Quite safe too as the low gearing gearboxes preclude them going above 60-70 km/h.

Oneflewover

Reaction score
The fiat500 is tiny, but pretty entertaining to roll around in and can park in tiny spots. You actually get decent space in the back if you fold the seats down, but I'm pretty sure you don't want to be buying any Fiat 500 that is being sold for $5k.

Given what people say about them...I'd be worried about how much money you'd have to sink into it over time. Unless you really want a 500 for fun (like an Abarth version), seems like there are better cars.
Hired one for a Spanish holiday, great fun on the little mountain roads. You can fit an MTB in as well
rZZAmHz.jpg

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Father and brother in law actually both have a samurai for off-roading. Those things can go where nothing else goes, with wide mud tires, a relocated radiator, even higher up on springs and of course a roll cage.

Quite safe too as the low gearing gearboxes preclude them going above 60-70 km/h.

nice, but 60~70 km/h? you can't even get on high way?

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nice, but 60~70 km/h? you can't even get on high way?
Nope, that’s a definite nono. As a matter of fact, at least once a year they have to drive to the mechanic, who lives in a different town on the other side of the city. Without highways the only solution is driving straight through the city center. Loud, muddy and with that suspension also kidney stone free afterwards. Fun stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads