• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what kind depreciation do you expect from BMW though
I got an offer from Vroom for $41,000 and Carvana for $39,500. It’s not even in the ballpark. KBB trade in is around $39,500 and private sale is $43,000.

I also used the auction site my dad’s dealership uses to look up auction sales nationwide and there wasn’t one below $40,000

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lulz @ Subaru. They are firm at $675 a month, taxes in (8%.) This is for a 43k car with 1.4k of dealer adds that has a 63% residual and a .0014 MF. At full list the math says $601. I thanked him for his time and told him to let his sales manager know he just blew me off the lot and I'd make sure to let other folks know the dealership tries to get over MSRP. He apologized and "will get back to me."

**** them.

At my dealership, they list Ascents with almost $10k in dealer markup and Outbacks with $5k.

The thought of paying over list for a commodity vehicle is laughable but I guess they think it makes sense as a starting point for people who just want a Subaru and aren't price sensitive. I guess conceivably this could be a thing in the bay area?

I paid ~$7k under list price through the internet sales guy with no haggling a few years ago when Subies were hot but there was still plenty of supply. Not sure what it would be today. Maybe the fact that they had to shut the factory down for a while is driving the sales strategy with the assumption that there are enough people willing to pay over list for a scarce product?

I guess everyone is different but I think there's a lot of value in an Outback at a sub $30k price point and poor value above $40k.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Yeah, I suspect that's just in HCOL areas. I think the sales manager is counting on the fact 99.9% of people cannot do the simple math involved in the lease formula.

DubbyThaFerrgamoCZAR

Reaction score
So Fellas I need advice. I talked to my pops yesterday. Him and I were discussing the Benz because it has a busted tire. He was telling me

"I want you to keep the Benz as a project and have it be your Baby. But you need an SUV" "You already have a car. get an SUV. I'm trying to come up with some ideas right now for one that fits you.''

So I came up with three options and now narrowed it down to two. Option that I did away with (for now) is a 1st Gen Rav4. Now my only two are

Honda Passport I 1993 - 1997 SUV 5 door :: OUTSTANDING CARS

And

Chevrolet Suburban (2000) | Chevrolet suburban, Chevrolet, Used cars

Love Honda, even above Benz and GM (my three fav manufactures). Passport doesn't have a Honda built engine. If I buy a Honda car... I want a Honda engine (but them and Isuzu collaborated on these). I know absolutely nothing about Isuzu and their reliability. And I have no idea if parts are scarce for them over here (especially for these old engines). So if I get the Passport I could be in another money pit.. Probably worse than the Benz.

Suburban: My parents had a white Z71 in '08. I remember it being a good truck. Its LS powered.. Its reliable enough.. Only problem with me is.. They're too common. I don't know why but I'm kind of like my pops in a way when it comes to driving something more exclusive. And I have experience with this because the only other W126's I've seen on the road in my area was a beige one the day I bought mine. And a couple months after that I saw a black one down town. Other than those two I haven't seen any others other than mine in my general area. Feel like if I get the Suburban I'm going to experience Boredom of seeing the same thing I'm in 3 cars down at the stoplight. I won't experience this as much with the Passport.

I need Y'all to choose for me.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
The "Passport" is in fact an Isuzu. And that's a good thing.
Isuzu are stable. they are not known for any particular issues. With the right care, they are solid as a Toyota.
You could even swap out all the "Honda" crap and make it a proper Isuzu.
For full JDM effect.

Parts are available online. as are upgrades.
-Get the Isuzu. :cool:

Last edited:

DubbyThaFerrgamoCZAR

Reaction score

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
no problem mang, happy to help.
You might also want to look at Isuzu Rodeo's.

Anyway, I'm bored. so here are a few gems that i dug up for you to look at.

Florida:

Affordable, and fixable.

This one could easily look like the JDM one i posted earlier.
(i saw one with a broken transmission, so one with a new transmission could be a solid buy)

Isuzu are overlooked but i like them.
The models and names,also the engines is a mix. That doesn't matter, they are still good value against other brands.
Some fat JDM style wheels, and outdoorsy accessories can make a pretty badass daily that is different. for not much money.

This is just my opinion though. And i have obscure taste in cars.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
I feel like this is something we should talk about. The JDM "Outdoor" car fashions.

Landcruisers,prado's,Jeeps,and Isuzu's. among others.

It's as much fashion as function. more orientated towards camping than rock crawling. You can see a bunch of outdoor fashion brand stickers in the rear window (TNF,Patagonia,Chums,etc)
Gnarly rims, thick semi offroad tires, and roof racks.
It's a fashion culture that hasn't hit the states yet.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, it’s here. Google “overlanding rigs”. Not JDM heavy because Jeep, but there’s a decent following for Toyotas, along with a few Monteros (Pajero for you) and the occasional lovable lunatic in a Delica

DubbyThaFerrgamoCZAR

Reaction score
@Thrift Vader Final Decision. Thoughts? Ive looked into these before. I do genuinely like them.

257019.jpg

DubbyThaFerrgamoCZAR

Reaction score
2001-isuzu-vehicross-ironman-edition-for-sale.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads