• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
he buys everything, so that is quite possible, I would say Delorean looks better actually

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
i had no idea there were two Polestars. That’s a fine looking....crossover? Station wagon?

did they have the Polestar 1 there?

Proving how out of date I am here, it's like one of those BMW x-something sedans where technically the trunk is open the back but doesn't quite seem that way. Lots of space in the trunk.

They had the Polestar 1 there, yes. Not sure what to think of it. Only 150/yr coming to the US. I think it's just meant to be something a bit bonkers before the civilian models roll out, and indeed it's pretty much a head scratcher.

Volvo. That drink you ordered from the standing up menu on the bar, can't remember it's name. But it was good.
with soy, no foam

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check this one out guys.

I remember seeing photos of the AM Bulldog when I was a kid. It was even used in a few advertisements.
1600698271877.png

The Bulldog is bold, but I'm not sure I'd say it's good looking. It's designer, William Towns, designed fewer cars than the man behind the Delorean design. Mr. Towns's two best known designs are probably the 1968 Aston Martin DBS and the 1976 Lagonda...which are both love'm or hate'm types of designs.
1600699695496.png

1600699738787.png

I think the Delorean is a better looking car (although it's terrible in terms of performance). Then again, the guy who designed the Delorean, Giorgetto Giugiaro, is one of the most famous automobile designers of all time and has given us designs such as the DeTomaso Mangusta, Maserati Ghibli, Maserati Boomerang show car, the original Lotus Esprit, Maserati Bora, Maserati Merak, the BMW M1 etc.

1600698896982.png

1600698945198.png

1600698991572.png

1600699035347.png

1600699243768.png

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm probably minority, I would say BMW i8 looks good and aged well in the way M1 did...

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Still would take the Aston over the DMC.
Because the Aston is what the DMC wishes it was.
And it's bonkers.

Both look super 80's "Futuristic".
BMW 850 has aged the best though.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They had the Polestar 1 there, yes. Not sure what to think of it. Only 150/yr coming to the US. I think it's just meant to be something a bit bonkers before the civilian models roll out, and indeed it's pretty much a head scratcher.
It seemingly came out of nowhere for me and got really great reviews. And the design is really great - Volvo has really been knocking it out of the park these years.

I am enjoying these bonkers powertrain concepts that automakers are coming out with. Reminds me of when companies like PayPal (hello Elon!) disrupted the trad finance/payments paradigm and gave rise to all these crazy new vehicles that are now the modern fintech industry.

all respect to Tesla (hello again Elon) for being the disruptor, but I’ve always been more interested in what the ‘real’ car companies would do in response to regain their position. Polestar is very interesting, although they stole the name I was going to use for my strip club if I ever would own one

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I remember seeing photos of the AM Bulldog when I was a kid. It was even used in a few advertisements.
View attachment 1462460

The Bulldog is bold, but I'm not sure I'd say it's good looking. It's designer, William Towns, designed fewer cars than the man behind the Delorean design. Mr. Towns's two best known designs are probably the 1968 Aston Martin DBS and the 1976 Lagonda...which are both love'm or hate'm types of designs.
View attachment 1462472
View attachment 1462473

I think the Delorean is a better looking car (although it's terrible in terms of performance). Then again, the guy who designed the Delorean, Giorgetto Giugiaro, is one of the most famous automobile designers of all time and has given us designs such as the DeTomaso Mangusta, Maserati Ghibli, Maserati Boomerang show car, the original Lotus Esprit, Maserati Bora, Maserati Merak, the BMW M1 etc.

View attachment 1462461

View attachment 1462462

View attachment 1462463

View attachment 1462464

View attachment 1462469
This is a good read. Whatever happened to Giugiaro and why don’t I see them designing cars anymore? I know Giorgetto must be in his 80’s now and maybe that’s why - but afaik the Italdesign company is still active...

this is particularly weird given that the major companieshe designed for - Alfa, BMW, Maser - haven’t made great designs these days.

frank Stephenson also doesn’t seem to be designing cars these days. Meanwhile the people who made trash like the X7 and G80 are well and profitably employed...

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Whomever designed the latest whatever.
Go home.
(unless you work for Volvo)

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About a week in with my new Model Y, and I am really digging it. More than the 3 I had. It feels more solid, a bit heavier without sacrificing the driving dynamics. Just as quick and nimble as the 3. Curious about my timing and the battery day, think a few new things will come out. I leased this one for that reason, I think the range will get better, cause truthfully no one really cares about a battery lasting 150K or 1M miles, except those into recycling.

Reactions: A Y

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Polestar 2 is a real EV instead of hybrid right? I want real competition to Tesla, and for "main stream price" that looks good.

p.s. saw a lot X7 popping up lately, I would say they look quite imposing, and given what everyone does on large SUV these days, I don't see that as a bad design

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm probably minority, I would say BMW i8 looks good and aged well in the way M1 did...

The I8 is distinctive. I think it will take many more years to decide if it real aged as well as the original M1. I think the M1 is a far better looking car (but I realize that is subjective). Not to mention, although the NSX is credited with showing that one can make comfortable and reliable supercars...BMW did that first with their M1. If you read reviews of the day, it was about as quick as a Ferrari 512 Boxer or Lamborghini Countach, but far more comfortable, easier to drive, and probably easier to maintain. I don't think it got as much credit for that, as it was never officially exported to the US by BMW. The few that are here were gray market cars that were federalized (although, now due to age that isn't necessary if someone wanted to import one).

Also, knowing a guy that has an I8 and that it isn't really a sports car, I'd rather have the M1.

Still would take the Aston over the DMC.
Because the Aston is what the DMC wishes it was.
And it's bonkers.

Both look super 80's "Futuristic".
BMW 850 has aged the best though.

I'd take the Aston over the Delorean for its performance...but the Delorean is better looking.

The BMW 850, it was interesting when new, and I know you guys seem to love them, but I think they look terribly dated. Not to mention a few friends of mine that are die hard BMW guys, having owned various models and M cars for decades say you couldn't give them one...they are just plagued with problems.

This is a good read. Whatever happened to Giugiaro and why don’t I see them designing cars anymore? I know Giorgetto must be in his 80’s now and maybe that’s why - but afaik the Italdesign company is still active...

this is particularly weird given that the major companieshe designed for - Alfa, BMW, Maser - haven’t made great designs these days.

Mr. Giugiaro is in his 80's and is no longer associated with Italdesign. It was acquired by Audi a few years ago (90% in 2010 and then the remaining 10% 4 or 5 years ago). It should also be noted that aside from his designing cars like Masers, Alfas, Lotus, DeTomasos, an occasional Aston or Ferrari when he worked for other companies, he also designed cars that had a broader appeal and that were affordable such as the first generation VW Golf/Rabit in the 1970s, the first gen VW Jetta in the late 70s, the Fiat Panda and a host of other cars. In addition, he got into designing other things such as cameras for Nikon, trains, coffee makers etc. He did design an electric concept car for his 80th birthday, and it was named after his mother, but it isn't a sports car. It looks like something in between an SUV and a sedan (see below).

I don't think his contemporaries also in their 80s are designing vehicles now either. Macello Gandini - is famous for the Lamborghini Miura, Countach, and Diablo, and the Maserati Khamsin. Leonardo Fioravanti -who was originally groomed to take over Ferrari but was passed over after Enzo passed away- designed the 206/246 Dino, 365GTB/4 Daytona, 365/512 Boxer, 308GTB, the 288GTO, Testarossa, 328, F40 etc. I had an opportunity to meet Mr. Fioravanti in 2010 at Concorso Italiano during the week of Pebble Beach Concours and car events. He was really nice, gracious, and signed lots of cars, autographs, and took photos with anyone who asked.

1600705578840.png

Mr. Giugiaro and the Sybilla concept car named after his mother (Maria Sibilla)

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yea, BMW i8 only got the look department, it wasn't quick when it was out (quick but not that quick, and by the end of production it's way outdated...)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads