• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bear in mind that an electric motor produces torque (and therefore power) in a very different way than an ICE. In most ICEs, you need to rev to a pretty high RPM to get its maximum power. An electric motor on the other hand will lose torque (and therefore power) above a certain RPM, so it will make its maximum horsepower at lower speeds or revolutions, if you have some kind of gearing.
I decided to read up more about what BMW is doing. The EV actually shows promise - looks like they’re trying to out-Taycan Porsche, which would be a fine outcome. The most interesting part is the 3 motor setup (one for front axle, one independent for each rear wheel), which allows for the ultimate torque vectoring application.

the hybrid I’m still confused about - aren’t electric motors supposed to eliminate turbo lag? Because bmw has already virtually eliminated it in their turbo motors. And the current gen TT V8 already supports 800+ hp easily, so I wonder what is gained by this model..?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well, turbo lag is relative, I don't think my B58 has any "lag", but compare to electric, it is still not the same (especially with the fact that there is still gear to shift, I have a very steep up ramp here to get on to some bridge, that's the only time I find this ZF8 sometimes might be in the slightly wrong gear, though I don't think I can do much better, so you can accelerate up, then run into some slow moving truck, or bicycle for that matter, or just slow creep up then realize there is no one there).

I guess another reason I can think of is regulation, we know BMW is abandoning V12, probably V8 is only going to survive another generation too. If you look at the newly released 545e (not for NA, basically detuned B58+110hp electric), I would think that's the new 550 (i.e. full power B58 then say 150hp electric). Though I guess for new M5 it would be like 650hp+150hp electric (and if it has decent battery then it can make the fuel economy number a lot better).

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the hybrid I’m still confused about - aren’t electric motors supposed to eliminate turbo lag? Because bmw has already virtually eliminated it in their turbo motors. And the current gen TT V8 already supports 800+ hp easily, so I wonder what is gained by this model..?

I don't know, but maybe using an electric motor could let them relax some other part of the design. For example, maybe their turbo system could be simpler, cheaper, or maybe more durable?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
though my fear to BMW's approach to electric is this mixed platform, they tout it as maximum flexibility (produce gas/hybrid/electric all on the same line), which sounds to me like maximum compromise (not as good as it can be in either ICE or electric). Though 2023 is when BMW launching dedicated electric platform as well, so maybe this one would be on that?

and on BMW, would prefer if it wasn't in black

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Would think electric throttle input is very predictable vs gas, no turbo lag, unless 2 gear no extra kick randomly. If you can step on it while going from stationary would think you can step any time.

Throttle response and linearity of power delivery are different things. The “throttle” in an electric car is purely software and can be adjusted however a maker wants. Meanwhile, power delivery in an electric car is more or less instant; you don’t have to hit a particular RPM range to be making peak torque. I’m not well read enough on how electric race cars are engineered, but the problem with instant-on power is that it can cause a sudden loss of traction that makes it difficult to hold a line when turning. I’m supposing this is why electric cars are often AWD and have sophisticated/complex torque vectoring systems.

In contrast, a naturally aspirated engine generates torque in a linear fashion as RPMs build. So, a driver can more gradually and incrementally push a car toward the limits of adhesion while turning. Turbos are not as instant-on as an electric motor, but they do suddenly surge in torque at a certain RPM, which makes them similarly difficult to handle.

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yup, I understand that, so you can tune it "linear" all the way if so desired.

If torque curve is flat, then power all depends on rpm, so my point being you can tune it to "no surprise"

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I mean I don’t disagree that bmw still has a little bit of turbo lag/electric is still more instant-on, the benefit is not going to be significant. 0-30 times of the F90 M5 are dead even with the Taycan Turbo S, for example.

which conversely is also evidence that off the line traction can be managed in an electric car - Porsche’s done it. We’ll see when the Evija comes out if Lotus figures it out at 2000 hp and much lighter weights, though

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All this electric car talk is making me want to own a V12 while I still can. I've had a natural 4 (VW), turbo 4 (Saab. RIP.), turbo 5 (Volvo), turbo 6 (Audi), natural 6 (Porsche), triple turbo diesel 6 (BMW M50d), supercharged V8 (Range Rover) and twin turbo V8 (AMG). It would be kind of like ticking the final IC box before giving in to the inevitable.

Last edited:

brokencycle

Reaction score
All this electric car talk is making me want to own a V12 while I still can. I've had a natural 4 (VW), turbo 4 (Saab. RIP.), turbo 5 (Volvo), turbo 6 (Audi), natural 6 (Porsche), triple turbo diesel 6 (BMW M50d), supercharged V8 (Range Rover) and twin turbo V8 (AMG). It would be kind of like ticking the final IC box before giving in to the inevitable.

Don't forget a V10 -- get a Viper.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn it.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a plan for this - grab a 550 Maranello while it’s criminally undervalued. Alas, they no longer are. Now it might have to be an AM DBS.

or an E31 850ci and pretend I sort of have the same engine as the McLaren F1:happy:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a plan for this - grab a 550 Maranello while it’s criminally undervalued. Alas, they no longer are. Now it might have to be an AM DBS.

or an E31 850ci and pretend I sort of have the same engine as the McLaren F1:happy:

while we're at it

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads