• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm 100% not kidding either. Kia has come a long way.

Everyone who has one seems to love it, they get high marks across every review, they are inexpensive, but still very functional.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We've had to pull our son from his school in Florida due to COVID uncertainty. To soften the blow, will probably get him a car so he can drive to the new one here, which is about 8 miles from our house. Thoughts on good options for first-time drivers? Safe and slow sounds like a good combination. He wants a ******* truck, probably because he was up until recently at school in Florida, as I may have mentioned. Don't even like to think about what our insurance rates are going to do.

I have a couple of carfax's left after car shopping. Happy to help if needed.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
I'm assuming @Omega Male is willing to spend a little bit of money, so i'm just picking cool 1st cars. (usual suspects)
Had to.

This would clean up so rad. so easily.

This is a neat truck.

Of course, because this is close to mint.

Too good to be true?

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Hold up now. . . First car is a Porsche 912 ?

It's perfect for entering the car world.
It has brand recognition, Mechanical simplicity, Raw driving feels, Style for ever.
And in it's current state, with a little TLC. (Wheels&Tires,etc)
It would be a very forgiving car for bumps and scratches.
-fix it up bit by bit. if he studies hard, he gets help with it.

Yeah, I'd totally just walk in the the living room. Throw him a key. and say "Your car is outside" and watch him lose it.
:bounce2::eek::oops:?

Epic 1st car.

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That 2002 Toyota Tacoma has so little miles why the changing parts though? If I had the space and need to haul crap even twice a year I would definitely just get that

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hold up now. . . First car is a Porsche 912 ?

It's perfect for entering the car world.
It has brand recognition, Mechanical simplicity, Raw driving feels, Style for ever.
And in it's current state, with a little TLC. (Wheels&Tires,etc)
It would be a very forgiving car for bumps and scratches.
-fix it up bit by bit. if he studies hard, he gets help with it.

Yeah, I'd totally just walk in the the living room. Throw him a key. and say "Your car is outside" and watch him lose it.
:bounce2::eek::oops:?

Epic 1st car.

you're assuming his kid is a car guy..., otherwise he would be like what's this old beetle

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
The Taco?
Such a good deal. Any young lad would be ecstatic to get that.
It's so clean. like a new car. and it's the Camry of Trucks!!
The things that were replaced are things that degrade over time. so it's extraordinarily well kept. If my boy wanted an entry level truck? instant purchase.

The 912?
It's the perfect "Car guy" baptism.
Analogue cars are either disappearing, or out of reach. That represents a chance, to not only have a shared experience with a car. but to teach the lad that things can be awesome if worked for. Worked at, and worked on. That Car could be a keeper for life, with a story . - And an asset.
If i had the means? It would already be on a boat.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those are all terrible first car options for a teenager from a practical, safety, and reliability/convenience perspective...

Well, maybe not the Tacoma, but everything else is awful. You really want to be stuck maintaining you kids finicky old car? You want to give a brand new driver a car without airbags, abs, and traction control and put them on the road next to modern SUVs?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Tacos of that time period were noted for having the frame and undercarriage rust out. Think there was a class action suit. That probably is the cause of the part changes.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
You mean the rubber bits and the tie rod ends?

Still the 1st car that springs to mind as "Sensible" is the Lexus Is200.
I had the Jdm version. not fast, but handles with snail like grip.
-I couldn't make it lose grip on the street. oh wait. . . :lookaround:
:wink:
You really got to push it to get wild. such a planted grip car that responds to inputs well. it has all the safety items, and isn't fast enough to get in trouble. still a buzz on twisty roads at low speed. with 5 doors and good looks.
The modern RWD Corolla.

The car I truly recommend. They are just hard to find.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads