• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if I were to get a SUV I would say X3 M40 would do, you have a big dog or small dog?
Medium sized I guess. Miniature American Shepherd, about 30-40lbs once fully grown.

I’m leaning towards an X3 M40 with possibly Carbahn tune, which matches the 4 year warranty. Probably will feel just as quick as my car because it won’t spin the tires through the first few gears.

brokencycle

Reaction score
COVID has completely altered my choice of a car. I’m planning on selling/trading my M2 in and getting an SUV/crossover or wagon.

I’m getting a dog and don’t want to deal with the hassle of my interior getting scuffed or trying to fit a dog in a sedan. I hike most weekends and am taking the dog with me, so it’s not infrequent transport.

Unfortunately the last-gen E63 wagon is about as rare as hen’s teeth and retails for nearly the price of the current gen sedan. I can’t think of any other sporty and fun wagon’s on the market.

For SUVs I’ll probably consider Macan S/GTS, X3 M40, GLC43. I’m not planning on getting the top line SUV because I’m putting money aside to likely move somewhere more remote and rural.

I don’t need a ridiculous amount of ground clearance as my hiking trails originate from dirt parking lots.

Are there any other crossover, wagon, SUVs that are fun that I’m forgetting?

The only other wagon would be the Jaguar XF wagon, but it won't be as sporty as an AMG or M line.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is it. The greatest ever ICE car, as well as the technology’s last hurrah, has arrived :

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
so it's a reality, when I heard it I thought it was just a go no where concept, interesting he took sequential instead of H pattern, is that the only sequential (but not automated) road legal car out there (and fresh out manufacture, not some refit)?

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a pity he had to slap his name all over it like a teenage tagger. Dude, everybody who can afford to buy one knows who designed it. Small, tasteful logos on the coachwork and if you must have your handle spelled out, keep it to the sill plates.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so it's a reality, when I heard it I thought it was just a go no where concept, interesting he took sequential instead of H pattern, is that the only sequential (but not automated) road legal car out there (and fresh out manufacture, not some refit)?

It's H-pattern.

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is it. The greatest ever ICE car, as well as the technology’s last hurrah, has arrived :

The engine response time doesn’t sound very enjoyable to drive. Maybe it’s the rev on a bench test, otherwise you’ll snap your neck in stop and go traffic or at stoplights.

Backend looks like a Zonda (yuck). Front end is ok but has Taycan and C8 vibes, side has some nice lines but is reminiscent of a Lotus and i8. Top down view is really the only one I like.

Too much badging and not in the koenigsegg fun way.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally saw a Taycan on the road and thought it was a great looking car. Better looking than the Panamera but that is not a high bar...
I thought I saw a Taycan on the road coming the other way as I was riding my motorcycle on a twisty two-lane a few days ago. A few moments later it registered that it was actually a 918--which is weird because when I look at pictures of them online they are very obviously different.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Logistical question, how hard and expensive is it to get new OEM wheels generally? Let's say you have perfectly good set on a car but they are a design you don't like -- are dealers ever open to trading for another option on that particular model?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Logistical question, how hard and expensive is it to get new OEM wheels generally? Let's say you have perfectly good set on a car but they are a design you don't like -- are dealers ever open to trading for another option on that particular model?

if you're willing to buy, dealers are willing to order and sell.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
APR pulled their VW/audi downpipes from their website and are supposedly going to stop providing Stage 2 tunes after labor day. Sounds like an issue surrounding emissions/wanting to be 50-state compliant? Supposedly other tuners are going to follow?

Anyone heard anything similar?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The engine response time doesn’t sound very enjoyable to drive. Maybe it’s the rev on a bench test, otherwise you’ll snap your neck in stop and go traffic or at stoplights.

Throttle response has been something Murray's prioritized for a long time, and it can be made controllable by the response curve of the throttle: for example, the response at initial throttle tip-in could be slow and gradual, so it's not a binary thing where you get nearly everything. The max revving speed is only going to happen at wide open throttle, so it's not the kind of thing you'd experience in stop-and-go traffic. But with a lot of torque down low and the car's light weight, you will need a careful right foot in any case. Shifting speeds will be very fast as well with this kind of engine response.

A lot of cars these days trick people into thinking they're faster than they are by having very steep throttle curves, so even a little bit of gas will make the throttles open up a lot, but then not a lot more happens the rest of the way to the floor. Those gas pedals are hard to modulate and drive smoothly.

I don't get the objections to the badging. There's a small badge in front, and the name of the company and model in back. That's less than most other companies do.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This pretty much sums it up:

When the car was announced in 2018 some of the potential customers for the car contacted Mr. Murray with a request that the car have a three-pedal setup. “More and more, these people with a big supercar collection and a classic car collection, they were turning to their old 911 Porsches at the weekend to have a bit of fun. The supercars were getting wider and bigger, difficult to see out of, and they all had these switch gearchanges, and they just weren’t engaging enough,” recounts Murray.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You will definitely miss the Maser. In addition to the RAV Hybrid we have some performance cars, and it is a night and day experience going from the RAV to the sports cars...or even my wife's MB AMG C43. Still, once you get into the mind set of seeing what the most miles per gallon you can get is, its not so bad. Overall, it serves a purpose...just doesn't get the heart racing the way the other cars do.
My appreciation of cars is very superficial. I started on the Maser route via a GT3200 that was actually the wife's but she said it was 'too powerful' for her, so 'reluctantly' I swapped it for the Alfa 147 I had at the time (soon swapped to a Brera which was a very nice car, I might get another one but it had it's problems). Then a couple of bog standard QPs, until I got the 2010 QP Sports GTS which was a really nice car to drive. But then a truck killed that (luckily I was out of the car at the time and only got hit with a glancing blow, by my own car!).

Oh, I realise that I said GranTurismo by mistake, I'm driving a GranCabrio! LOL. I wanted a GT because I'm not one for open top cars. I remember working in Glasgow and my colleague had a MX5 and the first day with some sun, she took the roof down. It was freezing, yet the top was down. And here in HK, I always regard convertibles as such an expat thing. And the boot on the GC is even smaller. Anyway, so I'm driving a GT, wishing I was still driving my QP Sports GT. Ah, the number of times I switched on the ignition and then smiled involuntarily at the growl. Juvenile I know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads