• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ll post side by side photos of my 911s soon. It’s actually ridiculous how big the 991 is compared to the 964.

All cars have gotten ridiculously large in the last 30 years. A Lamborghini Aventador is about 2 feet longer than a Countach. A Ferrari 488 is 12 inches longer and 9 inches wider than 308/328 Ferrari. One can only wonder how large cars will be in another 20 years.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mini is the most polarizing I think.

D2586E00-B968-492A-889F-6055FE01B3A5.jpeg

Speaking of comparisons, I still can’t decide which one is uglier. Who approves of these designs? There are 3 of these convertible LR’s right across the street from me, so they definitely have some people interested, in what I have no idea.

F04569B8-416E-4E0D-8D17-C1ACDA3B15F7.jpeg

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I remember going on dates in various shitboxes and you and the girl would be virtually on top of each other. Like you’d drop your right arm to shift gears and make innocent contact with her side and her reaction could be a sign of how into you she was.

Now you have a huge center console, side bolster and armrest between you. Thankfully i already know that my wife’s reaction will always be negative so there’s no need to test anything out...

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Safety is probably the main reason why cars are getting bigger. The other reason I've heard for cars getting bigger is that people get bigger with each generation (maybe 1cm per generation?). Chris Bangle gave that as one reason why they had to raise the E65's trunk lid: the car itself had to get bigger, and to get the kind of proportion they wanted, they had to raise the trunk lid.

Ironically, cars getting better passive safety seems to also have reduced their active safety: lots of car designers do the lazy and cheap way to meet rollover standards by having roof pillars so thick they block visibility from inside the car. Add to that the anti-whiplash head supports, and it's pretty hard to see all around the car.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DSC00085.jpg
DSC00101.jpg

GTI is all mine!

Gave it a good wash. Paint needs some work but man is it fun to drive. Spent a few hours behind the wheel in stock form then updated the ECU with MAPerformance latest Stage 1 map. It is a completely different car. Second and third gear pull so hard. I never pushed it in 4th as I was already way over the speed limit. I was not expecting that kind of change. Dealer lists stock at 237 HP & 276 ft lbs torque and their custom stage 1 map at 303HP and 370 ft lbs on 93 octane.

I've been in SUV's for far too long. Not used to the stiff suspension and low profile tires but what a joy to drive in the corners. Love the sticky tires.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I remember going on dates in various shitboxes and you and the girl would be virtually on top of each other. Like you’d drop your right arm to shift gears and make innocent contact with her side and her reaction could be a sign of how into you she was.

Now you have a huge center console, side bolster and armrest between you. Thankfully i already know that my wife’s reaction will always be negative so there’s no need to test anything out...

When I was of the age to start car dating one of my friends had 1970s Chrysler New Yorker and another had a Pontiac Parisienne. Everything was bench seating back then and there was plenty of room to relax in either the front seat or the back. I can remember some girls would want a blanket strung up between the front and back seats as they didn't want what was going on in their seat seen by the other couple.

Halcyon days.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watching the British GP pre-race coverage. Obviously a commercial for Merc but they filmed a segment with Toto, Hamilton and Botas messing about in three identical AMG GTR’s. Worth a watch just to see Hamilton and Botas drifting around the course and laughing at their boss mercilessly for missing every breaking zone.

If your DVR recorded it, the segment is in the last half hour.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lol. Toto’s actually the GT series driver so he should’ve been more comfortable. Probably out of practice.

speaking of F1 team principals, I just found out that Christian Horner is married to Ginger Spice

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1434504 View attachment 1434505

GTI is all mine!

Gave it a good wash. Paint needs some work but man is it fun to drive. Spent a few hours behind the wheel in stock form then updated the ECU with MAPerformance latest Stage 1 map. It is a completely different car. Second and third gear pull so hard. I never pushed it in 4th as I was already way over the speed limit. I was not expecting that kind of change. Dealer lists stock at 237 HP & 276 ft lbs torque and their custom stage 1 map at 303HP and 370 ft lbs on 93 octane.

I've been in SUV's for far too long. Not used to the stiff suspension and low profile tires but what a joy to drive in the corners. Love the sticky tires.
+ about a hundred lb ft with just a stage 1? Not bad

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+ about a hundred lb ft with just a stage 1? Not bad
Yeah, that's part of why tuning these things blows up clutches. One is that the stock clutch is just weak... But the other is that the engine takes a tune quite well, even without a new downpipe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads