• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My next 911 will be a 996 GT3. Something about a Mezger with 0 driver aids just makes my nipples hard.

maxresdefault.jpg

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I definitely won't be able to touch Turbo examples, so might be conceding to a C4S. I guess life is good when that's your decision point? Lol.

I might have an opportunity to get something like this, but silver on gray interior for $29kUSD

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I definitely won't be able to touch Turbo examples, so might be conceding to a C4S. I guess life is good when that's your decision point? Lol.

I might have an opportunity to get something like this, but silver on gray interior for $29kUSD

The Turbo has a different engine design and doesn't suffer from IMS issues, that can affect the normally aspirated cars. A friend of mine has had a 996 Turbo for close to 20 years. He had an engine rebuild at around 425,000 miles, and its still going strong. He has about 600,000 on the car now.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Turbo has a different engine design and doesn't suffer from IMS issues, that can affect the normally aspirated cars. A friend of mine has had a 996 Turbo for close to 20 years. He had an engine rebuild at around 425,000 miles, and its still going strong. He has about 600,000 on the car now.

Yes, that is true; the 996 Turbo/GT3 are the 'nicer' engines of the two but definitely warrant higher prices. I'm requesting for more information but since the car is coming from a Porsche dealer, I'm taking that as a good sign...

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well got the service history back and it had a service appt 2.5 weeks ago that was super vague on the 996 C4S. Could be an O2 sensor so nbd

Waiting for inspection results but timeline is convenient that this got traded in recently

not a good feeling in this example but it’s coming from a Porsche dealership?

CB2EB7A4-7B98-4454-AE41-D1F6334DC708.jpeg

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well got the service history back and it had a service appt 2.5 weeks ago that was super vague on the 996 C4S. Could be an O2 sensor so nbd

Waiting for inspection results but timeline is convenient that this got traded in recently

View attachment 1425155

It's too old to be CPO'd, and I don't know where you are located (different countries/states have different laws concerning sales of used cars and warranties etc). So if in doubt, ask the dealer if they will allow you to get a PPI (at your cost) on the car through either another dealer or an independent. The local Ferrari dealer in our region has no issues with doing that. It could save you a lot of grief and expenses.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I bought my Range Rover Classic there were a few things that I started to notice after driving it for a few weeks. I took it to a Land Rover independent shop in Sacramento (about 40 minutes from my home) and I was lucky enough to stumble onto the shop that the PO had used. So I wound up getting an earful of the history of the vehicle and was able to confirm that a few things I had worried about had also worried the PO and he had had them checked out and found they were NBD. So that was pretty fortunate. It did make me chuckle that the PO had neglected to mention any of these concerns when he...uhhh...sold me the vehicle.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I bought my Range Rover Classic there were a few things that I started to notice after driving it for a few weeks. I took it to a Land Rover independent shop in Sacramento (about 40 minutes from my home) and I was lucky enough to stumble onto the shop that the PO had used. So I wound up getting an earful of the history of the vehicle and was able to confirm that a few things I had worried about had also worried the PO and he had had them checked out and found they were NBD. So that was pretty fortunate. It did make me chuckle that the PO had neglected to mention any of these concerns when he...uhhh...sold me the vehicle.

At least the concerns turned out to be NBD. One of my friends bought an exotic car privately (about a year before I met him), didn't get a PPI, and only much later did he learn of a very significant accident with a freakin train!!! I can't believe the car wasn't totaled. I am very familiar with this model of car, and upon opening and closing the passenger door I knew something was very wrong with it. Anyway, a few years later he tried to sell it, but he didn't get a single offer due to its history of a major accident.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's too old to be CPO'd, and I don't know where you are located (different countries/states have different laws concerning sales of used cars and warranties etc). So if in doubt, ask the dealer if they will allow you to get a PPI (at your cost) on the car through either another dealer or an independent. The local Ferrari dealer in our region has no issues with doing that. It could save you a lot of grief and expenses.

it’s actually going through a PPI right now due to it being a fresh trade so I’m going to wait the results on that. There are only two Porsche dealerships where I am within 3 hour distance and the C4S is located in the further location.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I paid for a PPI on my M2 as it was sold at a non-BMW dealership and only 3 months old, which I found odd. The car was perfect and hasn’t had a single issue in 18+ months, but it gave me peace of mind. Poor guy traded it in for a Mazda CX9

you are the father

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1425155
Soo....assuming i can’t talk you out of this abomination to 911’s ( :p)....

Why don’t you make it a condition of the sale that they perform the smoke test on the evaporator system and fix anything that leaks? It should be fairly cost effective for a Porsche dealer to do this

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least the concerns turned out to be NBD. One of my friends bought an exotic car privately (about a year before I met him), didn't get a PPI, and only much later did he learn of a very significant accident with a freakin train!!! I can't believe the car wasn't totaled. I am very familiar with this model of car, and upon opening and closing the passenger door I knew something was very wrong with it. Anyway, a few years later he tried to sell it, but he didn't get a single offer due to its history of a major accident.
Oh yeah, that would have sucked. My total OOP cost was like $6500, so we're not talking about a major danger here. :D

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, that would have sucked. My total OOP cost was like $6500, so we're not talking about a major danger here. :D

Yea, you were in a very safe zone. My friend totally screwed himself. I don't know what he paid, but even before I heard it had been in a major accident, just opening and closing the passenger door and a few other issues I noticed, I knew he paid way too much for this car.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads