• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That probably is the situation best suited to the car. i've always sort of thought of them as a maybe car. but they are a cool unit for sure.

I know many guys here are beyond the price bracket, but would you own an MR2?

They are a marvel of engineering. Mid engine affordable car? It doesn’t get much cooler. That said, it’s not something that appeals to me to own. I appreciate the Japanese cars but I was a European Car Magazine subscriber from 15-25. German cars do more for me, that’s all.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are a marvel of engineering. Mid engine affordable car? It doesn’t get much cooler. That said, it’s not something that appeals to me to own. I appreciate the Japanese cars but I was a European Car Magazine subscriber from 15-25. German cars do more for me, that’s all.
Remember the Fiero? If only GM hadn’t completely fucked production and assembly quality.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another great last lap on the GP today. Hard not to root for Lando. I know it’s early but can anyone challenge Merc?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another great last lap on the GP today. Hard not to root for Lando. I know it’s early but can anyone challenge Merc?
No. Ferrari is a clown show and Albon isn’t good enough for RB. He was nowhere today and was a full pit stop window plus an extra 8 seconds behind his teammate.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ve definitely been rooting for Lando. Kid’s amazing with a middle of the road car. And consistent too! I’d be extremely happy if he finished third in the drivers’ championship and Macca second in the constructors.

But all hail Mercedes.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forget the MR2, you need the Previa, which was the only mass-produced mid-engined minivan. (Renault's Espace F1 doesn't count.)

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember lengthy debates with high school buddies in that era about the merits of mid-engines cars.

I was a Porsche fan, my friend a Ferrari fan and I couldn’t give him/Ferrari any credit (18 yr old know-it-all). He ended up driving an MR2, me a GTI and our buddy an RX7. We all went to an auto-x to settle the debate and the MR2 was always fastest. More to do with the driver than the car but it was impressive.

Yes, I remember similar discussions in school.

As for who was the fastest, I'm not surprised more of it had to do with the driver.

That probably is the situation best suited to the car. i've always sort of thought of them as a maybe car. but they are a cool unit for sure.

I know many guys here are beyond the price bracket, but would you own an MR2?

As for whether someone would or wouldn't add it, I think there are other factors beyond price brackets. One guy I know, who is in his early 60's always talks nostalgically about getting a 1977 Mercury Capri (made in Germany) as he had one when he was in his 20s. When I told him I saw one on a nearby used car lot if he was interested. Then he said, nah...while he thinks about it occasionally, then he gets into other factors such as where to store it, how much time he would have to actually drive it (he has 3 weekend use Porsches), how much time he would have to maintain it, and his wife will kill him if he buys any more cars. A few years ago he purchased a 1985 911 Carrera without telling his wife. He waited until he was at a PCA dinner event with friends and told her, and she was very angry (and she is generally a very nice, easy going lady). Our friends who were there said that night they were afraid of her and afraid for him after he delivered the news. Luckily, for him she got over it.

I talked to two other guys today each owns a few nice fun cars, one guy is in his late 30s the other is in his 60s. Both interestingly want to buy a DeLorean. Neither has owned one, but they love the style, how everyone associates it with Back to the Future, and they don't care that the drive train is mediocre at best, the quality was lousy and the performance was a joke.

Maybe the real issue is whether one considers a vintage car is whether it is purely based on nostalgia vs is it a car they truly wish to own and devote other resources to? If they answer is yes to both, then maybe they buy it. If not maybe its just a fun idea to ponder, and in reality they choose something else.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve definitely been rooting for Lando. Kid’s amazing with a middle of the road car. And consistent too! I’d be extremely happy if he finished third in the drivers’ championship and Macca second in the constructors.

But all hail Mercedes.

How can you not love the kid.

from last weekend.

668A4AE9-A12D-4CB7-90EE-FF34BF8B8B9A.jpeg

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It’s going to be sad to break him and Sainz up. They seemed to have genuine camaraderie that didn’t seem tainted with the tension and bullshit that come with being F1 teammates. And didn’t take themselves or each other too seriously.

Ricciardo is a funny guy too, but seems like more of a drama queen than Sainz.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s going to be sad to break him and Sainz up. They seemed to have genuine camaraderie that didn’t seem tainted with the tension and bullshit that come with being F1 teammates. And didn’t take themselves or each other too seriously.

Ricciardo is a funny guy too, but seems like more of a drama queen than Sainz.
Sainz is going to hate his life at Ferrari after a handful of races.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never seen these Top Gear Outtakes before and thought they were very amusing. Richard and James have a seat heater war. :lol:

This one they routinely hit their heads on a camera

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
After almost getting stuck in a flash flood on the way to call on Friday, I'm seriously considering selling the 06 Acura TL and getting a v6 rav4 from 208-2012 era.

Any reason this is a bad idea? Other than the fact that my car runs fine and I owe zero dollars on it.

Whatever car I get should see me through the next 4-6 years... Or so I hope.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After almost getting stuck in a flash flood on the way to call on Friday, I'm seriously considering selling the 06 Acura TL and getting a v6 rav4 from 208-2012 era.

Any reason this is a bad idea? Other than the fact that my car runs fine and I owe zero dollars on it.

Whatever car I get should see me through the next 4-6 years... Or so I hope.

Can’t go wrong with Toyota. My family has had many (at least 5) and all have lasted upwards of 200K with very little maintenance.

Still in NJ? This is what Margate looked like during that storm. After living through the worst Sandy threw at NJ, I’m done with living by water

173CC7DA-1355-4BD5-B99E-4DFE79AA7F44.jpeg

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah still in jersey.

I hate the idea of having car payments but if I can get even 2k for this, it won't hurt too much especially in a 3-4ish year loan that I'd likely be able to pay off early anyway. My take home salary is likely going to increase this year by the amount of the payments and my rent is going to go down a bit due to living arrangement changes. I still managed to save a half decent amount over the last year anyway but it feels a little foolish to throw a bunch of that into a down payment.

I think it would be so much better for lifestyle. Looks like they can be had for 10k with sub 100k miles on them.

I need to refinance one or two of my privately held student loans while rates are low as well. That should free up some money as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads