• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think there’s a sort of middle ground that restomods can occupy. I understand and agree with Dino that some classics should be enjoyed and appreciated in their original glory (and with their original faults).

i think a good restomod takes the things brought about by technological innovation that the most iconic of classics cannot hope to replicate. At the very least - tire tech. Updating the tires on a Classic is all benefit and no trade-offs. Headlamps is another “. Those old halogen lights are a downright public safety issue if you used them now. I would also argue that you should also always upgrade the brakes (more debatable point would be adding ABS and other electronic aids).

the rest becomes preference. Some restomods modernize the silhouette of the car a bit in a pleasing way, like Singer and whoever did that new Stratos. But some thinks that ruins the classic. I also like a bit of period correct refreshing of the interior, mainly because I don’t like tatty old interiors and that’s what most old cars have.

horsepower I’m also not sure of. In a 911 or Mustang, you could get the most efficient, highest output version of essentially the same engine as the original and I think I’d be down with that. But that’s as far as I’d go. I wouldn’t Frankenstein swap or boost a n/a motor.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Maybe with a vehicle within a certain price range, I'd be less objectionable to more drastic changes, especially if it was a problematic car from the start, like many older British cars. MGs and Triumphs weren't reliable when they were new, so you are probably turning a relatively unusable car into something far more roadworthy.
I agree with the whole post. but highlighted this. This is why. it's the whole idea behind it.
To have the classic British feel,look,smell.
But parties like a Corolla. Starts every time, makes all the noises. handles and stops just like a small RWD 4 banger should.

I think there’s a sort of middle ground that restomods can occupy. I understand and agree with Dino that some classics should be enjoyed and appreciated in their original glory (and with their original faults).

i think a good restomod takes the things brought about by technological innovation that the most iconic of classics cannot hope to replicate. At the very least - tire tech. Updating the tires on a Classic is all benefit and no trade-offs. Headlamps is another “. Those old halogen lights are a downright public safety issue if you used them now. I would also argue that you should also always upgrade the brakes (more debatable point would be adding ABS and other electronic aids).

the rest becomes preference. Some restomods modernize the silhouette of the car a bit in a pleasing way, like Singer and whoever did that new Stratos. But some thinks that ruins the classic. I also like a bit of period correct refreshing of the interior, mainly because I don’t like tatty old interiors and that’s what most old cars have.

horsepower I’m also not sure of. In a 911 or Mustang, you could get the most efficient, highest output version of essentially the same engine as the original and I think I’d be down with that. But that’s as far as I’d go. I wouldn’t Frankenstein swap or boost a n/a motor.
Again, you are right.
The way Jay Leno does works for me. Just throws in tires, Tremec, and Willwood's. maybe vintage air...
But he keeps the character of the car.

Only, front to back. English cars need going through. like any Euro vintage.

Anyway, it will happen. down the line. I may need a manuel car sooner than that.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On my usual 4 mile long Longboard ride today I decided to count how many Tata Rovers (I mean Range Rovers) I could find. In my short 45 minute ride I counted 49. I wonder how that could be considering their reputation for basically sucking your wallet and patience dry, with how much they like to break down. I guess we’ll have to chalk it up to yet another status symbol of the rich and tasteless. Certainly not much originality here. If you’re gonna go with a Range Rover, at least choose and Era when they were considered reliable.

Like this one, which is commanding high dollars ($160K ballpark)

A67DD309-AAA0-44D3-B474-4EE6E58F64C0.jpeg

Scotty cracks me up, certainly don’t always agree with him, but it’s hard arguing against a mechanic with 52 years experience and one of the biggest car channels. Of course Land Rover won this contest

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
not sure, that front end remind of English sports car...

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what’s going on with VW buses? $122k?!

Prices on those early 23 window VW buses have been ridiculous for several years. I don't get it, but VW people go crazy for them and spend six figures on the best ones regularly.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did my good deed of the day. Decided to go out for one last ripp on the board and went down a new street to find a gorgeous 2000 Porsche Carrera 4 cabriolet with the dome light on. The exhaust was still cooling down, so I knew that there was still time. Only issue was I didn’t know what house it belonged to. Luckily I got it right on the first ring. Nice guy, was very surprised that I even bothered telling him. He’s owned it since brand new. I was second guessing even stopping, but it was definitely the right thing to do.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're lucky you didn't get shot.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what’s going on with VW buses? $122k?!

cat in shock.gif

Close family friends of my parents lived in Brockton in the 70s (long before the demographic shift) had one of these. We, the kids, would sleep in it overnight while it was parked in our backyard. I loved that thing, especially the hammock.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
VW Bus market has exploded recently. I was listening to a podcast and they talked about it (don’t recall which one).

The 23 window model is the one that fetches the big money! Those have been six figures for quite a while. Not my thing, but there is definitely a demographic that loves them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads