• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Admittedly I’m not a huge Grand Tour fan. I think after Top Gear ended, and yes I said that right, all hosts after we’re a joke, the 3 of them lost their mojo.

Timeless Classic Hamster and Captain Slow, driving timeless classics themselves

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was just watching the grand tour. where they complain that we all want the look of a classic car. but we want it to work like a modern car.

James May hates his 308. all agree on vintage cars.
They then go onto rebuilt classics made modern

Gotta do the MG.

Well, all vintage cars have their short comings, hell even some modern cars do. Modern cars are generally easier to drive (most are available with some form of automatic transmission so even someone's grandmother can drive it), they are bigger and have larger interiors so people who supersize their meals are more comfortable, and they have modern dual climate control systems, blue tooth, back up cameras, better sound systems etc.

Still, vintage cars are more beautiful, have character, make the right sounds (even without spending thousands on aftermarket exhausts), have a proper manual transmission, they generally require some skill and effort to master, and YOU drive them. The car doesn't choose the gear, it doesn't blip the throttle, it doesn't decide whether to cut the power, it doesn't apply the brakes... or chip a warning from a radar system because it is concerned that you might clip a road sign with your car even though its at least 10 feet above the car's roof when you approach it.

Don't get me wrong, modern cars are comfortable, and I enjoy driving my Cayman S when I want to just jump in and drive. Still, If I could only keep one sports car, the 328 stays and the Cayman would go. Other friends have said similar things. One friend with a 2018 991.2 GT3 with a manual and a 930 Turbo said, he loves the GT3...but the 930 is a keeper. He said GT3 he may keep for a few years or longer, but it's not necessarily a forever car for him. Another friend with a Macan GTS, a 2016 981 Boxster Spyder and a 1985 911 Carrera 3.2 (that he got 2 years ago) said...the other cars are great but he is never parting with his 3.2 Carrera. I have other friends who say similar things about their vintage cars vs. their new cars.

Granted, none of us use our older cars as daily drivers, they are mostly fun weekend experience cars. So these older cars don't have to be practical or make sense, they just have to be fun.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, all vintage cars have their short comings, hell even some modern cars do. Modern cars are generally easier to drive (most are available with some form of automatic transmission so even someone's grandmother car drive it), they are bigger and have larger interiors so people who supersize their meals are more comfortable, and they modern dual climate control systems, blue tooth, back up cameras, better sound systems etc.

Still, vintage cars are more beautiful, have character, make the right sounds (even without spending thousands on aftermarket exhausts), have a proper manual transmission, they generally require some skill and effort to master, and YOU drive them. The car doesn't choose the gear, it doesn't blip the throttle, it decide whether to cut the power, it doesn't apply the brakes... or chip a warning from a radar system because it is concerned that you might clip a road sign with your car even though its at least 10 feet above the car's roof when you approach it.

Don't get me wrong, modern cars are comfortable, and I enjoy driving my Cayman S when I want to just jump in and drive. Still, If I could only keep one sports car, the 328 stays and the Cayman would go. Other friends have said similar things. One friend with a 2018 991.2 GT3 with a manual and a 930 Turbo said, he loves the GT3...but the 930 is a keeper. He said GT3 he may keep for a few years or longer, but it's not necessarily a forever car for him. Another friend with a Macan GTS, a 2016 981 Boxster Spyder and a 1985 911 Carrera 3.2 (that he got 2 years ago) said...the other cars are great but he is never parting with his 3.2 Carrera. I have other friends who say similar things about their vintage cars vs. their new cars.

Granted, none of us use our older cars as daily drivers, they are mostly fun weekend experience cars. So these older cars don't have to be practical or make sense, they just have to be fun.

Well put. No elaboration needed. I would also keep the 930 Turbo over the GT3. Always loved the way the older Porsche models performed. While at Ferrari I got to experience most of what Porsche had to offer at the time including the Carerra GT, GT2 RS, 6 GT3 RS’s, and a TECHART 911 Turbo, and I enjoyed each one, but nothing was quite like that 1989 911 Turbo we had run through the shop.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldn't imagine being in stop and go bumper to bumper traffic with a manual transmission. I wouldn't want to DD an older car either. Fun weekend car with open roads, most people would agree with you.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I couldn't imagine being in stop and go bumper to bumper traffic with a manual transmission. I wouldn't want to DD an older car either. Fun weekend car with open roads, most people would agree with you.

Living in Central NJ and doing a lot of energy audits all over the 5 NYC boroughs, and daily driving a stick, I can say that I never looked at it that way. Otherwise I would have traded it for an auto years ago. Granted it’s been said many times that 8th Generation Honda SI is one of the easiest transmissions and clutches to navigate. Rowing my own gears through the Holland Tunnel was an experience, especially at 8200 RPM lol. Different Strokes, totally understand it’s not for everyone.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, white car with black wheels and trim/pipes, too tryhard?

2017_bmw_7_series-pic-2232074513013880016-1024x768_censored.jpg

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Grow a pair! :wink: Just kidding...still my dad daily drove an e24 633CSi, a 911 Carrera, and a 930 Turbo (all manuals) for several years (and remember no power steering on those Porsches, and those have heavy clutches). One of our neighbors daily drove a 1987 911 Carrera. There was also a guy in our town who daily drove a Ferrari Mondial QV. I daily drove cars with manuals for almost 2 decades. I might have continued with a manual as a daily, but Mrs. Dino couldn't drive a manual until many years after we were married. Back in the 80's and 90's people daily drove their nice cars, even with manuals.

As I said, those vintage cars are mostly weekend cars. Also many of us with vintage cars have them on collector car insurance policies for an agreed upon value. One of the conditions to those policies is that the cars aren't to be used as daily drivers, which limits their exposure to them being in accidents, vandalized, or stolen.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, white car with black wheels and trim/pipes, too tryhard?

View attachment 1418862

I'm just not a fan of black wheels on cars. The wheel's design gets lost when its black. Although, on those wheels it might be advantageous for hiding brake dust. Wheels with that many spokes are a pain to clean. I once had a car with lots of spokes like that. It took longer to wash the wheels than the rest of the car.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume you pay someone to do it...

1594030635025.png

I had a car with these wheels and they were such a pain to clean! The more spokes and closer together they are, the harder it is to get in between them and clean them. Now, I won't buy wheels if they have more than 10 spokes. If a car comes with them, I'd take them off and get something aftermarket that is light but easier to clean. Life's too short to spend my free time cleaning wheels like this...I'd rather be driving!

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I take take you never liked alpina then...

agree on hard to clean, some of the new wheel design these day are cleaning nightmare...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads