• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Alpine...

964 came with an aftermarket HU and was surprised to see this Alpine amp in the frunk. Even more surprised at how good the audio is.

Too bad I'm ripping it all out and installing a more period-correct looking HU which doesn't have any line-out connections so no more amp for me.

View attachment 1417335
$75k car.
$800 amp.
$2 dollar install.
WTF?

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Dammit, I wanted to put that amp on a shelf. for when i can build. better sound than dollar value.

why the **** install?

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMHO, Alpine has the best sound. agree with you there.
The best twisty road music is Vivaldi. yes, it makes you drive like a spirit.

I've always liked Alpine head units. They were well made, easy to use at a glance and looked great in any car. I had 2 of them in Porsches many years ago, and I have the original and the newer one that was installed in the 328 back in 2006. They always made a great product.

Speaking of Alpine...

964 came with an aftermarket HU and was surprised to see this Alpine amp in the frunk. Even more surprised at how good the audio is.

Too bad I'm ripping it all out and installing a more period-correct looking HU which doesn't have any line-out connections so no more amp for me.

View attachment 1417335

Very nice. Too bad you won't be able to use it anymore. Alpine and ADS were among the best amps you could buy back in the late 80s and early 90s.

In the late 90's early 00's my wife was an event planner in the pharma industry. Her client (Pfizer) held events at CART races (and PGA events). I tagged along and had amazing VIP access, which allowed me to wander aimlessly anywhere I wanted. At the time, Juan Pablo Montoya was the big name. I was never much of a motorsport guy until then. Now I follow F1 a bit.

The F1 netflix show was not great but is an interesting behind the scenes look at team dynamics & strategy, engineering, etc. and very well produced. Makes you feel badly for the Haas team. They just don't have the resources to compete against the big guys. Amazing photography of the events.

I used to follow F1 a little in the 80s, but I started to follow it very closely when I went to college and one of my friends from Japan was an avid F1 fan. I have followed it on again off again in the 2000s. A few of the nicer car dealership in our area would sometimes have F1 parties on Sunday mornings. They would invite people to join them to watch it on a big screen TV, and serve food and drinks.

Last edited:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
That amp would be used.
with a carrozeria HU ,which can sound shallow. and Alpine speakers.
Or Mcintosh from a Subaru.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Videos like these aren’t making my wait any easier for the Subbie. Our lovely NJ Governor is a little too hungry on power and dictatorial authority, going on 4 months furloughed with no end in sight.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Alpine...

View attachment 1417335

Why not this one? Yeah it costs a little more ($450 - $500) but it looks more period correct

original

1593808434594.png

vs redux

1593806498544.png

vs ugmo

1593807653331.png

bluetoof audio streaming, sd card/usb slot/aux input hidden behind "tape deck door", a second rear usb connection for charging, handsfree calling, plus a remote that you will lose

Added bonus: that Alpine amp won't go to waste

1593807382516.png

Last edited:

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Orange lighting which matches my interior lighting vs. red lighting which would look horribly out of place. Simple as that.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Orange lighting which matches my interior lighting vs. red lighting which would look horribly out of place. Simple as that.

RGB display = 256 different colour combinations per colour = 16,777,216 total colour combinations. It will match perfectly

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No one asked my opinion, but I’m more partial to the Blaupunkt option since the OEM 911 radios were Blaupunkt

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just unleashing one of my mutant powers: I can inevitably find ways to make people spend more of their money than they intended yet they end up loving me for it

My other mutant power is that I can make a woman's nipples hard from across the room

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This time I remembered my phone and saw this Mercedes

View attachment 1417928

The convertible looks much better to my eyes that the coupe.

No one asked my opinion, but I’m more partial to the Blaupunkt option since the OEM 911 radios were Blaupunkt

At least years ago in the 1980s and 90s when F body 911s /930s and 964s were new Blaupunkt head units were oem, but weren't particularly good. Still, I do think the Blaupunkt looks better and more at home in a 964, and I'm sure the quality is far better these days.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only reason I know what a Blaupunkt is because of the movie Bull Durham

Mine was something considerably less classier, then after getting hired by Ferrari and Maserati I was introduced to it again in the Quattroporte (stock CD Changer)

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only reason I know what a Blaupunkt is because of the movie Bull Durham

That is a good one. I also like the Blaupunkt reference in "The Town".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads