• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody watching the Austrian GP this weekend? Predictions?

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Honestly? Haven't followed F1 for years. because i can't see tham as aspirational cars. I know, strange reason. How is it these days?

I still loosely follow Rally, and JGTC.
You might like the latter.

Everybody. I hope you are sitting down for this. The $45,000 Corolla.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two Words. Danger. Zone. (best driving song). Product of the 80's/90's what can I say.

Great song, I understand the sentiment.

I know you worked for Ferrari in the 2000s, and I'm not sure about your dentist friend's 328, does it have a radio?

However, all Ferraris, I think starting in the 70 and at least running through the early 90's Ferraris were delivered without a radio (with the exception of Boxers, which came with a special Ferrari branded Pioneer head unit with graphic equalizer). They arrived with a leather covered "blanking plate" in the dashboard, and speakers and wires, so you wouldn't have to cut the car apart if you did want a stereo. So all stereos in vintage Ferraris (except Boxers) are aftermarket pieces installed by dealers/owners, which is why you see some cars with Blaupunkt, some with Alpine, and a few with Kenwood, or Sony etc. Some people just left the blanking plate in place and never added a stereo, with the idea being the real music is created by the car.

I have my 328's blanking plate and the original Alpine single slot CD player (which was so sensitive to bumps that running over a dime or a crushed cigarette in the road could almost cause it to skip). I did put in a more modern Alpine CD player that looks reasonably close to the original one that was in the car, but this has a removable faceplate. Like all tech items, prices were so much cheaper 15 years later that it cost 20% of the price of the original head unit. Anyway, whenever I ask Ms. Dino if she wants to bring some CDs for a drive, she says,"No, I want to listen to the engine."

So just silent car rides? If you say that you make your family listen to your exhaust for long rides then you’re a monster.

With the right car and the right sounds, it's not actually silent, but it is desirable. Particularly, for parents that might not want to listen to children's songs repeatedly for an hour or more :wink:.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Great song, I understand the sentiment.

I know you worked for Ferrari in the 2000s, and I'm not sure about your dentist friend's 328, does it have a radio?

However, all Ferraris, I think starting in the 70 and at least running through the early 90's Ferraris were delivered without a radio (with the exception of Boxers, which came with a special Ferrari branded Pioneer head unit with graphic equalizer). They arrived with a leather covered "blanking plate" in the dashboard, and speakers and wires, so you wouldn't have to cut the car apart if you did want a stereo. So all stereos in vintage Ferraris (except Boxers) are aftermarket pieces installed by dealers/owners, which is why you see some cars with Blaupunkt, some with Alpine, and a few with Kenwood, or Sony etc. Some people just left the blanking plate in place and never added a stereo, with the idea being the real music is created by the car.

I have my 328's blanking plate and the original Alpine single slot CD player (which was so sensitive to bumps that running over a dime or a crushed cigarette in the road could almost cause it to skip). I did put in a more modern Alpine CD player that looks reasonably close to the original one that was in the car, but this has a removable faceplate. Like all tech items, prices were so much cheaper 15 years later that it cost 20% of the price of the original head unit. Anyway, whenever I ask Ms. Dino if she wants to bring some CDs for a drive, she says,"No, I want to listen to the engine."

With the right car and the right sounds, it's not actually silent, but it is desirable. Particularly, for parents that might not want to listen to children's songs repeatedly for an hour or more :wink:.

IMHO, Alpine has the best sound. agree with you there.
The best twisty road music is Vivaldi. yes, it makes you drive like a spirit.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that Black Lives Matter livery that MB has is very sharp. McLaren drivers are outdriving their car’s capabilities which bodes well if the engineers could ever get their **** together. Although it’s sad they’re losing Sainz next year

Oh we actually have an F1 thread (that’s kind of dead though).

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Alpine...

964 came with an aftermarket HU and was surprised to see this Alpine amp in the frunk. Even more surprised at how good the audio is.

Too bad I'm ripping it all out and installing a more period-correct looking HU which doesn't have any line-out connections so no more amp for me.

amp.jpg

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may check it out...I'm thinking Mercedes, but I still cheer for Ferrari too.

that Black Lives Matter livery that MB has is very sharp. McLaren drivers are outdriving their car’s capabilities which bodes well if the engineers could ever get their **** together. Although it’s sad they’re losing Sainz next year

Oh we actually have an F1 thread (that’s kind of dead though).

I'll check it out.

In the late 90's early 00's my wife was an event planner in the pharma industry. Her client (Pfizer) held events at CART races (and PGA events). I tagged along and had amazing VIP access, which allowed me to wander aimlessly anywhere I wanted. At the time, Juan Pablo Montoya was the big name. I was never much of a motorsport guy until then. Now I follow F1 a bit.

The F1 netflix show was not great but is an interesting behind the scenes look at team dynamics & strategy, engineering, etc. and very well produced. Makes you feel badly for the Haas team. They just don't have the resources to compete against the big guys. Amazing photography of the events.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Somehow relevant, when i sold my car. this was what music went with it.

A Japanese dude is shredding to this. the circle of life.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This just in Bubba Wallace puts in an application for Mercedes F1 Team but gets rejected on account that he sucks and lied on his resume :fonz:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m interested to see how the spending cap improves the sport (or not). Much as I admire Mercedes dominance now, and Red Bull during Vet’s heyday and Ferrari in the Schumi years, I admit to liking F1 far more when there’s fierce competition. That’s when F1 becomes so compelling they make movies about the drivers and teams.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics