• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what do you mean by fake exhaust tip? the picture you show are mostly "real" exhaust but with a tip fit over it

I.E. part of the bumper assembly or slipped over the muffler tip for aesthetic non functioning purposes. None of the pictures above are an exception. Aesthetics are my main point here, not trying to start a war with the German "ride or die community". Past German and other models didn't resort to this kind of trickery, and it's eye rolling inducing for me on my longboard rides.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Here’s one thing I can’t overlook, and it’s as much of a plague in the automotive community as piano gloss black trim and fake exhaust noise. Now it’s not only the Germans that are advocates of this ridiculous trend, but they seem to be the ruling class.

I’m talking about fake exhaust tips, it’s just tacky and sort of embarrassing for the dollar value they are worth.

Like I said it’s not only German luxury cars

View attachment 1416833

View attachment 1416834

However these can not be ignored. All of these were taken within 30 minutes. Speaking of the M340

View attachment 1416835

View attachment 1416836

View attachment 1416837

View attachment 1416838

And for the most embarrassing, the Bentley. No excuses for this one.

View attachment 1416840

The Italians don’t seem to be apart of this trend for the most part, not saying there aren’t examples, but they pale in comparison.

Do you just spend your days creep photographing your neighborhood like you're casing the place?

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Volvo’s have very impressive interior quality in the last few years. Not the most exciting cars, but incredibly safe and good quality interiors.

Their Polestar models are incredibly overpriced and I wouldn’t want to own a supercharger and turbocharged motor after warranty.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well as long as the hole is real then I'm okay...

Even if you can see sunlight or the ground through that hole? I guess it doesn't bother everyone, but still worth mentioning.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you just spend your days creep photographing your neighborhood like you're casing the place?

Still working on the security systems, but give me more time with that. Nope just a guy who likes taking pictures of cars, can't be the only one here who does that. Otherwise annoying little ***** like Shmee wouldn't exist

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
well, we all know they make more money at higher value item (edit: not sure how much in relative term though), so yes, the higher model you buy the bigger s*cker you're but we already know that...
what i mean is, the lineup seems more linear than some of the others we looked at. No equivalent of the GLB for instance. Small to large with price going small to large, but it seems like you're only missing out on some size, not like a GLB vs. a GLE, the latter of which is for more equiped (and you pay for that).

yup, I was really tempted with V90 (and wife doesn't like wagon), though in the US it only come in LWB, and I thought that's just too big... interior wise you either like it or think it's a up leveled IKEA...
Gave the GLE a serious look, and it's the better vehicle all around. Better tech gimmicks, material finishing, power, handling, etc. You just have to pay for it. Wouldn't relate to IKEA since there's no assembly instructions, maybe Crate & Barrel to MB's Room & Board.

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what do you mean by see sunlight on the ground through that hole? the M340i picture you take has real exhaust on both left and right side

1593701465992.png

1593701819215.png

link original here, like it won't cast random shadow in the middle

1593701669934.png

1593701692259.png

would it "definitely" look better with a more traditional quad pipe (see M8 comp)? guess I'm indifferent
1593701500909.png

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what i mean is, the lineup seems more linear than some of the others we looked at. No equivalent of the GLB for instance. Small to large with price going small to large, but it seems like you're only missing out on some size, not like a GLB vs. a GLE, the latter of which is clearly superior (and you pay for that).

Gave the GLE a serious look, and it's the better vehicle all around. Better tech gimmicks, material finishing, power, handling, etc. You just have to pay for it. Wouldn't relate to IKEA since there's no assembly instructions, maybe Crate & Barrel to MB's Room & Board.

not replacing my car any time soon, my wife thought buying a car in manhattan was a waste of money to start, now COVID has vindicated my choice for the "escape new york" scenario... so I'm not going to get any grace for replacing that car which just lost I assume $15k since purchase?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what do you mean by see sunlight on the ground through that hole? the M340i picture you take has real exhaust on both left and right side

View attachment 1416844

View attachment 1416848

link original here, like it won't cast random shadow in the middle

View attachment 1416846
View attachment 1416847

would it "definitely" look better with a more traditional quad pipe (see M8 comp)? guess I'm indifferent
View attachment 1416845

I think you just proved my point for me. Does that look functioning to you, or for aesthetic purposes? That's a massive squarish hunk of metal attached to a cylindrical muffler. The Volvo in my previous post you can see the ground through the fake exhaust tip, as is the case with the Bentley. Sunlight hits the ground when you are driving and causes a glare that you cannot un-see. That last photo is how it should look. When's the last time you saw square exhaust tips before this ugly trend?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
guess I just don't get it, as long as it's real exhaust (which in some case it's not, but at least in this case it is), the shape of the tip to me is a design element that I'm more less indifferent.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yup, I was really tempted with V90 (and wife doesn't like wagon), though in the US it only come in LWB, and I thought that's just too big... interior wise you either like it or think it's a up leveled IKEA...

The issue with Volvo, at least for my friends that have purchased and leased them was lousy customer service. One guy who leased had several issues with his, got out of his lease early after 2 years and went back to German SUVs. He currently has all German vehicles again, an MB SUV for him, a BMW SUV for the wife, and they have a base 991.2 for weekends. Another friend purchased his Volvo SUV (I can't remember which model) at the same dealership where on the other side of the property they have an MB dealership. He said even though the same company owns the MB and the Volvo dealership, the customer service is simply not as good as that of MB. When his wife's MB SUV was coming off warranty about a year ago, they bought another MB. Then the Volvo was just coming off warranty this year and he traded it in for an MB SUV just a few weeks ago.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
guess I just don't get it, as long as it's real exhaust (which in some case it's not, but at least in this case it is), the shape of the tip to me is a design element that I'm more less indifferent.

But It’s not a real exhaust, if it’s all one piece then it is a real exhaust, that is bolted on to the exhaust. All things considered, it’s no different than my civic SI. I had an exhaust tip attached to it with a bolt, the bolt sheared off after 12 years and the tip fell off. Exhaust sounds exactly the same.

Before:

6AC47BF8-F23F-4C21-B219-848D05BCF559.jpeg

After (no difference in tone, just aesthetics)

D05A63EB-6B14-4C36-91CF-01B0A1E234A4.jpeg

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There’s weirder ones where the exhaust goes downward and the hole doesn’t serve any purpose whatsoever.

like this View attachment 1416851

idgaf, but some people just like to complain about every modernization or change to cars.

Lexus ISF was the worst IMO. It had quad bumper tips but only two exhausts.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads