• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought F10 is the least favorite generation of M5, it's a lot more "muscle" car approach

Yeah I know but what else is there? The E39 is beloved but a little long in tooth and quite frankly is basically E90 M3 sized, the E60 has that fabulous V10 but has expensive rod bearing issues and the F90 is trying its best to be an Audi. No true Bimmerphile wants an AWD M5?

That leaves the 6 speed F10 with a proper RWD shooting up in price within the next couple of years

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah I know but what else is there? The E39 is beloved but a little long in tooth and quite frankly is basically E90 M3 sized, the E60 has that fabulous V10 but has expensive rod bearing issues and the F90 is trying its best to be an Audi. No true Bimmerphile wants an AWD M5?

That leaves the 6 speed F10 with a proper RWD shooting up in price within the next couple of years

well, then E90 M3, 4 door, high rev V8, manual, RWD, though I assume the engine is equally tricky as the V10 in E60...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Let it be known: I am officially pleased with myself for getting my 991.2 GT3.

Unfortunately, the 992.1 version is shaping up to be measurably worse looking in every single way. To begin with, the 992 is already fatter and more bloated than the 991. The GT3 treatment doesn’t help.

The front grille looks very ant-eater or vacuum cleaner. Some people don’t like the shark-like nose on my car. But, come on—sharks are cool and fast! Cooler and faster than ant-eaters at least.

I like idea of the new Pista-inspired S-ducts. But they don’t look good. Something about how they are the inverse of the center hood indent.

Rear light bar is ******* awful. Hate that Porsche brought this back. Makes zero sense. Almost everyone who restomods goes to great pains to eliminate this silly piece of design jewelry. Very overtly decorative, and hence overtly unsporty looking.

Wing will no doubt be better functioning, with the same swan neck uprights as in the racing cars, but—man, so ugly. I always preferred the regular GT3 over the RS aesthetically because the former’s wing is more sculpted and integrated. Not anymore I guess

Also goodbye sweet, sweet rear ram air ducts. The dual, raised ducts on the GT3’s rear lid have been a signature feature. The new ones just blend into the lid.

Overall, this car simply doesn’t have the same aggression or shapeliness as the 991.2 generation. It looks like what it is: a 991 that put on some weight from stress-eating. Not excited for it.

Plus, it will sound like garbage. Thank you Euro-mandated particulate filters.

C63D6C4E-B5C7-4A16-AE2C-296A139F246A.jpeg

EC89C6F6-001F-44E8-BC27-8A8F1E46D8B3.jpeg

FDAECE72-8B89-4056-B041-3B567FE1513F.jpeg

6DE8A496-63E6-4BFA-A766-96862AA04111.jpeg

1D92953C-002F-4168-B857-677570C2F9CB.jpeg

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don’t like the wing either, but would be interested in the Touring anyway...

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can’t argue with that. You have to be an E46 fanboi to put up with the car fo sho. And just treat these problems as some kind of rite of passage, like Alfa owners treat rust
I had my ZHP for 16 years. In that time I had it in the shop three times--once for a failed coil pack (under warranty), once for a wire in the convertible top that broke after thousands of up/down cycles, and once for an oil leak. I knew people who had problems with their E46s, but it seemed like they also took poor care of their cars.

I have had the same experience with my E30 and my 2002. My cars almost never break down, and I drive them all regularly and pretty spiritedly.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Keith Collins floor mats. Highest quality I've seen in terms of details, especially if you want a car logo. They are very expensive, and you are limited really only by your imagination and what you want to spend. They will do anything from abstract designs, to car logos, car model name/number, your initials, some other script etc. They can do it in carpet, or mouton lamb wool. I have a set for my 328. The carpet background is plush black mouton lamb, the prancing horse is red, and it the horse is in carpet material for contrast, and even the horse looks sculpted and is three dimensional. A friend of mine has the Keith Collins floor mats, for his Quattroporte. He did the entire mat in carpet rather than lambs wool, which is less expensive than mouton lamb, but they still have beautiful details and the Tridents look 3 dimensional. Their website does show one car with the Porsche crest (See below, it looks to be the standard carpeting). Check the website for other examples of what they did for a Maser, a Bugatti, an Aston (those appear to be mouton lamb), a Rolls, etc.

View attachment 1401465

View attachment 1401466

Ah, thanks for the suggestion. I actually did stumble upon this vendor previously.

Not quite what I’m looking for. A bit too . . . lavish?

My issue with the OEM fabric mats is that they appear to made of low-grade mouse fur. Meanwhile, the carbon fiber mats that came with my car are essentially unusable—they wear through in less than 1,000 miles.

So, what I want is something very high quality that looks modern and sporty, yet is not over-the-top and distracting.

For example, I like what this guy did for his GT3 (or R), but he won’t tell anyone what the source is:

53B461E0-D509-456E-B3F5-6D8FC7A470E3.jpeg

Best guess is he got the Nylon 6.6 mats from Coco Mats and had another vendor customize it further.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
964 initial impressions...

- Gearbox is terrific
- Brakes are fantastic
- Interior is cramped
- Seating position isn't ideal
- Visibility is excellent
- Relatively quick for its age

While I wouldn't say I got a deal of a lifetime, I definitely stole it. The paint is original, the car is exceptionally clean, and most importantly it's mechanically sound. With that said, it does have a couple of small things that need addressing. But overall, I am very happy given I bought the car sight unseen and without PPI.

In terms of driving, it's just a sweet old car. Simple as that. I was gentle and timid with the car the first few minutes and could tell right away it didn't like that. It wants you to literally drive it like you stole it. And thanks to its size and weight, you can do this quite easily. More so, being a 911, you know it's not going to break. The car feels strong.

But it's clear the achilles heel of the stock car is its suspension (and tires). Though you can throw it into corners, it does have a boat-like quality that is somewhat mitigated by the AWD (and relatively light weight of the car). I'm excited to see how the KWs transform the car. The car deserves a proper suspension setup.

Overall? I'm happy to be able to experience a car like this. I'm sure the honeymoon phase will be over sooner rather than later, but for now I can't think of any instance where I'd grab the keys to the RS over the C4 for a cruise around town on a nice sunny day.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads