• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok, not familiar with that market, but say this vs. a equal condition S2000, would S2000 go over $50k?

With more time passing, I don’t see why it shouldn’t. Considering many with 80K on the clock are commanding between $15-20,000

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The same reasons why certain Porsche models are going for twice their price when new. This generation of Civic Si is heavily sought after. Most are tuned and modified beyond repair so one with such low mileage and preservation, i can totally see why it sold for its price.

Seems a bit different than Porsches in that they are high performance sports cars that have been dream cars for many since their inception. One can turn the key and enjoy it. The big thing about low mileage older Porsches, is that it is as close as one can get to experiencing a new 30 year old 911 as it left the show room floor. $50K to experience a like new, mass produced Civic that was basic transportation, looks like nothing special, and that one needs to drop thousands into to make it a performance car...seems a bit different. Not to mention, every miles one adds to that kills its value. Also once a person mods it, it is no longer a low mileage preserved car ...its just another modded Civic of which there are thousands.

Not sure how much it was driven or what one has spent maintaining it, but if it hasn't been driven in a long time and or hasn't had a multitude of parts replaced over the years, one is looking at replaces hoses, gaskets, fuel lines, etc.

Yea, I'm sure someone will spend a ton modding it and whatever, but there are a lot of other cars I'd rather have for $50K+.

On and on the topic of the RX7 that was posted earlier. A buddy of mine who is a "Car guy" had one new years ago. When I told him about this, he said, meh...been there done that. He said he had fun when it was new, but has no desire to own an RX7 again.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of designers, I just found out Frank Stephenson has a YouTube channel! He's the current design director at McLaren, but was responsible for the X5, Mini, various Maseratis and Ferraris (FXX, F430, QP, etc.). His latest video talks about how he had to design the X5 in 2 hours, and get a full scale model up in six weeks which is insane. His model builders turned out to be the same people who built the Lambo Miura.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok, not familiar with that market, but say this vs. a equal condition S2000, would S2000 go over $50k?

With the right car and the right buyer, I think it could. Especially if a Civic can go for that kind of money. There is a very strong market for S2000s. I know a few owners, they are super nice guys and really into their cars.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems a bit different than Porsches in that they are high performance sports cars that have been dream cars for many since their inception. One can turn the key and enjoy it. The big thing about low mileage older Porsches, is that it is as close as one can get to experiencing a new 30 year old 911 as it left the show room floor. $50K to experience a like new, mass produced Civic that was basic transportation, looks like nothing special, and that one needs to drop thousands into to make it a performance car...seems a bit different. Not to mention, every miles one adds to that kills its value. Also once a person mods it, it is no longer a low mileage preserved car ...its just another modded Civic of which there are thousands.

Not sure how much it was driven or what one has spent maintaining it, but if it hasn't been driven in a long time and or hasn't had a multitude of parts replaced over the years, one is looking at replaces hoses, gaskets, fuel lines, etc.

Yea, I'm sure someone will spend a ton modding it and whatever, but there are a lot of other cars I'd rather have for $50K+.

On and on the topic of the RX7 that was posted earlier. A buddy of mine who is a "Car guy" had one new years ago. When I told him about this, he said, meh...been there done that. He said he had fun when it was new, but has no desire to own an RX7 again.

I'd have to argue different strokes for different folks. Not everyone clamor's to own a Porsche and instead are very enthusiastic about cars that they can afford and modify to their own desire. In the Honda community the Civic Si isn't just another "mass produced basic transportation" car. They share as much in common with a standard base Civic as a GT3 does with a base 911. The Type R being the GT3RS of course ;). It has a different engine, transmission, suspension, wheels/tires, brakes, seats (even little things like gauge clusters). My own Civic Si is practically stock from the factory and when wound up to 8200 RPM in 2nd gear still puts a smile on my face 12 years (150K Miles later). Also the mileage argument can be said about many European markets cars like Mercedes, which doesn't even need mileage for it to experience it's own depreciation.

My twin brother had a base Civic from my exact generation. They are completely different animals from the same species. Mass produced or not, it's a fun car. Heck what isn't mass produced these days.

Not that I'm comparing my car to a Bugatti Veyron, but I once had the Shop Foreman at Ferrari tell me that my Civic Si was even more impressive then that Veyron that we had. It's a 2.0 Liter 200HP Naturally Aspirated engine, which equates to 100HP per liter. The Veyron needed 4 Turbos to achieve those numbers with an 8.0 Liter V16. Again not comparing the cars, but from an engineering standpoint, that is pretty impressive. Of course the Si's of today are that ****** Direct Injection Turbo's, so I digress.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd have to argue different strokes for different folks. Not everyone clamor's to own a Porsche and instead are very enthusiastic about cars that they can afford and modify to their own desire. In the Honda community the Civic Si isn't just another "mass produced basic transportation" car. They share as much in common with a standard base Civic as a GT3 does with a standard 911. Different engine, transmission, suspension, wheels/tires, brakes, seats (even little things like gauge clusters). My own Civic Si is practically stock from the factory and when wound up to 8200 RPM in 2nd gear still puts a smile on my face 12 years (150K Miles later). Also the mileage argument can be said about many European markets cars like Mercedes, which doesn't even need mileage for it to experience it's own depreciation.

My twin brother had a base Civic from my exact generation. They are completely different animals from the same species.

I'm not saying everyone is clamoring to own a Porsche. Just that I can more easily see someone paying what air cooled cars cost today, (and even those are over priced). $50K for a Civic, even an SI....its a lot of money even for the nicest version.

My mention of mileage was simply that every mile someone adds to that will drive the value closer to that of average Civics. Its not a collector car that is likely to maintain its value. As for European cars depreciating -most new cars do..unless one is talking about a few very limited production specialty cars.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying everyone is clamoring to own a Porsche. Just that I can more easily see someone paying what air cooled cars cost today, (and even those are over priced). $50K for a Civic, even an SI....its a lot of money even for the nicest version.

My mention of mileage was simply that every mile someone adds to that will drive the value closer to that of average Civics. Its not a collector car that is likely to maintain its value. As for European cars depreciating -most new cars do..unless one is talking about a few very limited production specialty cars.

Again I hear what you're saying but to the Honda sports car community, that 5K Civic Si is the kind of thing people lust over. It's a blank canvas waiting for an artist to paint on. The point I was making is that bedroom cars are one thing but what someone can afford is another. I can lust after a Ferrari for the rest of my life, but may never be in the position to actually walk into a dealer and buy one new. Even if I had the money, I would never do that anyway, as I have been there done that with a plethora of new Ferrari's, and they just don't get my loins going like they use to. I'd much rather a car from my bedroom wall era. I saw a 458 Spider today and I just couldn't get excited like I once did before working for them. The Matt of old would've waited for the owner to arrive and follow him with camera in hand until I could no longer keep up. However when I see a Subaru STI (mass produced by comparison sake sure), I feel my heart rate spike and I actually stop and admire it. That might have to do with my reticular activating system, but I certainly notice it more with the STI over the Ferrari. My finances are a driving force in that I think. Maybe one day I will be as excited as I once was with Ferrari's, they certainly make a sound that still gets me. Had a 488GTB fly by while I was inside my beachfront apartment and I just knew it when I heard it, that it was a Ferrari. No car short of a modified STI can do that to me these days.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of designers, I just found out Frank Stephenson has a YouTube channel! He's the current design director at McLaren, but was responsible for the X5, Mini, various Maseratis and Ferraris (FXX, F430, QP, etc.). His latest video talks about how he had to design the X5 in 2 hours, and get a full scale model up in six weeks which is insane. His model builders turned out to be the same people who built the Lambo Miura.

I am not doubting the success or love affair with the X5, but I once gave a ride in one to a high stakes flipper between Ferrari of NJ and Wide World Ferrari. Boy did he hate that car. If memory serves me correct, which with cars it usually does, he refereed to it as an "obsolete *************", when I told him that I chose the V8 over the V6. He was in quite the rush to get there to pick up a Challenge Stradale for a New Years celebration and it was a 2 hour drive. :fonz:

Needless to say he wasn't a great conversationalist and I was counting down the miles till our destination.

Last edited:
Reactions: A Y

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
we covered this before, I think, but BaT has this group of no-limit bidders that go nuts for time capsules. As long as it’s showroom-fresh, M5’s Buicks, CRX’s, - they all go for crazy money.

here’s the S2000 chart. Surprisingly less than a handful went for over $50k, most of them CR’s. Maybe it’s a supply thing? I see a lot of low mile S2k auctions and this is the first Civic Si I can remember

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean that's the part I don't get, a S2000 sure, an NSX, some more, but a Civic?

Again to reiterate it's not just a Civic. It's about the same difference between a base Porsche 911 and a GT3. Besides the platform it's built on it shares almost nothing with the a base or even a loaded Civic. The Si has an upgraded engine, transmission, brakes, wheels/tires, suspension, interior design (seats, wheel, guages, etc). It's a completely different animal when compared directly to the base model. You certainly can't wind a base NA Civic up to nearly 8500 RPM. New Civic Si's need not apply. I know I'm not exactly preaching to the choir here with all of the luxury sports car owners but @Thrift Vader can you throw a homie a bone here with a Subbie reference. Like a base model Impreza compared to an STI.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My high school dream car was an E46 M3.

I have the means to buy a pristine example.

Does that mean I would pay $50k for one?

Not a f*cking chance.

I think that Civic was poorly bought. Very poorly bought. And I say this as someone who adores those cars and would legitimately pay what I consider to be good money for one. But $50k? Get the f*ck out of here.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not a f*cking chance.

I think that Civic was poorly bought. Very poorly bought. And I say this as someone who adores those cars and would legitimately pay what I consider to be good money for one. But $50k? Get the f*ck out of here.

Then I invite you to check this out. I am in no means an Art appreciator, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'm sure there are many who would rather buy a house then what some people pay for their cars. All I'm saying is who am I to judge.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Not a f*cking chance.

And $50k is not enough for a pristine E46 M3 either ?

Stating the obvious, these are not ‘normal’ people we’re talking about here. Prolly a dude for whom $50k feels like $10k. It should be noted that the loser in the bidding war is a YouTuber who wanted the car for some content he was planning (so there’s other reasons for going above what we might consider the intrinsic value of the car)

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Again to reiterate it's not just a Civic. It's about the same difference between a base Porsche 911 and a GT3. Besides the platform it's built on it shares almost nothing with the a base or even a loaded Civic. The Si has an upgraded engine, transmission, brakes, wheels/tires, suspension, interior design (seats, wheel, guages, etc). It's a completely different animal when compared directly to the base model. You certainly can't wind a base NA Civic up to nearly 8500 RPM. New Civic Si's need not apply. I know I'm not exactly preaching to the choir here with all of the luxury sports car owners but @Thrift Vader can you throw a homie a bone here with a Subbie reference. Like a base model Impreza compared to an STI.
Base Subaru is the most mundane car ever.
Good Subaru's are well finished. And fast.
STI'S are able to chase down almost anything.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads