• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and if you want E450 wagon better do it now, looks like MB is following Volvo/Audit jumping on the raise up band wagon (MB call it all-terrain, volvo call it cross country, audi call it allroad)?

Yeah, I’ve seen that one announced.

I’m torn.

I love the wagons from MB, but being a lot in the woods and mud I’ve gotten my own (w212 wagon) stuck a couple of times already.

Nothing that isn’t easily solved by putting the floor mats under the tires, but it’s still an annoyance. Hence my interest in a GLE or even a GLC (GLS here is priced out of this world), as both of those have plug-in hybride options now. And I know you guys stateside prefer the big V8 and V6 engines, but at a recalculated 6.5 usd a gallon those aren’t realistic options in these parts..

I’d really have to see one up close for ground clearance and see how it reacts to mud tires to see whether this is an option..

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well, if you need the ground clearance you need it...

in general I don't really go much further than "have bathroom/shower" type of camping site, so not really an issue...

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
VW called it "Alltrack" although they killed it for 2020. Maybe it will come back--unclear if it is dead because americans hate wagons or just dead while they handle the mk7 to mk8 transition.

Seems like the latter...
Although we currently get the Variant as the Golf SportWagen and the all-wheel-drive Golf Alltrack, VW will not be sending us the new one. Just for confirmation, we asked a VW U.S. spokesman if there was any chance we might see it on our shores. His terse reply: "None."

I think in the US wagon is a very specific premium/niche area, and VW just doesn't have that..., I would think most Audi/Volvo/MB wagon owner are quite loyal (also even given that I think Volvo seldom sell true wagon, mostly Cross Country)

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yup. I did what I could to frame the E class wagon to the wifey as a fantastic option. Trying was pointless.

This is particularly strange since she is an architect. The wagon is the most functional and efficient format for a passenger car, aside from a minivan. More space, zero downsides.

Also, lighter and more fuel efficient than a similar sized SUV. She is a lefty too, no?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think in the US wagon is a very specific premium/niche area, and VW just doesn't have that..., I would think most Audi/Volvo/MB wagon owner are quite loyal (also even given that I think Volvo seldom sell true wagon, mostly Cross Country)

Volvo will be the second to last company to sell wagons in the U.S. Mercedes will be the last.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
This is particularly strange since she is an architect. The wagon is the most functional and efficient format for a passenger car, aside from a minivan. More space, zero downsides.

Also, lighter and more fuel efficient than a similar sized SUV. She is a lefty too, no?

all true.

but you know what you want you know what you want. Little i bothered to say since she's the one DDing it.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yup. I did what I could to frame the E class wagon to the wifey as a fantastic option. Trying was pointless.

my wife looked at E450 and told me it's butt ugly and then I had to move on...

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Volvo will be the second to last company to sell wagons in the U.S. Mercedes will be the last.

or maybe all of them just moved to the raised up wagon with the exception or RS and AMG line for the super loyal customer...

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yea, my wife hates wagons too. Doesn't matter how functional, efficient, or even of they have plenty of power and are good looking...she hates them.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea, my wife hates wagons too. Doesn't matter how functional, efficient, or even of they have plenty of power and are good looking...she hates them.

Anytime I think of a wagon I remember the Magnum. Probably one of the last great American Sports Wagons. It had potential if given more time on the market

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
was it "sporty" or just powerful engine I think it looked good though (like how the old Chrysler 300 stills looks "up to no good"), has Caddy exit wagon as well?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Whatever happened to that RS6 Avant coming to the states? It’s not vaporware - I was able to see and touch it at the LA auto show last year - but now there’s been no news

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
was it "sporty" or just powerful engine I think it looked good though (like how the old Chrysler 300 stills looks "up to no good"), has Caddy exit wagon as well?

425 Horsepower with a 170mph top speed in 2005. Sure it was. These things were punchy muscle cars (only the RT and SRT8 models though)

78AE8A37-C529-4090-8F46-7DB587D91F47.jpeg

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh and sorry to disagree again, but the Magnum was really crappy. Like, one of the worst cars of its day that I’d driven. Wallowed around turns like a pig in mud, the body roll would actually pitch you against your passenger (on the slippery plastic leather bench seat) on left turns. Lots of nvh on the powertrain, falling plastic pieces from the interior. Steering so vague I was constantly wandering outside of my lane...ugh.

I rented one for a SF - LA - Vegas trip and I would have returned it to Hertz 20 miles in id my wife and brother in law hadn’t offered to share driving duties (they hated it too). And then a Dodge salesman buddy had me over on a slow day to screw around with test drives and stuff and I hated it all over again (this is where I literally got thrown into his lap while making a turn).

he said that he could probably get me $10k off the car, which is interesting because the sticker price was $38k (so...a 26% discount??) but of course I still said no.

sorry for the violent reaction but I really, really hated the Magnum

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads