• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
05s (first year ?) and 06 go for a little less. If you opt for a regular Carrera there are even more choices

Good call on the 997; they’re beastly!

What’s the difference between the two winters? Never been to DC

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
That's my weather. (Hokkaido).
There is a local guy who drives a Porsche GT3 in winter.
My car pulled another car out of a ditch. and never gets stuck.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thought Hokkaido got a ton of snow, the first time (and the last time) I was in Hokkaido when I was a 6 years old? always wanted to go back though

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's my weather. (Hokkaido).
There is a local guy who drives a Porsche GT3 in winter.
My car pulled another car out of a ditch. and never gets stuck.

Is there really a better vehicle for snow? Other then an H1 Hummer or UNIMOG of course, but good luck trying to find a good (not trashed) example for $30K. I’ll have to find a reliable tow rope when I finally pull the trigger on the STI

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
thought Hokkaido got a ton of snow, the first time (and the last time) I was in Hokkaido when I was a 6 years old? always wanted to go back though
We get wicked snow.
Like 1ft in an hour. drive to work in a white out. i am not joking. too drunk to lie. winter is frozen hell.

and we are Subie or gtfo.

Come back. i'll host you.
Warm hospitality, fun conversation with locals.
and amazing food.

Last edited:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Is there really a better vehicle for snow? Other then an H1 Hummer or UNIMOG of course, but good luck trying to find a good (not trashed) example for $30K. I’ll have to find a reliable tow rope when I finally pull the trigger on the STI

Subaru is the 205 live of the car world.

not the rock. but can haul.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good call on the 997; they’re beastly!

What’s the difference between the two winters? Never been to DC

Very mild. We get cold weather (sub 20s) for a little bit and then it's back up into the 40s and 50s. In January. We haven't had snow for the last 2 winters yet schools still closed

A normal February Tuesday in Toronto would shut down DC for a week.

Truer words have never been spoken

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More Toronto winter than DC weather!

Some interesting answers and love the variety. Low key using this data to influence a daily driver thought...

The Golf R sedan (AKA S3) is great but I miss a slush box.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More Toronto winter than DC weather!

For Toronto-ish winters I would switch from a C2s to a C4 in order to stay within the target price range. I would still buy a second set of wheels with snow tires though

nice. that's good value. Carrera 4 would do a good job.

Yep

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
My friend has me almost 100% convinced an RX8 is a steal of a car. why?

These Factory BBS Wheels, with triangles in them.

And a replacement engine+gearbox is only $1,300.

I've had a lot of fun over the years trying to drive slow cars fast. squeezing every horsepower out of them. Corolla's etc.
I'm a fast driver, and can't milk a fast car on the street.

The RX8 seems like a compromise, a car that could be fast in the right hands. driven with wrath. a driver's car.

And the whole fam can ride in it.

Try to sway me on it. :lurk:

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My friend has me almost 100% convinced an RX8 is a steal of a car. why?

These Factory BBS Wheels, with triangles in them.

And a replacement engine+gearbox is only $1,300.

I've had a lot of fun over the years trying to drive slow cars fast. squeezing every horsepower out of them. Corolla's etc.
I'm a fast driver, and can't milk a fast car on the street.

The RX8 seems like a compromise, a car that could be fast in the right hands. driven with wrath. a driver's car.

And the whole fam can ride in it.

Try to sway me on it. :lurk:

I’ll have to admit that after all this time, this commercial has stuck with me.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Something "Secret sauce" about them.

Are we staring down the slow car driven fast rabbit hole?
where things other than 0-60, hp matter?

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something "Secret sauce" about them.

Are we staring down the slow car driven fast rabbit hole?
where things other than 0-60, hp matter?

0-60 times and hp are important on some level. But they are far from the end all be all. Perhaps not having to be the fastest car and worrying about 0-60 times is a sign of maturity. There was a great letter from the editor in a recent PCA monthly magazine. He talked about when he was a kid memorizing stats such a hp, 0-60 times, 1/4 mile etc. for a variety of cars and thinking that the car with the best numbers is the best car. I could identify with that, as I was much the same when I was growing up. However, you get older drive more cars, have more experience, and realize, that there are qualities that go far beyond 0-60 times and horsepower in terms of what makes a car fun to drive and truly special.

In addition, as I've said here before, many of my friends and acquaintances who own very quick modern cars are going back and buying cars from the past like air cooled '80s 911s, 944Turbos, 944S2s, original NSXs, Ferrari 308s, and BMW 2002s. They enjoy going for drives with other car guys. These are cars that are no means quick by today's standards, but they are fun to drive and an experience. When I drive my 328, I've had guys with newer faster cars, roll down their windows to ask about the car and actually wait as the light changes so they can hear my car and watch it in motion. My car is 30 years old and isn't going to win a drag race unless the other car is also 30 years old, but it is still fun to drive. I've met up with other guys who have more HP and quicker more modern sports cars and some guys who also have 30+ years old cars and we all have fun driving together. The car you are looking at is far newer, so you won't have the compromises one often sees with very old cars. Wishing you luck with whatever you decide.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads