• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
savagegeese recently reviewed the E53 and talked about its Rube Goldbergesque mild hybrid I6:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you had only one car, you drove in winter conditions, and had $30k or less (USD) to blow, used or new, what would you have as a daily driver?

Include three reasons why you chose that car for your lifestyle. For me, it would have to be a Volvo V70R wagon.

- It's (relatively) fast
- It's a wagon that can be bought in manual transmission
- Volvo seats are comfortable for long road trips
Going back to this question, this indeed seems to be a prime “use case” for Subaru, but my choice would be to repurchase my old E90 M3. The same reasons that made it the most special daily driver when new, are the same reasons it’s the most special daily driver under $30k.

here’s a pic in its “Christmas livery”:

E7E4E6E4-8276-4ADB-A7F6-59F9445ECBC3.jpeg

I don’t have much experience driving in snow, but lotsa people say you can drive it in snow - carefully and with winter tires

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going back to this question, this indeed seems to be a prime “use case” for Subaru, but my choice would be to repurchase my old E90 M3. The same reasons that made it the most special daily driver when new, are the same reasons it’s the most special daily driver under $30k.

View attachment 1395829

I don’t have much experience driving in snow, but lotsa people say you can drive it in snow - carefully and with winter tires

Love the wheels!

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1395829

Thanks for a creative answer! The safe bet is a Subaru for sure, but that interior is not worthy of a daily driver.

Toyota has a nicer setup!

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
savagegeese recently reviewed the E53 and talked about its Rube Goldbergesque mild hybrid I6:

that's decently positive, think it's the right call for the target audience (similar to the "M" performance), think BMW is only moving to mild hybrid in 2021, not sure about Audi (already did?)

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 5 series LCI just announced has a mild hybrid I6 too. I guess that's a 2021 model year?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yup, no power bump on anyone except 530e, there is 545e but not coming to the US (545e is B58 with plug in hybrid system think that would be an combination I would buy)

edit: looks like the power bump info on 530e is conflicting some source say there is some say there isn't

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
2020 WRB Subaru STI

-Rack & Pinion steering
-Single Turbo (glorious turbo lag)
-No bullshit direct injection, so zero carbon cleaning required
2020 Sti for $30k or less?

come on.....

I'd be more concerned with McLaren since they trimmed some fat recently.

Also don't Subies tell knock knock jokes ?
not in my experience. we are on our 4th consecutive subie.
but for 30k, a GRB hatch with a EJ257 would be a strong winter car.
subies don't like heat much. as they keep a lot of heat under the hood. they really are happier in winter. and you have to be the guy who remote starts it, then makes a coffee.and lets it warm up before driving.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2020 Sti for $30k or less?

come on.....

The STI I want is $36K. In this economy sure why not. In New Jersey Subaru is offering 0% interest for 64 months, and that was before the shutdown. These cars are mostly just sitting costing the dealership money. Plus dealerships don't make didly squat with New Car Sales. A vast majority of their funds come from either Pre Owned and After-Sales (Service)

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
That's a great deal if you can get it.
It would get you through many winters safely and comfortably.

maybe pop in to the dealer, and see how hard you can negotiate in the current climate.

We drive Subaru mostly because snow. and they are not huge Land cruisers. just regular cars, any time. that are cheap to own and maintain.

If we lived in a warmer place, like Sendai? our driveway would look different.

My Daily would be a Toyota Crown Athlete wagon.
The mom car would be a Suzuki Hustler or a fat Mini.

And a play car. which is still undecided.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you had only one car, you drove in winter conditions, and had $30k or less (USD) to blow, used or new, what would you have as a daily driver?

Include three reasons why you chose that car for your lifestyle. For me, it would have to be a Volvo V70R wagon.

- It's (relatively) fast
- It's a wagon that can be bought in manual transmission
- Volvo seats are comfortable for long road trips

Define winter: DC winter or Toronto winter

For a DC winter I would like to go with 6/speed E90/E92 M3 but any example under $30k would be ragged TF out pre-LCI and would still need periodic rod bearing replacement. Ugh. I think a 2006 Porsche 997.1 Carrera S would do the trick. A second set of wheels for winter tires, a roof rack to carry bicycles, and a box for extra ****

30772561715_a0b1775441_b (1).jpg

I'm single so that's all the space I need. It's quick, it handles well, not ruled by electronics and that body style is the best of the water cooled 911s.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads